How Do You Pronounce .pnd?

Whenever someone uses literally in place of figuratively I mentally treat it as an exaggeration. It seems, most of the time, they are using it in a way that would indicate inflating the truth. I don't put much stock in people's abuse of literally since it's almost become a figure of speech in and of itself, and can probably join the ranks of irregardless. Thank the heavens that the abuse of the word like didn't stay in the collective consciousness for more than a decade.

People will abuse words, no sense in trying to correct them either. Grandmas and Grandpas have abused language long before we come along, and our grandchildren will abuse it long after we're dead.

That's literally all I have to say on the subject. ;)

Dunny said:
Some nicks are really fun to pronounce. Aninhumer, for example "Anne in Hummer". Take that as you will, as it were.
It's pronounced An in hyu mer, but from the various times I've seen people misspelling it, I get the impression most people mentally pronounce it "hummer".

*shrug*

Last edited by a moderator:
My big pet peeve right now is when people on TV confuse "I" and "me". It isn't that hard to figure out.

Aethix said:
My big pet peeve right now is when people on TV confuse "I" and "me". It isn't that hard to figure out.
I especially dislike when people use "I" instead of "me" because they think it sounds posh, when it's often actually wrong.

Aninhumer said:
Aethix said:
I especially dislike when people use "I" instead of "me" because they think it sounds posh, when it's often actually wrong.

How on earth would that work?

"Would you pass I the salt?"
"You're only doing that because of I"

Nope, can't see that one at all! This really happens?

D.

Hah. Am I the only one that sees "dot Pandora" when I see .PND? I know it makes no sense from the lack of vowels, but I think of PND as an abbreviation of "pandora"... it's like when people pronounce "asap" ay sap and I'm like... no. No, no, no. Asap = as soon as possible, .PND = dot Pandora.

Dunny said:
Aninhumer said:
Aethix said:

D.
Consider the following sentence:

"Fatih went with ED and I to Korea."

This is generally considered incorrect, because "I" is used to refer to yourself as the subject of the sentence, but here the subject of the sentence is Fatih.
Rather, you should use:

"Fatih went with ED and me to Korea."

edit: it's the same error as in your sentences, just used in a sentence that's more structurally ambiguous :p

(Isn't prescriptivism fun?)

Tom` said:
(Isn't prescriptivism fun?)
Heh.
After learning some Japanese, most western languages seem massively overcomplicated.
It was bad enough going from a language which essentially has no gender (English), to learning Spanish and German. :p

Tell me about it! In Thai they have no tenses or plurals. Its fantastic!

It's a vastly complicated language with many words originating from several different languages, which is why we are able to describe something in many different ways. Sadly that's pretty much gone out of the window in favour of 'dat shit is all kinds of crazy sick, dog!' and 'shit got reeeeal, homes!'. I think ghetto speak is going to become the officially accepted version of English taught to foreign students.

If you want to engage your students in lessons, teaching them a bit of street language does the world of good. I often teach my students a bit of street slang.

Can't
resist,
must

I'll go with either of the following:
pwned as a single word (no vocals, please)
pnd as in pinned without i
pant as in pants or gasp

all in- or excluding the leading dot.

:unsure:
Gotta leave

I was working on a script yesterday which was manipulating checkpoint (.ckp) and journal (.jnl) files.
I think of these files as checkpoint and journal files despite of the extension.
These are both .pnd style abbreviations so using this logic then a .pnd file should be spoken of as a Pandora file.

".pandora-application-archive" would clearly have made much more sense...

On a more serious note. Who chose .pnd anyways? What kinda extension is that? ".pa", ".box", ".par" or ".panark" would all have more sense, but none of them are ideal of course.

Tom` said:
Dunny said:
Aninhumer said:
Aethix said:

D.
Consider the following sentence:

"Fatih went with ED and I to Korea."

This is generally considered incorrect, because "I" is used to refer to yourself as the subject of the sentence, but here the subject of the sentence is Fatih.
Rather, you should use:

"Fatih went with ED and me to Korea."

Wait, my entire life, elementary school through high school, I was ALWAYS taught that when listing others in a sentence including yourself, you should use "I" at the end of said list. And you're saying that's incorrect? Every English teacher I've ever had would say using "me" like that is incorrect. And I am with them on that. I always use "I."

I mean, lets say I went to the park with my friend, I would write/say this as:

"My friend and I went to the park."

NOT

"My friend and me went to the park."

Adding "me" where "I" is sounds absolutely horrible! And you're saying that's the correct way to write it? There's no way. I cannot believe that. Not only was I taught this is wrong my whole life, but it even SOUNDS wrong to me! :huh:

EDIT: Oh, and to stay on topic, I pronounce .pnd files as "pand" files, and .gif files as "jif" files. But that's just me. :)

Back