Production Of Pandora

The usb issue is (we think) solved.

What was the wifi issue which was mentiond? I don't seem to remember that one.

And this is all why we have not been posting previous issues on the blog - everything goes paranoid on the forums. We have worked though so many issues much worse in the last 9 months and you didn't feel a thing :)

As for another system to rival the Pandora, really it would be some kind of GP2X sequal I should suspect, but I doubt GPH would be as open or helpful as we have been, with it you would just 'get what you're given' (first edition bugs and all).

craigix said:

What was the wifi issue which was mentiond? I don't seem to remember that one.

And this is all why we have not been posting previous issues on the blog - everything goes paranoid on the forums. We have worked though so many issues much worse in the last 9 months and you didn't feel a thing :)

As for another system to rival the Pandora, really it would be some kind of GP2X sequal I should suspect, but I doubt GPH would be as open or helpful as we have been, with it you would just 'get what you're given' (first edition bugs and all).
I don't speak for everyone on this, but I think my main issue is not with the lack of blog updates, it's the lack of a solid timetable for the Pandora in general. You can't be revealing every production detail or else you get an 11-page thread of people bitching about a stupid analog nub, but you can't leave your consumers in the dark, either. There are people like myself who feel that, while the Pandora is not in danger of becoming vaporware or anything, does need at least some sort of more solidified timetable. "When it's done" was a perfectly good explanation when the unit was being developed and ideas still being played around with, but now that speculation over what the Pandora will actually be is pretty much done, things should become more procedural. Again, just my opinion. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I THINK the "wifi issue" is that people have yet to see a wifi module on ANY of the Pandora boards yet (I'm guessing people are thinking that a WiFi module has not been found or something). I don't think such an issue exists, though.

Yay craig, thats great news.
Also i never considered a sequel to the gp2x, that would be interesting.
the gp4z?

Kyosys said:
So, craig, no delay is expected then? That'd be awesome.
Nothing at all against you, Kyo, but I think that this is part of the problem. Without any strict timeline, every vague word the devs speak is taken and assumptions are made as to the release of the Pandora. We really do need to be given at least some kind of dates for stuff at this phase.

So is the main hold up the OMAP3530 chips? It looks like TI is shipping these but only in very small quantities. OMAP3530 Inventory

Looks like there are only 170 available. Probably engineering samples. I'm guessing we need to see "3000" before the first run of the pandora can be built.

MagicPants said:
So is the main hold up the OMAP3530 chips? It looks like TI is shipping these but only in very small quantities. OMAP3530 Inventory

Looks like there are only 170 available. Probably engineering samples. I'm guessing we need to see "3000" before the first run of the pandora can be built.

those are probably just the ones being sold seperately

What's this at the end of that list?

OMAP35xx Camera Interface Subsystem (ISP)

Seems to be a technical document depicting some information about a camera. Is this going to be in the Pandora? Technical Document

craigix said:
Sounds like a very interesting "Pandora - the whole Story" if you ever release it. ^_^

MagicPants said:
So is the main hold up the OMAP3530 chips?
No. The main hold up at the moment is the analog nubs and a few other bits and pieces (not necessarily hardware related).

Tripmonkey_uk said:
craigix said:
Was that due to lack of the correct drivers then, or were you trying to get decent open source drivers Craig?

No, MWeston has already explained the USB issue, which is now hopefully resolved.

NeX-Ferret said:
Seems to be a technical document depicting some information about a camera. Is this going to be in the Pandora?
The OMAP 3530 supports a CISP, but the Pandora will not have a camera.

Back