Production Of Pandora

Dasasman

Still Fresh
Hello, I'm new to these forums and the Pandora seems amazing.

Anyway, I don't expect to be one of the first 3000, so this brings me to where am now.

Does anyone know whether they will make it in batches of 3000 or more? Also, how long do you expect for this to sell. (I can't get one until december :( )

If you read the wiki, it says if there's more demand then yes. If everyone who wants one has one then no.

In the short term, I believe so. I recall a post from Craig referencing the second batch of 3000 (it may even be in the blog re: the USB problem), which implies they're expecting that the first two batches at least will be 3000 units. Beyond that, of course, it will, I imagine, depend on the quantities they can source components in and the rate at which whatever factory they're using can churn them out.

How long they'll sell for, I suspect, simply depends on market forces. If the demand is there, they'll keep selling (Craigix is a businessman afterall). If it isn't, then they'll stop. Given the level of interest both in and outside this community (inside is obvious, outside is pretty big, but usually of the form "yeah right - it'd be great if it happened but it isn't going to"), I'd guess the demand will last for a fair while :).

Phew. I was wondering because, I don't have an income :p, Alas im a child. So after Christmas in January I was hoping to order one!

Well thanks for the quick answers! I now feel confident that I have a chance of getting one!

magicman5421 said:
if it ever stops getting delayed...
which i'm sure it will.
eventually...
Lets look at the bright side-gp2xs will be cheaaap on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
magicman5421 said:
which i'm sure it will.
eventually...
looks like you have given up hope.

Which is interesting because it hasn't been delayed alot at all... from the beginning it was stated by craig and the other devs that the dev units would be out in the 2nd quarter of 2008. this has happened as was expected. Now that there is a little delay from a july release to possibly a month later, people start complaining. There really is no reason to panic like that.

xnopasaranx said:
Now that there is a little delay from a july release to possibly a month later, people start complaining.
i will be very, very surprised to see a release in august. itll be out in september or october, possibly even november. we've stumbled on 3 problems already (usb, wifi, nubs) - there'll be plenty more of that to come i would imagine.

im not moaning, if nothing else better has come out by the time pandora comes out ill buy one. there is no rush.

There's no reason to imagine delays. 2 of those problems got fixed faster than they could to damage and there already is a solution for the nubs, albeit with a small sacrifice (the clicks on the nubs). Unless you really want to be surprised, you can safely stay optimistic.

yeah never mind that. I just read a post by MWeston where he states that it will probably be released in October/September. Still that is not a huge delay.

I'll chime in that most people keep thinking in terms of the "big boys" on this. And that they don't have these sorts of delays. How do you KNOW they don't- they're not terribly transparent about their stuff until they're much closer to release. They have this crap happen all the time to them. :D

This thing isn't delayed by all that much and it's pretty much in line with the gotchas you can conceivably encounter with trying to get a small "start-up" like project like this off the ground and into production.

For those that're worried about the "competition", only the BeagleBoard is using an equally bleeding edge OMAP3 as we are (Not competition...), NVidia's using a slower CPU that's clocked only slightly faster than our own (which is, clock-for-clock, roughly twice as fast...), and the only real potential competitor coming from people using Qualcomm's SOC (Cortex variant @ 1GHz with an AMD Imageon 3D core...) didn't even have silicon from their vendor to show a couple of months ago...

Guys...it may come to surprise you but this is all normal and expected. Now, I'd be going "the sky's falling" if it were about another 4 or so months delayed because the window will have narrowed on us a bit- but there's nothing credible, unless they're totally operating in stealth mode, for at least 6 months into the future.

xnopasaranx said:
Kloplop321 said:
magicman5421 said:
which i'm sure it will.
eventually...
looks like you have given up hope.

from the beginning it was stated by craig and the other devs that the dev units would be out in the 2nd quarter of 2008.

Not from the beginning. A lot of people seem to have already forgotten, but the developers originally estimated a Spring release.

xnopasaranx said:
yeah never mind that. I just read a post by MWeston where he states that it will probably be released in October/September. Still that is not a huge delay.
He said if there's a delay. If there isn't one, the date is still August.

sindbad said:
There's no reason to imagine delays. 2 of those problems got fixed faster than they could to damage and there already is a solution for the nubs, albeit with a small sacrifice (the clicks on the nubs). Unless you really want to be surprised, you can safely stay optimistic.
If you don't mind, can you please point me to the post where devs have announced that the USB issue was resolved?

It's fixed in TI's boards, so I just assumed it would no longer be a problem.

Back