How hard to port android 4.0?

LTStone

How hard would it be to run a newer version of android or cyanogen mod on the Pandy?

Just so we're clear, 4.0 is not the latest version. 4.2.2 is and it's soon to be followed by 5.0. As for difficulty? It's just as difficult and making th current PND. I just don't think anyone is interested in doing so.

I tried many with the Beagleboard Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in the near Past.

Beagleboard have the Omap 3530 Too as the Rebirth Pandora.

I modified Boot Files,changed the Kernel,tried other Partition Types,with and without swap.

Unfortunaly i dont get it run.

Here the Site who you can Download and maybe Modify the Beagleboard Ice Cream Sandwich ^_^

http://code.google.com/p/rowboat/wiki/ICSonBeagleboard

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/TI-AM37x-Android-4.0-Guide#Out_of_the_Box_Demo

I think Hdonk was working on it a while back. The problem is that Android is very demanding and later versions won't run well on Pandora anyway.
The problem I have is I can't release the Android SGX driver binary. So it would be a proof-of-concept test version.

I think Hdonk was working on it a while back. The problem is that Android is very demanding and later versions won't run well on Pandora anyway.
The problem I have is I can't release the Android SGX driver binary. So it would be a proof-of-concept test version.
could you not release it but ask users to integrate it by themselves in some way? Can this binary be licensed?

You can push the proprietary drivers in yourself. Replicant is working on a 4.* build for GTA04, which is very similar. If we buy them a pandora maybe they will speed things up, im in for funding some of it.

There is a free powervr driver initiative, but i dont think they have anything working yet. You could provide build instructions though.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the things below are either speculation by me or personal opinions:

- Android 4/JB is probably not the best for Pandora, as the system requirements are too high. The rumour mill indicates that K will be optimised for 512Mb of memory though:

http://www.talkandroid.com/165221-rumor-android-5-0-to-arrive-by-october-optimized-for-devices-with-at-least-512mbs-of-ram/

- Another rumour: TI are pushing OMAP3/SGX530 based devices quite hard. This means that they *may* release an updated Android SGX driver.

- I have started trying to get JB working on the Pandora, but it's a slow journey.

- The graphics driver for Android is different to the one for GNU/Linux.

- I won't be able to release a driver.

- It may be possible to get JB/K working with an older driver which TI have released. But it would mean reversing any interface changes within Android to support it. Lodsawork.

- I'm doing my port as a bootable SD card image, with an Android-ified kernel.

Would it be possible to run Android and Linux both off of the same Kernal at the same time? Kinda like what Conical did with "Ubuntu for Android"

^That's how our current Gingerbread PND works.
No its not. Angstrom shuts down when Android launches. Id like to be able to use both Simultaniously (side note if this could be ported to normal abnroid phones that would be amazing)
Well it IS the same kernel and as far as I know the Angstrom processes are shut down so that Android can run at a decent speed other wise you're wasting resources and slowing down the system.

^That'sbread PND works.
No its not. Angstrom shuts down when Android launches. Id like to be able to use both Simultaniously (sideif this werenote if this could be ported to normal abnroid phones that would be amazing)
Well it IS the same kernel and as far as I know the Angstrom processes are shut down so that Android can run at a decent speed other wise you're wasting resources and slowing down the system.
haha yes, I agree. I got a bit carried away there with my own non-pandora wishes. I really wish I could have Ubuntu (or any Debian-based OS) running on my phone with the same Kernal as Android so I can run Android and Debian applications side by side in a Unity interface (yes, im a sucker for Unity and Mac OS UI). But if this were ever doable I would be happy to donate $100 to any developer that can make this Open source and available on the US version of the Galaxy S4.

I made a basic JellyBean PND a while back that boots fine (logcat gets to the same point as our GingerBread PND), but I'm left with a black screen at the end instead of a launcher.

I made a basic JellyBean PND a while back that boots fine (logcat gets to the same point as our GingerBread PND), but I'm left with a black screen at the end instead of a launcher.
Oooh, maybe someone can pick up where you left off?

Why not look at grabbing NITdroid 4.x?

N900 has a SIMILAR core.

Might fail, but worth a shot.

Back