How Do You Pronounce .pnd?

HealyHQ said:
Wait, my entire life, elementary school through high school, I was ALWAYS taught that when listing others in a sentence including yourself, you should use "I" at the end of said list. And you're saying that's incorrect? Every English teacher I've ever had would say using "me" like that is incorrect. And I am with them on that. I always use "I."
I was going to say the same thing, that using "I" has been drilled into my head over the years as well, except I remembered one rule: if you can replace the whole thing with "me", use me, or replace with "I" use "I".
For example, in the statement "Jimmy and ____ went to the park", do you say "Me went to the park" or "I went to the park"? Since you say "I went to the park" you say "Jimmy and I went to the park."
In the statement "Fatih went with ED and ____ to Korea" do you say "Fatih went with me to Korea" or "Fatih went with I to Korea"? The correct way is "Fatih whent with ED and me to Korea" in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
HealyHQ said:
I mean, lets say I went to the park with my friend, I would write/say this as:

"My friend and I went to the park."

NOT

"My friend and me went to the park."

Adding "me" where "I" is, sounds absolutely horrible! And you're saying that's the correct way to write it? There's no way. I cannot believe that. Not only was I taught this is wrong my whole life, but it even SOUNDS wrong to me! :huh:
No, that's not it. Using "me" there would indeed be wrong.
But you would also say "My friend drove me to the park.", right? And that holds even if there were more people, like "My friend drove Jane and me to the park."
People do mistakes both ways here. If I understand correctly, first "me" started spreading to sentences like your example in colloquial English, and then the posh people started crying about the degradation of the English language and counter-reacted by using "I" everywhere.

WizardStan said:
HealyHQ said:
Wait, my entire life, elementary school through high school, I was ALWAYS taught that when listing others in a sentence including yourself, you should use "I" at the end of said list. And you're saying that's incorrect? Every English teacher I've ever had would say using "me" like that is incorrect. And I am with them on that. I always use "I."
I was going to say the same thing, that using "I" has been drilled into my head over the years as well, except I remembered one rule: if you can replace the whole thing with "me", use me, or replace with "I" use "I".
For example, in the statement "Jimmy and ____ went to the park", do you say "Me went to the park" or "I went to the park"? Since you say "I went to the park" you say "Jimmy and I went to the park."
In the statement "Fatih went with ED and ____ to Korea" do you say "Fatih went with me to Korea" or "Fatih went with I to Korea"? The correct way is "Fatih went with ED and me to Korea" in this case.

Oh, wow. I never thought about it like that. So using "me" or "I" is entirely dependent on the sentence itself, as it can change in different situations. Man, English is too damn confusing for its own good. :lol:

Multiplex said:
HealyHQ said:

NOT

Adding "me" where "I" is, sounds absolutely horrible! And you're saying that's the correct way to write it? There's no way. I cannot believe that. Not only was I taught this is wrong my whole life, but it even SOUNDS wrong to me! :huh:
No, that's not it. Using "me" there would indeed be wrong.
But you would also say "My friend drove me to the park.", right? And that holds even if there were more people, like "My friend drove Jane and me to the park."
People do mistakes both ways here. If I understand correctly, first "me" started spreading to sentences like your example in colloquial English, and then the posh people started crying about the degradation of the English language and counter-reacted by using "I" everywhere.

I'm fairly certain that the word "myself" would be correct in sentences of that particular style, rather than "me".

D.

Dunny said:
I'm fairly certain that the word "myself" would be correct in sentences of that particular style, rather than "me".

D.
Well, I'm no native speaker, but I think that's another example of a common "error" that arises from trying too hard to avoid the "me" word, as described in
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/myself.html

HealyHQ said:
To always use it is wrong, yes. However in your example:
NOT
You're perfectly correct, because you are the (joint) subject of the sentence.

However if the sentence was "My friend came to see Jimmy and me" it would be totally incorrect to use "I", because in that sentence you are the object.

EDIT: Of course, these are just the rules, and the fact we can all tell what someone means when they break them just goes to show how arbitrary they are. :p

Back