How do you use your Pandora?

Does anyone take their OpenPandora on flights? If so, do you purge any emulators and roms from your SD card(s) prior to departure? It's pretty clear that the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution no longer applies at airline security checkpoints, and airports in U.K. and western Europe have similar security.
I hope you're aware that due to the way modern flash cards work, deleted data is recoverable even after

things like overwriting the file contents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_levelling

Buy a new card and only write things you are OK with having read by border agents.

The Pandora is very nice for this if you only boot/run off the SD card.

Personally, I mostly count on sshfs and leave the data behind entirely.  I know, movies

are mostly too big for this technique.

Yeah I meant X-Ray scan... iPad/Tablets and notebooks have to go in a separate tray and be put through separately. It's not so much a privacy violation as they can just the circuits... it's just a pain in the arse but at least the Pandora is given a free pass.

What are they hoping to find this way? Covert spy tech hidden in the tablets by terrorists? If they are targeting these devices because supposedly tech is easier to hide within a tech device, then why aren't all electronic devices being scanned?

They have these weird rules like if you're a little kid, you're OK to have your shoes on.  But if you're an adult, you have to take those shoes off.  A terrorist can put stuff in his kids' shoes?

What are they hoping to find this way? Covert spy tech hidden in the tablets by terrorists? If they are targeting these devices because supposedly tech is easier to hide within a tech device, then why aren't all electronic devices being scanned?
I think that laptop, tablet or something like that (or it's battery) could block something in bag from view (because as far as I know battery blocks rays).

I think that laptop, tablet or something like that (or it's battery) could block something in bag from view (because as far as I know battery blocks rays).
Ah. Now that makes sense.

- Games (no clear favourites, jumping between 8 and 16 bit and DosBox and Doom fan-made worlds, recently Lynx homebrews and the VB emulator with cardboard red/green spectacles - funny!)

- music, now mostly audio books and BBC World Service with automatic shutdown

- editing photos (thanks to PIV)

- reading (works very well, mostly using CoolReader, I don´t think I need a "real" ebook-reader...).

- I used to chat on yahoo by Pidgin but no more...

- recordings with Mwaveedit

Last edited by a moderator:
My Pandoras and me ;)

Trying Emulators is what i want...

..trying new Thing who never tried anyone yet....

...sometimes compiling Software....

...fast Email reading without put PC on...

..sort my Pictures with PIV...

..play Musicvideos in the Kitchen with a big Speaker on the Audio Jack...

..using MediaThekView on the Pandora...

..playing Games like NotTetris...

..Videorecording Pandora Things for Youtube...

..experimenting with Qemu Windows,Wine and and and.

;)

PSX, Microbes, NotTetris, NES, GB, GBA, browsing, etc... most of it while using the web radio tray with Radio Aena in the background.

Quick data access (wlan keys, metro routes, etc..) when the desktop pc is turned off.

Yesterday I switched it on for retrieving some data for my gf and when seeing this tiny desktop, she said "oh, how cute!", lol.

I guess you can use it for showing off too, Pyra will be very good at that. ^^

• Reading my e-mails with sylpheed. In fact I planned to make some crazy rsync installation to sync my sylpheed settings and mails between my PC and my pandora. Instead I now use my pandora for handling all my mails :)
  • Listening to audio books at night. The hardware volume wheel is awesome if you don't have light, but the sound is too loud/quiet.
  • Playing emulators of course. At the moment I use Drastic most (Pokémon! :D ), but my favourite emulator changes from week to week.
  • Browsing the internet, e.g. in bus via tethering with my mobil phone or at home, if no big machine is running
  • Playing Homebrew games. Atm I play Boson-X a lot
  • Using Pidgin from time to time, when I want to chat and run around in my apartment a lot. The pandora wifi is quite stabil.
  • At work I listen to music with my pandora. Especially if I change my system from time to time or need to restart my pandora still runs and plays music. Furthermore are the pandora speaker better than my built in speakers at work.
  • Sometimes I need to edit some OpenOffice or Latex files lying on my NAS. So I connect via Samba and do it. :D
  • And of course I watch videos from time to time. ;)

• At work it's basically a laptop. I listen to music on it at my desk, use it for Pidgin, encrypted emails (can't get claws to work currently but hopefully I can soon) and also web browsing
  • When at home or travelling I'll fire up Audacious (with global plug ins enabled so I can skip, previous and pause/resume using shift + q or w or e) then I'll fire up Pandafe and select whatever rom I feel like playing. This is especially nice to have a frontend for all the emulators and pandora games in a nice interface.
In the future I hope to replace laptop useage completely via a nice bluetooth keyboard to enable coding and writing a novel I've been working on for some time. I also hope to get my 3g dongle working so I can use it almost as a complete versatile tool.

At work it's my music player - I use RockBox on shuffle play and skip with the shoulder buttons. I plug into my work laptop if for whatever reason I'm low on power.

At home I play games - currently StarCraft... Sometimes using TV out and wireless keyboard and mouse.

Back