Release Hotfix 6 Alpha 4 released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
And here is the fourth Alpha, with some more bugfixes and one new feature by T4b: You can now configure what will happen if you close your lid.

WizardStan and notaz improved the charging routines, the default settings should work fine for anyone, though it's now possible to tweak the values (an editor is not yet included).

It would be great if you guys could help testing if it breaks anything or if it works fine so far!

WiFi has also been fixed.

The changes for HF6a4 are:

* XFCE4 got a cleaned up menu as well as a more useful panel bar (I hope :) ) including Toggle WiFi as well as a quick CPU Speed changer

* Included dosfstools and curl

* New feature: Lid-Settings

* Pandora-Button for XFCE4-Menu now works way better

* Tempels PNDStore is built-in

* Caines new Nub-Settings are built-in

* midori and Arora have been completely removed - please use the PND version. Instead, links2 has been included as quick and fast browser and is now being used for viewing documentation.

* NetworkManager has been upgraded to a slightly newer version. netm-cli (the command line version) is included in the OS. This will be used by MiniMenu to connect to the internet (not included yet).

* A new default GUI selection has been included: "GUISelect". If you select this as default GUI, you'll be asked while booting whether you rather want to boot into MiniMenu or XFCE4

* kernel: WizardStan's optimized charger settings have been included. This should improve charging and increase the life of your battery. notaz made them configurable and tweaked them even more.

Thanks of course to all the devs (mainly notaz, sebt3, WizardStan, Ivanovic, tempel, Caine, Milkshake and skeezix) for the help so far :)

Still stuff to do for HF6:

* Include Tutorial for new users (work has begun)

* Include updating of PNDs via internet into MiniMenu (mostly done, except for WiFi connection)

* Include charging screen (i.e. if you connect the Pandora to AC when it's switched off)

Please, report any bugs you may encouter on the Bugtracker!

Here's the download: Zaxxon Hotfix 6 Alpha 4 Flash

As this is a full flash, it will delete all your personal settings and files that are stored on the NAND! Be sure you don't have anything important there!

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

You can also use the SD Installer and run HF6a3 off SD Card.

Grab the image needed for the SD Installer here

Enjoy :)

Takes a little longer to load for the first time - doesn't it ?

Whatever,

seems to work good so far. Did a short test on the lid-close-settings and all three options seemed to work as supposed to.

Just one side note: If a user selects to go into low-power mode when the lid is closed shouldn't there be an option to enable the reversed function (go to normal mode when lid is opened) ?

Edit: One sideeffect I noticed: As it seems setting the lid-close-settings to "low power when closed" also affects the function of the "screensaver" meaning after leaving the pandora idle for a while (with lid opened), it goes also into low-power mode instead of just turning off the screen.

Edit2: Setting it back to "turn display off" reverts it to the old behaviour when idling for a little while

Last edited by a moderator:
All works well.. but PLEASE include Melbourne into the Timezone section on the install screen.
Surely Sydney is on there, though? I didn't think the rivalry had reached such a fever pitch that people are arguing over inclusion in software settings now.

I think all those timezones comes as a standard list, so I don't think it's an easy job to add extra!! (otherwise I might try get some Irish ones included!! :p )

All works well.. but PLEASE include Melbourne into the Timezone section on the install screen.
Surely Sydney is on there, though? I didn't think the rivalry had reached such a fever pitch that people are arguing over inclusion in software settings now.

Sydney is there but Melbourne is SO MUCH better :p (It just makes sense to have all the states)

Sydney is there but Melbourne is SO MUCH better :p (It just makes sense to have all the states)
Except that the timezones are exactly the same, which is why it states 'select the location nearst to you', not 'where you live'.

Whatever,

seems to work good so far. Did a short test on the lid-close-settings and all three options seemed to work as supposed to.

Just one side note: If a user selects to go into low-power mode when the lid is closed shouldn't there be an option to enable the reversed function (go to normal mode when lid is opened) ?

Edit: One sideeffect I noticed: As it seems setting the lid-close-settings to "low power when closed" also affects the function of the "screensaver" meaning after leaving the pandora idle for a while (with lid opened), it goes also into low-power mode instead of just turning off the screen.

Edit2: Setting it back to "turn display off" reverts it to the old behaviour when idling for a little while
I've noted it, but only after I submitted it. :rolleyes:

Problem is I can't find where this "screensaver" kind of thing is (the file which is executed), so I don't know what exactly happens.

For now better don't use it (respectively only the shutdown option, which seems to work well, because it isn't affected by this screensaver thing ^^).

Doubt this helps but the screensaver is removed by modifying this file /etc/X11/xorg.conf so perhaps the settings for it are also there (probably not)?

Doubt this helps but the screensaver is removed by modifying this file /etc/X11/xorg.conf so perhaps the settings for it are also there (probably not)?
Looked at it, nothing about the screen saver. I just need to know how it is triggered and what exactly it does for turning the screen off - probably a little change there would be enough to make it work right.

Ah and:

Actually it should just do the reverse action when opening it automatically. Maybe I should make this more clear in the settings script.

Interesting facts about PNDstore that everyone might like to know:

1. Command-line interface is now accessible. Run "pndst --help" to find out how to use it.
  2. GUI can be launched from command-line as "PNDstore".
  3. Underlying libraries can be accessed from Python programs through the "pndstore_core" package. Make cool new interfaces!

Just have to tell you that this hotfix release Alpha 4 is getting better and better. The overall ease of use is definately taken up a notch and the additional user improvements are well done.

I love the new wifi on and off and the lid options. So far so good. I will put it through some more paces in the morning.

Thanks for some amazing work. Cannot wait to see how the battery changes work!

Actually it should just do the reverse action when opening it automatically. Maybe I should make this more clear in the settings script.
Stupid me, works like charm (except the screensaver-thingy of course)

Edit: not every time -> sometimes, after leaving it with lid closed for a while, opening the lid again does not do the trick, I then have to wake up the pandora manually

This is normal for a Hotfix update of this sort.
What makes this Hotfix update so special ? Also it is (as always) a full flash, so where is the difference ? It occured to me that it took a little bit longer - but maybe that was only because I paid to much attention to it, because blue protoman mentioned it first, but then edited it out of his first post.

All in all HF6A4 seems to work fine now - thanks a lot.

Back