Headphone Port Combination

I would not like an adapter at all. Among the suggestions so far I like this one the best:

IPB Image
Link

That is the exact link i posted last page 0_o

I think, more than the need for an adapter (which sucked on the GBASP), that having one port for all of those functions would interfere with some usage, e.g. Mic + headphones at the same time, TV-out + headphones at the same time, both of which I can see myself doing.

donny662 said:
Have you looked at a 4 conductor 3.5mm jack like the newer ipod shuffles use? The ipod shuffle uses it for both headphones and USB (pwr, gnd, D+, D-; I believe). I think video cameras often use the same 4 conductor 3.5mm jack to get composite video and stereo audio out (Video, Audio R, Audio L, gnd).

If you can squeeze UART (I'm not sure what lines you need) and any other thing you want into 4 conductors, I think the 3.5mm jack would be ideal. Headphones can be plugged directly into it, and the 4-pole plugs should be fairly cheap, as it is pretty standard, for users who want to access the other features.

This webpage has a picture of the plug and its pinout for video/audio in a few media devices. I kind of don't like how video and audio ground is shared, but I'm not sure if that will affect quality that much.

Mouser has a 5 conductor jack, MF PN: STX-3150-5N, but I have never seen that before. I don't think it will be as cheap or easy to get as the 4-pole jacks and plugs.

suggestion 1.
Two 4 pole jacks, one for headphones,mic and another for tv-out (with audio). when either of these are plugged in, builtin speakers switch off.
suggestion 2
Two 4 pole jacks, one for mic,UART and another for tv-out (with audio-can also plug headphones here). when either of these are plugged in, built-in speakers switch off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eolair said:
I would not like an adapter at all. Among the suggestions so far I like this one the best:

S1003863230.jpg

Link

I like that one, but I also find this one very interesting:

SJ-63516.jpg

Link

This one was suggested by DawnOfTheRent, and I find this one very cool. Also, it takes up very little space.

FlippantBird said:

IPB Image
Link
That is the exact link i posted last page 0_o

That's why he said "among the suggestions so far"

-God Ginrai

Make sure the headphone jack isn't flimsy. The one on my crap dell PC doesn't keep it in all the way.

The problem is knowing how many conductors we need, I almost posted the exact same thing as PCKlee123, but then I realized that 8 conductors is not enough.

First S-Video + audio is 2 for the sound and 2 for the video, at least 1 ground means 5 right there (I like a 5-conductor 3.5mm, with a "facing" connector like God Ginrai and DawnOfTheRent)

Second, what kind of I/O? serial is 4 on its own, Power, Ground, and 2 data lines. I like a 2.5mm 4-conductor for this alone, it could work.

So minimum of 9 just for that, and no microphone or line-in yet. (I think Stereo Line-in/Mic is best, those who want this for a portable music tool might like it.) I think mic/stereo in is another 3.

So we need 12 conductors? That is a 4-pin plus a key with 8 in it, minimum (share the data and mic ground and 7 is possible).

The 3.5 with a key is looking good, but is it low on connectors?

To those who think it is a case of A/V out on one 3.5mm, we need S-Video, and that is one more pin.

Is it possible to have 2 connectors very close for the same effect (and have a custom plug mold made with both connectors in it?), or would it be simpler to separate them by a little?

I guess that video out can be totally separated connector from audio. There's no reason for joining them up. So we need some good standard connector for (s)video, may be s-video one. Then 3.5 jack for audio (which takes 4 lines including gnd and mic) with some additional conductors for UART (which takes 4 (?) lines including +5V and gnd). We need attach just 4 conductor alongside 4 pin audio jack (or can use miniUSB alteration which means separated UART device connection). Is it acceptable?

Oh, I just realize that miniUSB has 5 conductors. Some marked as "x" which "May be N/C, GND or used as an attached device presence indicator (shorted to GND with resistor)". May be useful for hacking alteration for UART communication.

