Release Hotfix 6 Alpha 4 released

Requests still coming in. ;)

ED, do you think you could do this extremely simple fix to make the DEL key work?

It's not the ideal solution, but I guess it's something.

Also, why not include slaeshjag's Keyboard layout changer? It doesn't have cycling (through the keymaps) yet, but it's a very basic tool that I think anybody who's multilingual and wants to type in their own language would be happy to have. (if you see the thread, I just now figured out how to create a custom Russian keymap. Apparently what I was asking for had been possible for months, only I had no good instructions to follow so I thought it couldn't be done).

(hmm, on the other hand, one argument against including it is that you'd now need to put your custom keymaps somewhere on the NAND, instead of in appdata. And also NAND-apps can't be updated)

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of the box support for sftp in Gigolo would be nice

I notice that the Pandora button now doesn't open the menu when the panel is hidden. The button did open the menu from a hidden panel in HotFix5. Another thing, the mouse pointer flickers to the top left of the panel and then back, when pressing the Pandora button. I'm glad that this is being worked on.

I agree with having a working Del key

and I also like:

- Swapping Caps-Lock and Tab

- Using shoulder buttons for mouse buttons (but that needs to switchable for compatibility with some software)

Keep up the good work everyone

Ok, a few quick first impressions.

I like the new stuff on the taskbar. Yet, now there's little room left for your normal windows. Maybe some of those icons to the right of the date/time could take up less space? The white/grey one and the blue one seem to do the same thing.

2nd: when you click on web browser in the start menu, you're given a choice between something called "Debian Sensible Browser" which fails to start at all if you choose it, and Links Text Browser. Since Links2 is already included in the OS for reading documentation, why not offer that as an option?

3rd: About saving horizontal space in the taskbar, again: maybe the remaining battery time could be placed UNDER the %, much in the way that the date is now placed under the time? (EDIT: I just noticed that it was like that in Hotfix 5. Please bring that back; it looked perfectly fine. Horizontal space is precious on the taskbar, because if there are over 7 windows open currently, you can't scroll to the 8th one you open, you can only close a previous window)

4th: I may be imagining it, but keeping a d-pad direction pressed in the start menu seems to scroll slower than it used to. Please bring the old scrolling speed back, if this is correct (or maybe this can be manually edited by the user somewhere?). In fact, it's not just in the start menu, it seems to be slower everywhere, even in my Links2 PND.

EDIT: Ok, now I'm SURE of it. The scrolling is not only dramatically slower in the start menu, but in all other programs as well. PLEASE bring back the old scrolling speed, or at least tell me where it can be edited back to the old speed manually.

EDIT2: It has been brought to my attention that I might be the only one with this issue. In which case, it might be because of my SD card. Hmm.

Was just trying to break a million in SGD and then decided to take a break to play some MAME. I was playing Pac N Pal in honor of Hakmanplayer and put the Pandora down to go grab a drink, then I decided to play with the neighbors dogs. When I initially put the Pandora down, my lid mode is now in low power when closed, and I saw the power lightpipe dim from bright green to not so bright when closed. However when I came back, say 10 minutes later, the power light was bright green and I touched nothing. It was making noises again too, meaning the background music from the game stopped and then it came back. Before opening the screen I could see that it was already on meaning the LCD while closed. I'm trying to recreate the problem now.

EDIT: Just got 1.1mil in SGD :)

Also when I closed the lid after that game, after about 10 minutes, the low power light brightened, sound turned on. Something must be triggering it. Also need to soft reboot because screen has gone black and both MAME and SGD crashed after reopening the case and pressing a button. On second look, screen is already active when opened after being closed, pressing a button turns the screen black putting it back into low power mode. Slide of the power switch allows unit to continue working without soft reboot (Pandora button/power switch).

Thanks for all those nice additions. I'd second that swapping the Caps Lock and Tab key would be great. I rarely use Caps Lock personally, while the Tab key is essential for shell completion and web form navigation. Currently it is quite hard to press.

hi the pandora button still does not work with taskbar on autohide.

the wifi connection seems much improved - not fussy about tkp encryption.

keep up the excellent work peeps!

edit/

the password to my wifi is not being saved when i try to edit my connection?

edit2/

seems had to create a keypass in order for wifi password to be saved

Thanks for all those nice additions. I'd second that swapping the Caps Lock and Tab key would be great. I rarely use Caps Lock personally, while the Tab key is essential for shell completion and web form navigation. Currently it is quite hard to press.

DO NOT TOUCH THE TAB KEY!!!

It is really convenient and I use it all the time. With fn + space you can tab it with one thumb.

Edit: Sorry, maybe overreaction, but i got really used to it ;)

Lol and it seems you also use the Caps Lock key sometimes ;)

Of course the best solution would be to have an official way to change this ouserselves, in a user friendly way...
Don't know about "official", but changing this isn't very hard. Check out the discussion over here:

(especially page 2 and this post)

Basically, all you need to do to change any key assignment is to edit the .pndXmodmap file (which I think is in your Home directory). You can also have several "modes" for your keyboard to switch between. You can read more info in the thread.

I'll try to write a guide for all this once I get more time.

