How Do You Pronounce .pnd?

The letter Y is NOT considered a vowel in Britain by 99% of native English speakers, although it is used to replace vowels in many words. It certainly can and does sound like a vowel - eg TRYST the Y could just as easily be a soft "I" for "TRIST" or a hard "I" in "MY" (as in "AI"). etc.

But generally Y IS NOT a vowel.

That's just being picky about definitions. We're referring more about the role in the word, and whether Y is or isn't a vowel, it plays the role of a vowel.

Gif or Jif? Doesn't matter to me. Sounds pretty much the same. I don't even know how I pronounce it.

I've been using Pand internally; however, I think if I were to mention it to someone who didn't know anything about it, then I would say PND. And if the format becomes popular, I imagine it would commonly be pronounced as it is seen, so PND.

@Skeezix: I recommend the following acronym: Program Network Distribution format. It's a reasonable description and doesn't indicate that it is only for the Pandora. At the same time, it's still an abbreviation for Pandora. So, win! :D

And Y is both a vowel and a consonant. If there's one thing OOP has taught me... If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck.

Mr.Confuzed said:
@skeezix: I recommend the following acronym: Program Network Distribution format. It's a reasonable description and doesn't indicate that it is only for the Pandora. At the same time, it's still an abbreviation for Pandora. So, win! :D
This.

Now it's in competition with PokeParadox's "PND Needs Definition", you know. :p

And Y is both a vowel and a consonant. If there's one thing OOP has taught me... If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck.
Except when it's Bugs Bunny wearing a beak.

Last edited by a moderator:
paulguy said:
That's just being picky about definitions. We're referring more about the role in the word, and whether Y is or isn't a vowel, it plays the role of a vowel.
Actually I was referring to the definition.. Thats why I linked to the Oxford dictionary :)

crade said:
paulguy said:
Actually I was referring to the definition.. Thats why I linked to the Oxford dictionary :)

Yeah I was referring to iprice. I just wanted to remain neutral in that post because I didn't want to leave it open to argument, and honestly, I have absolutely no knowledge as to this kind of thing.

iprice said:
You tell that to Carol Vorderman and/or the "new" girl that does Countdown. Y is most definitely a consonant ;)
That's what I said. And I will if you'd care to provide contact information.

In previous telephone conversation between Mr Doovde and Skeezix...

*Brring brring. Brring Brrring*

Skeezix: Hello?

Mr Doovde: Hello yes, I would like to ask question about the poond file.

Skeezix: What?

Mr Doovde: You know, poond file.

Skeezix: You mean .pnd file?

Mr Doovde: Yes, poonde file.

Skeezix: No, .pnd file

Mr Doovde: Poondee file.

Skeezix: I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.

Mr Doovde: But moofke told me you are maker of the poond.

Skeezix: Who?

Mr Doovde: Moofke. You know, moofke. The turkish one.

*Boop... boop... boop...*

gp2.eXe said:
Edit: That makes me think... what do people think when they think about my username? Hmmm...

Gee Pee Two dot Eee Ecks Eee.

Some nicks are really fun to pronounce. Aninhumer, for example "Anne in Hummer". Take that as you will, as it were.

D.

iprice said:
The letter Y is NOT considered a vowel in Britain by 99% of native English speakers, although it is used to replace vowels in many words. It certainly can and does sound like a vowel - eg TRYST the Y could just as easily be a soft "I" for "TRIST" or a hard "I" in "MY" (as in "AI"). etc.

But generally Y IS NOT a vowel.

Umm. Living as I do with an English Language teacher - who teaches from primary school through to degree-level - I can assure you that Y is considered as both a vowel and a consonant. It would appear that your "99% of native English speakers" does not include many native English speakers :p

D.

Y is not considered as an ORTHODOX vowel, but is used ONLY as a vowel if not preceded or followed by a vowel. It is unique in this sense in the English language and considered by the majority as a consonant. It's position is CONDITIONAL in it's acceptance. No other vowels are conditional.

The English language is a strange beast. :p

Dunny said:
It would appear that your "99% of native English speakers" does not include many native English speakers :p

D.
actually 99% of english speakers don't think about these things at all. :p

After some quick goooooogling and using my own noggin I've come up with this:
The Y symbol is used to represent two different letters from Old English: one a vowel and the other a consonant. Somebody just screwed up when updating English :p

Oh, and it's pee en dee!
and eee ex eee
and g if

Then again, I may be a native English speaker, but I struggle to write/speak/spell it so my opinions shouldn't really count :p

I pronounce it 'neep neep neep NEEP NEEP NEEP NEEP' getting gradually louder and louder until I'm screaming

Dunny said:
Umm. Living as I do with an English Language teacher - who teaches from primary school through to degree-level - I can assure you that Y is considered as both a vowel and a consonant. It would appear that your "99% of native English speakers" does not include many native English speakers
I'd also point out that 99%* of native English speakers also think that "literally" means "figuratively", but that doesn't make them right. The fact that that is how it is now defined in the dictionary makes them right.

*perhaps a slight exaggeration

Back