I really want a normal 3.5mm headphone jack. While video and mic won't be used that much from the most people I think nearly everyone will use headphones at least from time to time.
You'd always have to carry around this adaptor and taping it to the headphones is not an option for people who are using them for other purposes, too.

Squidge said:
3_5_Phone_Jack.jpg

Seems just as good :)
That one looks useful if it'll fit. Similar to the Sony solution but just different enough, and doesn't require an adapter just to use the headphones, which is the key factor IMHO.

To help lower the total number of pins that needs to be connected to the outside world, I have the following suggestion: Maxim-ic has a USB2.0 tranceiver chip capable in muxing UART signals. In other words, the UART wiring wil use the same port as USB. Although it's not the perfect solution, you cannot use USB and UART at the same time. It offers a nice, robust connector for the UART signals. I know for sure that not everybody is going to use the UART. And maybe it's possible to have some pads inside for modding, so the die-hard hardware modders can use USB and UART at the same time.

the link ofcourse:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4333/t/al

oh, ps: I not sure if it's possible to connect this to the OMAP processor regarding the USB signals

crap, that true :'(

Maxim also has USB analog switches, like the MAX4906. This can be used as illustrated in Figure 7 of the datasheet.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3020
Sensing the VUSB voltage, we can tell if it should opperate as USB or UART. The problem when operating in UART mode is that the pandora cannot supply 5v or 3.3v, it might be possible to do something with the ID pin. But I'm not sure how it would look like.

It might be possible that the pandora puts 3.3V on the VUSB (UART mode), and when the pandora is connected on a host (eg PC), it must detect the supplied 5V by the host, en switch to USB mode. But this requires some additional circuit, and great care has to be taken for the protection circuit.

just like to say if this weird adapter idea does come through I would certainly expect this small adapter to come with the pandora so I can use my headphones straight away without fuss...

Squidge said:
miniK0bo said:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4333/t/al

Nice idea, but dropping USB2 down to 12MB/sec just to be able to mux a connector kinda sucks.

Agreed, not worth it.

miniK0bo said:
crap, that true :'(

Maxim also has USB analog switches, like the MAX4906. This can be used as illustrated in Figure 7 of the datasheet.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3020
Sensing the VUSB voltage, we can tell if it should opperate as USB or UART. The problem when operating in UART mode is that the pandora cannot supply 5v or 3.3v, it might be possible to do something with the ID pin. But I'm not sure how it would look like.

It might be possible that the pandora puts 3.3V on the VUSB (UART mode), and when the pandora is connected on a host (eg PC), it must detect the supplied 5V by the host, en switch to USB mode. But this requires some additional circuit, and great care has to be taken for the protection circuit.

But what if you need the UART to troubleshoot a USB connection? It would be a fairly evil catch22 solved by opening the pandora and soldering up the motherboard.

Or possibly use a Serial GPS and a USB mouse? We can't stifle functionality like that.

Squidge said:
Eolair said:

S1003863230.jpg
Inventor: KUROSAWA NOBUYUKI (JP); SUZUKI HIDEO (JP)
Applicant: SONY CORP (JP); SMK KK (JP)
http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&...001033Y&F=0

However:

3_5_Phone_Jack.jpg

Seems just as good :)

Funny looking components. But we shouldn't forget, that all ext-ports/connectors actualy should be at the BACK side of the unit, while we all want the Headphone Jack at the FRONT side of the Unit. Most people seem to forget this. AFAIK MWeston sayed a while ago, that there is enough space between the Shoulder Buttons for such things.
So I really wonder, if such a multi-zulty-thingy like these big "3.5mm+craparound" really find a way into the Pandora. ^^"""
I could live with an Adaper for Headphones, but the elegant way would be seperate connectors so we could use more than one plug-in at the same time without a huge 10x "cable-whip" adapter attached. :D

If we don't end up with a 3.5mm headphon jak on the console itself I will eat you.

And not in a good way.

Back