Release Hotfix 6 Alpha 4 released

EDs also been waiting for me to get on top of minimenu supporting network up/down and tieing in pndstore-like functionality so minimenu can report apps that need updating and so on.

But life has been pretty busy for me .. 6 weeks till the twins show up. (or less..)

jeff

EDs also been waiting for me to get on top of minimenu supporting network up/down and tieing in pndstore-like functionality so minimenu can report apps that need updating and so on.

But life has been pretty busy for me .. 6 weeks till the twins show up. (or less..)

jeff
thanks for the update! wow i didnt realise it was so close to the due date already! very exciting! life definitely has to come first in all of these things.

jeff
thanks for the update! wow i didnt realise it was so close to the due date already! very exciting! life definitely has to come first in all of these things.

Better get 2 more Pandoras now for some retro fun with the kids in a few years... I have one all ready to go for my 9-month old daughter when she comes of age. :)

Not sure if this existed before... because I`ve only just got my Pandora and I`ve flashed it with the latest..

But when I close the lid ( screen goes off ) and if the wifi was on.. that light goes off as well = Normal..

Then after a period of time.. the wifi light is on.. and I can see that the screen is on again.. and this is with the lid closed still.. I haven`t touched it..

Is there a time out or something happening here?? weird... because when I do open the lid( screen on ) I touch a nub and the screen goes blank until I hit the power button to the right to bring it out of sleep

My lid close settings are 'Go into low power mode ( same as when pressing the power button for less than 3 seconds )

Yes, there is still a lot of work to be done.

I was busy with the whole CC / moving production issue, which was top-priority of course.

I hope to get back on working on the HotFix soon :)

Aside from the mentioned problems with wifi and such, has anyone experienced any improvement in gaming speed? I havent flashed this newer firmware yet (still on hf5), so i am curious. Im reluctant to flash back and forth and end up killing the ram.

I guess the gaming speed only improve if you remove the entire Linux OS and start coding everything onto the bare metal without ressource eating OS in between. :D

However, it could already help to switch to the MiniMenu. Still alot stuff runnng under the hood but way less processes than in the full XFCE Desktop.

I guess the next big step is the new Kernel, this could bring some Performance boosts here and there I guess. ^^

I guess the gaming speed only improve if you remove the entire Linux OS and start coding everything onto the bare metal without ressource eating OS in between. :D

However, it could already help to switch to the MiniMenu. Still alot stuff runnng under the hood but way less processes than in the full XFCE Desktop.

I guess the next big step is the new Kernel, this could bring some Performance boosts here and there I guess. ^^

Hi FusionPower, thanks for your insight. We could only hope what new upgrades the next OS release will bring us. :)

Still, i wonder how hf6 compares to hf5 in terms of smoothness. (without the extra overclocking to 900mhz-1ghz)

Hi FusionPower, thanks for your insight. We could only hope what new upgrades the next OS release will bring us. :)

Still, i wonder how hf6 compares to hf5 in terms of smoothness. (without the extra overclocking to 900mhz-1ghz)
It won't make any difference!

If you are expecting noticeable speed boosts from things like this, forget it. I wish it was magic, but it is not.

I know, nothing is easy and only Nintendo can do magic. ^^

But in theory, what could speed up the Pandora, software wise? Any "dirty tricks" or anything? :D

btw. I have an idea:

How about add to mini menu [optional] integration with twitter. It will help find a people for online play:

example:

When running a game ReMooD or DosBox [with IPX/Internet support] minimenu will send a tweet to twitter like: "[user] starts a online Game and wants to play OnLine with other Pandorian. Fell free to connect to [iP] on Port [Port] to play with him"

Isn't it awesome? [And finally OP will get a better online-play integration]

But in theory, what could speed up the Pandora, software wise? Any "dirty tricks" or anything? :D
In addition to overclocking the CPU, you could overclock the RAM.
Sorry, I forgot to write: "dirty tricks WITHOUT overclocking". :D I don't like to torture my poor Pandora, so I avoid OC as much as possible. and besides N64 Emulation many stuff works prety well on 600MHz.

Hey, my first PC only had 40MHz and there were also great games for it. :) A average NDSi doesn't even have 100MHz AFAIK so I'm sure, we can have alot of fun with our default 600MHz and without overclocking our Pandora.

As long as the OS itself doesn't eat up all the Processor Power of the Pandora, I guess we could keep this clocking for a while, I even prefer underclocking, makes much more fun, especialy for the Battery. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the the battery meter labels be set to stop spreading out on the panel bar?

The percentage used to be over the time remaining. It shows that way on boot but then the time remaining moves next to the percentage.

Is there a setting or a fix for this?

Thanks!!!

MHz does not translate exactly to performance, we are doing things on the pandora that would need a pentium 3 on x86. Also overclocking is not damaging at all, overvolting is (opp). People run i5/i7 and other chips regularily at 4-5 ghz on overclocking forums 24/7 no problem for years. Don't be afraid to overclocking stay below opp4 if you are cautious.

In addition to overclocking the CPU, you could overclock the RAM.

Has anyone tried this and had much success with it? I recall other things being on that clock domain, maybe some things that need to be at that clock to function properly..

Something else you could try is building a kernel with some of the errata-workarounds off and hope what you're running doesn't break.

btw. I have an idea:

How about add to mini menu [optional] integration with twitter. It will help find a people for online play:

example:

When running a game ReMooD or DosBox [with IPX/Internet support] minimenu will send a tweet to twitter like: "[user] starts a online Game and wants to play OnLine with other Pandorian. Fell free to connect to [iP] on Port [Port] to play with him"

Isn't it awesome? [And finally OP will get a better online-play integration]

You mean, a standardized open pandora tweet account, that all currently online* pandoras would tweet to when a game is started, so that other games/gamers could react to it?

One problem we've worked on a bit but I've not had time to finish (for obvious reasons :) is a decent way for mmenu to be online; ie: latest beta hotfix does have nmcli in place (command line manager for network) so mmenu could invoke it to manage network (my plan was for mmenu ablke to liwst available networks, be told to connect to one, and disconnect.. manual to start, automatic later); so the basic networkiness is not in yet.

Further of course, people also use xfce and other systems, so it has to work at a DE agnostic way; ie: perhaps at a pnd_run.sh level ('if online && if user_preference_tweet_thing && then_do_it')

Third, need somethign to consume this .. a background running tool for mmenu and for X11 DE's (xfce etc), so that it coudl pop up a list? Problem there is spamminess.. if 2000 pandorians futzing aroudn at once, in and ou tofg games, woudl be a disaster to show that spamming scrolling list, and hard to join in; this is why they have 'rooms' in all those online systems.. so the room manager can show peopel actually waiitng, and break it down by game, and all that.

... or just leave it manual, if peopel are watching the tweet, they could try to contact the player who initiated it all...

... but we have no standard contact mechanism; all the online game services have a live chat mechanism too, to alleviate this and game-joining and all that.

(also, coudl be twitter or something else, jabber or custom.)

I thoght about this stuffg a couple times, and lots of people have beeten it to death, but it sounds like work; not an easy fix, not a night of quick hacking to get there.. itws lots of peopel agreeing on and building a bunch of stuff, and ideally building them as a sensible framework and not a hodge-podge.

(Which is all good, we _do_ need to do this, but we need some folks to step up and do it, and I'm out of play until say December :p )

jeff

Sooo. Do I have to load each hotfix individually or are they culmative? i may have missed something while i was searching for it. :blink:

Back