How long will it take before the Pandora is

Status
Not open for further replies.
javaJake said:
BaDToaD said:
OMG NO! We will need a Noob User forum for them or they will destroy the place :)
Oh, come on, they can't be that bad. :)

Birdeater said:
im a psp homebrew person but id like to see a handheld do more complext things. thats what im hoping for this =D
On the other hand...

You joke, but a lot of PSP owners are disturbingly loyal. There was a link to a PSP forum where the Pandora was mentioned, and the responses were just unbelievable to say the least.
If even one tech review suggests that the Pandora is superior to the PSP, be prepared for an influx of users desperate to "defend" their precious PSP. And that's just from the ones that have hacked their firmware and can actually appreciate homebrew. When the regular PSP users, all heck will break loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
javaJake said:
BaDToaD said:
OMG NO! We will need a Noob User forum for them or they will destroy the place :)
Oh, come on, they can't be that bad. :)
Birdeater said:
im a psp homebrew person but id like to see a handheld do more complext things. thats what im hoping for this =D
On the other hand...You joke, but a lot of PSP owners are disturbingly loyal. There was a link to a PSP forum where the Pandora was mentioned, and the responses were just unbelievable to say the least.
If even one tech review suggests that the Pandora is superior to the PSP, be prepared for an influx of users desperate to "defend" their precious PSP. And that's just from the ones that have hacked their firmware and can actually appreciate homebrew. When the regular PSP users, all heck will break loose.
Can we get the forum sign-up page changed so that people have to select which other forums they are active on and PSP fans can get diverted to their own version of the forum? (j-k) ;)

Is there anyway way the emails for the pre-orders can go a couple of days before the pre-order, as in... preorder in 4 days! As I will be away without internet (or only sporadic every few days for 5 minutes to check my email internet) and would really love to still preorder the device.

PSyMastR said:
Is there anyway way the emails for the pre-orders can go a couple of days before the pre-order, as in... preorder in 4 days! As I will be away without internet (or only sporadic every few days for 5 minutes to check my email internet) and would really love to still preorder the device.
It's already been commented that that would be a really bad idea. Word tends to spread on the internet, and if you release pre-preorder emails, it'll get out there, hit digg or something, and just confuse way too many people.
It's also already been commented that if you're going to be away and want to preorder one, just ask a friend to sign up and buy one for you. Give him the money in advance if you have to and are that worried about it.

The preorder emails exist for a reason. People that actually follow the scene and are likely to slap down a good chunk of money for it (it is a cheap device for what you get, however : ) get word first and order their units. Everyone else is second in line. I think it is perfectly fair.

WizardStan said:
PSyMastR said:
It's already been commented that that would be a really bad idea. Word tends to spread on the internet, and if you release pre-preorder emails, it'll get out there, hit digg or something, and just confuse way too many people.
It's also already been commented that if you're going to be away and want to preorder one, just ask a friend to sign up and buy one for you. Give him the money in advance if you have to and are that worried about it.

Hehe yeah that seems like a good idea, but none of my friend's are on the pre-order email list. I was actually buying the Pandora for my friend and I, so now I guess I have to tell him to be the one to buy two.

AireTamStorm said:
The preorder emails exist for a reason. People that actually follow the scene and are likely to slap down a good chunk of money for it (it is a cheap device for what you get, however : ) get word first and order their units. Everyone else is second in line. I think it is perfectly fair.
What is? Pre-preorder emails?
So what happens if even one person blabs (either accidentally or on purpose) and news that pre-orders are starting in 4 days? I'll tell you what. 3 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds later, someone will hit refresh on the home page.
And then another.
And another.
Because word has spread and it's no longer just the few following that have signed up for the emails, but everyone who watches tech blogs that never bothered to sign up. Suddenly those that signed up for the email are in no better position than anyone else. Worse still, hype has built for 4 days. If the first 3000 would have sold out in a week, they are now 4 days behind and will sell out in 3 days.
These are the things that keep me up at night worrying. Don't contribute to my inevitable heart failure. That's bacon and egg's job.

I think this is the most relevant answer from the man himself.

craigix said:
Hirolaser said:
craigix said:
We will send out a newsletter to the people on the mailing list on the openpandora homepage saying 'you can now order' and then they can. The emails will go out in the order people signed up to the mailing list.

First come first served.
seriously? So you won't be able to preorder straight from the website then?
Yes it will be on the website but people on the mailing list will have that slight head start.

Note the word slight.

WizardStan said:
What is? Pre-preorder emails?
So what happens if even one person blabs (either accidentally or on purpose) and news that pre-orders are starting in 4 days?

Thats why they send out the emails the day the preorders happen, and don't post the link to buy the unit on the main page right away. Don't worry, bacon and eggs still has a role in your life-eh, something...

i have an idea.
why not make it so that anyone who is on the mailing list say...now- has first dibs on the second batch, if they dont buy one of the first?

waffles said:
i have an idea.
why not make it so that anyone who is on the mailing list say...now- has first dibs on the second batch, if they dont buy one of the first?
Sir, you are advocating double-dibbing? You're getting first dibs on the first batch. You cannot then ask for first dibs on the second batch.

Why is this topic continuing when nobody even has a decent way of finding out the answer to the original question?

coevin said:
Really the only psp owners who would be interested in this machine would be the ones who have gone through the complex precedure of using custom firmware on their psp, so they would have a good idea what to expect. Heres hoping anyway.
That has got to be at least a million people, probably a few million.

AireTamStorm said:
Why is this topic continuing when nobody even has a decent way of finding out the answer to the original question?

Isn't that par for the course round here? Then you added to it; I am adding to it; tonight others will no doubt add to it. When tomorrow comes around we will be one day nearer Pandora and one day nearer having something really useful to talk about.

TaG said:
Isn't that par for the course round here? Then you added to it; I am adding to it; tonight others will no doubt add to it.
I guess that's where I come in then...

MilanC said:
PlopperZ said:
Megamixman said:
290 billion nanoseconds
So about 5 minutes then? :huh:
Nope. 290ms. Probably 'ping' time to preorder web site :p

Okay it's review time...

10^-9 nano
10^-6 micro
10^-3 milli

10^3 thousand
10^6 million
10^9 billion

290 * 10^9 * 10^-9 = 290 seconds so PlopperZ was right.

Xmoon said:
I think in Europe billion is 10^12.
o_O

The "American" system is:
10^06 = million
10^09 = billion
10^12 = trillion

The "European" system
is:
10^06 = million
10^09 = thousand million
10^12 = billion
10^15 = thousand billion
10^18 = trillion
10^21 = thousand trillion

I didn't know this "European" system was still used today. I believe that england has switched over to the non-latin based system. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back