Release Hotfix 6 Final released!

Bug report :

When manually invoking /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh, i see a nasty syntax error, a missing 'fi' at the line 173 !

Already fixed in HF7 Alpha 1 (you could've checked the bugtracker for this issue ;) )
I thought that Hotfix 6 was the last Hotfix for the old Kernel and the next update is finaly the all new Pandora OS Version. ^^"

Well, that was the plan, but there's no reason to stop fixing bugs and doing updates until DJWillis has the new OS ready, is there? :)

OK, then let's fix bugs. ^^

-I miss the new programs of the last hotfix 6 update in mini menu. No icons for PNDstore or Links2 for example

-Exiting Thunar from MiniMenu doesn't load the menu again, I have to reset my Pandora because Pandora button also doesn't work to bring MiniMenu back

-I never managed to give an built in app a working speed setting OVR option, for example downclocking the built in PDF reader with an ovr file doesn't work.

-ovr doesn't work properly in Desktop mode, I can't hide all these games from GnomeGames in the menus for example, at least clocking with ovr file seems to work.

more to come I guess... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, then let's fix bugs. ^^

-I miss the new programs of the last hotfix 6 update in mini menu. No icons for PNDstore or Links2 for example

PNDStore doesn't make sense until we can start WiFi properly from MiniMenu.

skeezix is working on integrating this, it's just sad that there isn't a GUI for NetworkManager out there.

-Exiting Thunar from MiniMenu doesn't load the menu again, I have to reset my Pandora because Pandora button also doesn't work to bring MiniMenu back

Eh? Anybody else having this problem? Works fine for me, AFAIR.

-I never managed to give an built in app a working speed setting OVR option, for example downclocking the built in PDF reader with an ovr file doesn't work.

The clockspeed in PXML is a MINIMUM clockspeed the app needs. Downclocking will not work, but that's no bug, that's how it's intended to be.

Imagine you're running a multitasking OS and one app clocks your whole system down...

-ovr doesn't work properly in Desktop mode, I can't hide all these games from GnomeGames in the menus for example, at least clocking with ovr file seems to work.

Hm, that's something for skeezix. It seems the .ovr files only apply to minimenu, not to libpnd.

BTW: How about supplying these bugs in the bugtracker, where they should be?

They'll most likely be overseen here at the boards and therefore will probably not be fixed.

The clockspeed in PXML is a MINIMUM clockspeed the app needs. Downclocking will not work, but that's no bug, that's how it's intended to be.

Imagine you're running a multitasking OS and one app clocks your whole system down...
The world is too fast. Why not bring a little slowdown to all this mess ? :D

Is /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh missing from sudoers.d on purpose ?

Is /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh missing from sudoers.d on purpose ?

Well, if it doesn't need root-rights, then it doesn't need to be in there :)

AFAIR sudoers.d hasn't been changed for ages and op_power.sh is working, so it should be fine ;)

op_power.sh needs root rights. I wanted to create an icon, so i checked.

I suppose it's working manually because the power switch is low-level.

Does anybody else have the problem that charging via USB stops when mass storage mode is activated - and doesn't resume after storage has been switched off either?

Eh? Anybody else having this problem? Works fine for me, AFAIR.

Yes, I will finally post in bugtracker as your right evild as I posted about this issue long ago in this thread, here

Only thing is it will exit eventually exit, its just really slow exiting. Don't noticed in XFCE since GUI in always running.

skeezix is working on integrating this, it's just sad that there isn't a GUI for NetworkManager out there.
Huh? I can start WiFi from MiniMenu without trouble, works always. :huh:

Underclocking works perfectly for all "normal" apps from the SD Card, easily to test over the Battery meter. ;)

They'll most likely be overseen here at the boards and therefore will probably not be fixed.
Sorry, this BugTracker looks to complicated for my taste and ways to big grown over the time. ^^" I wouldn't find anything there, a Forum has much more overview. And nothing much seems to happen in the BugTracker when looking at the "progress" bar.