It is really convenient and I use it all the time. With fn + space you can tab it with one thumb.

Edit: Sorry, maybe overreaction, but i got really used to it ;)

I like it where it is also - in PandaBAS you use the TAB key to edit a line of BASIC, and having it under your right thumb is lovely.

What I really want is some way for the FN key to be detectable from SDL's keyboard scanner.

D.

Was just trying to break a million in SGD and then decided to take a break to play some MAME. I was playing Pac N Pal in honor of Hakmanplayer and put the Pandora down to go grab a drink, then I decided to play with the neighbors dogs. When I initially put the Pandora down, my lid mode is now in low power when closed, and I saw the power lightpipe dim from bright green to not so bright when closed. However when I came back, say 10 minutes later, the power light was bright green and I touched nothing. It was making noises again too, meaning the background music from the game stopped and then it came back. Before opening the screen I could see that it was already on meaning the LCD while closed. I'm trying to recreate the problem now.

EDIT: Just got 1.1mil in SGD :)

Also when I closed the lid after that game, after about 10 minutes, the low power light brightened, sound turned on. Something must be triggering it. Also need to soft reboot because screen has gone black and both MAME and SGD crashed after reopening the case and pressing a button. On second look, screen is already active when opened after being closed, pressing a button turns the screen black putting it back into low power mode. Slide of the power switch allows unit to continue working without soft reboot (Pandora button/power switch).

That's the same issue I reported here

It appeared in alpha 1 and is still here with alpha 4.

I am not sure if the "Lid Closed Settings" are working correctly in Minimenu. I can change the setting, but it never seems to save my changes (always defaults back to screen off after I change it to low power mode). Please forgive me if I missed something simple, I recently received my Pandora and am still getting used to things.

ED, you recently marked this bug as fixed. Are you sure? The desktop icons no longer flash in HF6, but the start menu still seems to become unresponsive for a few seconds about 5 seconds after you close any program, just like before.

I recently installed a 2010-05-01 version of the OS, and can confirm that in that version, after you close a program, there are no slowdowns. You can easily test this:

Open a PND, close it, then immediately open the Start menu and press "up" on the d-pad. In any OS version after hotfix4, it will stop scrolling after a few seconds, then start scrolling again.

4th: I may be imagining it, but keeping a d-pad direction pressed in the start menu seems to scroll slower than it used to. Please bring the old scrolling speed back, if this is correct (or maybe this can be manually edited by the user somewhere?). In fact, it's not just in the start menu, it seems to be slower everywhere, even in my Links2 PND.

EDIT: Ok, now I'm SURE of it. The scrolling is not only dramatically slower in the start menu, but in all other programs as well. PLEASE bring back the old scrolling speed, or at least tell me where it can be edited back to the old speed manually.

EDIT2: It has been brought to my attention that I might be the only one with this issue. In which case, it might be because of my SD card. Hmm.
An update on this.

Recently, I screwed something up on my regular NAND-installed HF5 firmware and had to reflash. To my great surprise, the scroll speed is ALSO much slower after I reflashed with a fresh HF5 firmware, just like on the new HF6 I tested from SD card.

Before this, from the first version of the firmware, I had always updated with PNDs, never with full reflashes. Is it possible that this "scroll-speed" setting is something that was not changed with a PND hotfix upgrade, but only with a reflash?

If so, maybe it's possible to switch it back manually? Anyone know anything?

Or maybe I can just try reflashing my Pandora with an "original, no-hotfixes" firmware image and upgrade to HF5 with PNDs like before. Anyone know if an early version of the firmware can still be downloaded somewhere? (EDIT: found it. Right, I'm going to test my theory)

EDIT2: Yes, the scrolling is faster in the 2010-05-01 OS, though still not as fast as it used to be on my Pandora, I think (scrolling isn't really the correct term, but I don't know what the correct one is). So I probably had some version from another date installed by default, but still, this is a definite improvement. While I have this old OS installed, I might as well check out if it's true that DOSBox became slower somewhere between hotfix 3 and 5, as Prometheus said...

EDIT3: Nope, DOSBox doesn't seem any faster in the earlier OS. Either it was just perception, or the speed difference is due to the older version being faster.

I must say I REALLY miss the fast "scrolling" or whatever it's called (maybe "cursor movement speed"?). The lack of it makes just about everything I do on the Pandora slower. Are there any other old Zaxxon OS versions I could try reflashing with? I want to find the one that Craig flashed my Pandora with in January 2011, that had the fast scrolling speed (if it's not possible to change this manually somewhere).

EDIT5: Yes! I found it! It can be changed in "Keyboard" settings, "Repeat Speed"! Awesome! Okay, problem solved. :)

What's the proper way to set this up for development? I've tried actions similar to torpor's bollocks setup, but when getting the -dev version of libgles-omap3 it breaks the library and GLES apps don't run. Is there another place to get the proper version? Am I getting from the right repository at all?

What's the proper way to set this up for development? I've tried actions similar to torpor's bollocks setup, but when getting the -dev version of libgles-omap3 it breaks the library and GLES apps don't run. Is there another place to get the proper version? Am I getting from the right repository at all?

This might not be the right place to ask. But there are a lot of threads in the developement and supportsections.

Back