How Do You Pronounce .pnd?

may88 said:
Kramy said:
Now for a question - how do you pronounce Linux?

I now say "li-nux", though the first time I saw it written (not said), I thought it was "Lie-nux"

I say l-eye-nux (Southern England, posh (itself an acronym of Port Out, Starboard Home - I can explain further on request.), others in the office from up-north say l-in-ux. Truth is. BOTH are wrong. The name of the OS is base on Linus and Unix, and Linus is pronounced L-ee-nus, so it's l-ee-nux.
Linus Torvalds disagrees, "Linux is always lih-nux". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
B-ZaR said:
P.N.D.

like T.N.T.
'Cause it's
P.N.D.
It's packed up tight
P.N.D.
Gotta say it right
P.N.D.
Insert and load
P.N.D.
And run that code

Just BTW, here's maybe a clearer version of "Linux" by Linus Torvalds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Linus_pronounces_linux_%28english%29.oga

Pronouncing PND as a word would only work if you had a vowel in there imo. I say Pee eN Dee is correct so... Suck it :p

Wow this is a long thread. I'm actually kind of amazed how vehement people are about not just PND, but any number of other extensions. My view is that the 'correct' usage is whatever will get you understood in the fewest syllables. If I'm talking to my Grandma, I'll say 'Dot EE EX EE file' because I need to. Anyone who knows what they are doing should hear and understand 'EKSY' with no problem.

And PND - to say PEE EN DEE is robotic IMO. That is what a TTS engine would do, we are humans, and we should be able to cope with vocalizing it. To me it reads 'PAND' and while I automatically reserve the right to say that is as valid as any other, 'PAND' actually makes good, justifiable sense based on how the extension is derived (from PaNDora, in case you didn't spot that)

Bottom line; I don't know, or foresee knowing, anyone that I would actually SPEAK to about PNDs. So this is sort of moot.

may88 said:
Linus is pronounced L-ee-nus, so it's l-ee-nux.

No, it certainly is not, I have prior work 30 years previously declaring it pronounced lie-nuss. Johnny come lately's like Torvalds didn't invent it and can kiss my ass. Reference the academy award winning movie, "How The West Was Won", the lead role played by Jimmy Stewart was Linus Rawlings, pronounced Lie-nuss all the way through, Charles Shultz comic strip character biggest ever in syndication and numerous holiday special TV shows all pronounce it Lie-nuss long before Torvalds was ever born for just two examples.

PhillipJ said:
and you will shoot them with your L.A.S.E.R?

Right after I finish plugging my tv into the hdmi port on my pc while I listen to this cd.

If you said 'pnd' as a word, you'd sound like you were trying to clear your sinuses.

Multiplex said:
B-ZaR said:
P.N.D.

like T.N.T.
'Cause it's
P.N.D.
It's packed up tight
P.N.D.
Gotta say it right
P.N.D.
Insert and load
P.N.D.
And run that code

YEAH! *guitar solo*
th_Guitar-emoticon.gif

Perhaps we should forward a link to this thread to some eminent scholar of linguistics. The pronunciation of PND is of course trivial and down to the individual but the responses are very interesting to someone like me with a very amateur interest in the evolution of language.

The gif vs jif debate really surprised me, used to laugh when my dad pronounced it jif back in the early days of the web.

For what its worth, I pronounce PND PuND, and exe eksy.

There are no right answers for pronunciation, it's all about accepted norms, which are subject to sometimes rapid evolution.

Phawx said:
Just wondering when you guys read .pnd, do you read it like "pinned" or something else? Like "pond" or "panda"?

Obviously, panda is far away from .pnd but pond is pretty close. Only reason I bring this up is the whole .gif thing. People like to pronounce .gif like "gift", but it's actually pronounced like jif.

I don't know if a proper pronunciation has been clarified or not, so if anyone can fill me in, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I've been thinking "Pee En Dee"

Aninhumer said:
Kramy said:
E X E - saying each letter as you would alone - is pretty universal. I've never heard anyone say it differently, and I've met hundreds of computer users over the years that have used the term. On the other hand, we're all native English speakers.
Not sure if you're American or not but I'm possibly a more "native" English speaker than you, living in the UK. :p
Everyone I've had discussions about .exe files with has pronounced it "Eksy", but then that consists of at most half a dozen people, and they're possibly just copying me.

I'm in the UK too, have been working with computers since the early 1980's, and don't recall ever hearing this "eksy" thing - everyone I've ehard pronounce it has pronounced seperate letters.

I never really nailed it down; I never really had to pronounce it until I was showing my prototype to WizardStan a couple months back, and it popped out of my mouth as ... how to say: "p nnnd".. where 'p' sounds like the p at the end of 'up' and "nnnd" sounds like the end of 'pond'. Like when something has been thrown in the bin and it has been 'binned', this has been 'p'-'inned', yeah, thats not a half bad way of trying to get over what I'm saying and thinking.

folks I know have been using 'pound'; however I often shorten Pandora to Panda and thus to pnd when de-voweled; and I do use the phrase 'pound of flesh' in reference to it when debugging something strange :)

I'm normally pretty consistent, but its vi as "v eye" and emacs as "eeee-max", but SQL is "S" "Q" "L" and very certainly not "sequal".

So I think it depends on the case ;) PND is pee en dee, but .pnd is the sound described above.

You'd think it woud just be a 'pand' file (like 'panned'?), but thats too easy.

So what say .. do we go with an easy to say thing (panned, pound), or with how I've been internalizing it for a couple years ("pooned") :)

jeff

Back