Underclocking works perfectly for all "normal" apps from the SD Card, easily to test over the Battery meter. ;)

Sorry, this BugTracker looks to complicated for my taste and ways to big grown over the time. ^^" I wouldn't find anything there, a Forum has much more overview. And nothing much seems to happen in the BugTracker when looking at the "progress" bar.
Trust me, it is by far easier to have all bug reports collected in one place and finding them there some 2 month later, too. This is basically impossible if bug reports are scattered over the forums. Yes, the progress bar is a useless feature, since it is (in most cases) just either at 0% or at 100%.

Ah, right, if you're using unprotected WiFi-passwords it works, true.

A higher clockrate will not use more battery (unless you increased the OPP).

it's the CPU usage that uses more battery.

If an app runs fine with 500 MHz, it won't need more battery if you run it with 600 MHz.

However, an app that uses 80% CPU at 500MHz will use more power than an app that uses 30% CPU at 500MHz.

Have you compared running the same app under the same circumstances with 500MHz and 600MHz?

One thing to check if pnd_run actually downclocks your Pandora (which it shouldn't) is to use an OVR to set the cpu speed for a windowed app (like Midori, e.g.) to 300 MHz, run it and start the CPU Clock setter afterwards.

The CPU Clock setter ALWAYS starts with showing the current CPU speed, so if it doesn't show 300 in this case, your unit hasn't been downclocked,

Well, nobody will work immediately on the OS bugs once someone reports them in some thread anywhere on the boards. With replies they get buried.

New devs might never even have read about these bugs here.

What I and the devs do is check the bugtracker for any reported bugs or even patches supplied there and include them.

They do this when they got time.

It's up to you whether you want to report the bugs there or not, but if you only report them somewhere at the boards, they will only be fixed if some devs remember the bug... so it's unlikely it will be fixed

I still cant charge with my charger since upgrading to this hotfix. Usb charging works though.Might have to go back to hotfix 5 if it cant be fixed.

I still cant charge with my charger since upgrading to this hotfix. Usb charging works though.Might have to go back to hotfix 5 if it cant be fixed.

What happens when the unit is switched off and you connect the charger?
Nothing happens.No lights or anything. It did occur after upgrading to hotfix 6 unless it was a coincidence.I could reflash to hotfix 5 tomorrow and see if charging function returns.

Flashing back to HF5 won't do anything. When the unit is off, not even the Bootloader is loaded at that time.

If it doesn't switch on when you connect the AC, it has NOTHING to do with any OS on the Pandora.

It might be a broken AC adaptor.

Ah, right, if you're using unprotected WiFi-passwords it works, true.

Yeah he meant properly. You still can't get internet from cold boot to minimenu. Wifi enables but no internet until you at least switch to XFCE and back again. Once this is done yes as long as you don't power off or reboot (just use low power mode), then yes wifi from minimenu is fine. Yes I'm referring to having unprotected wifi as well.

"unprotected wifi" just sounds dirty ;)

I will eventually get to having some basic networking support in minimenu; we've got the plumbing in the system now, just need to get some time to work on it.

(Latest work is system performance updates and making startup of minimenu much faster :)

jeff

Flashing back to HF5 won't do anything. When the unit is off, not even the Bootloader is loaded at that time.

If it doesn't switch on when you connect the AC, it has NOTHING to do with any OS on the Pandora.

It might be a broken AC adaptor.
Maybe the ac adapter broke just after i upgraded the hotfix.Just a coincidence maybe. Ill order a new ac adapter eventually. Thanks anyways.

Firmware request for next HF !

Have succeeded to make ASUS WL-167G v2 Wi-Fi dongle working.

I just had to copy the /lib/firmware/rt73.bin to the same directory of my OP rootfs. Then have plug it into a non-powered (or powered) USB hub, power on the OP, and voilà !

Back