How Will You Customize Pandora's Os?

dflemstr said:
trooper said:
And only charge the battery when, And only when it really needs it.

I want my Pandora to last for ever. :D
You do know that by depleting a Li⁺ battery, you actually actively make it not last forever, right?

Yeah i know, I was just thinking of all the things i could do (short of keeping it in the original
unopened box), That would give the impression i would be treating it with kid gloves. Which was meant
to appear to be the complete opposite to your usage. This is all said in jest though. :)

EDIT: @skeezix, A bit of personalisation for MiniMenu a`la DaveC would be great, Oh, And the file browser mode sounds an excellent idea too, But hopefully without the bloat creep. :) .

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
WizardStan said:
skeezix said:
Pfft All you need is emacs withsawfiah ported to it. Emacs as a window manager, editor, calendar, email client and browser. At 5hz and only placing your pandora on a doily.
"Emacs is a great OS. If it had a text editor it'd be perfect"
-- paraphrased from something I heard a long, long time ago :D
somebody should port nano or Kate to emacs
Should be easy; I've heard that Qt runs in emacs already... Seems to work fine, but there have been a few complaints about how QGraphicsView introduces aliasing effects when it's being displayed as ASCII...

Myself, I swear by ViM... But most of the time, I do meta programming by firing up e.g. a python or scala interpreter, opening a file in that interpreter and starting to write stuff to the file by means of various commands.

So, ideal low-fi Pandora OS for me: kernel, udev, ttys, cron, bash, vim, curl, elinks, all of the unix text tools + riddiculous amounts of compilers (gcc, clang, llvm-c++, javac, scalac, ghc, ...) and interpreters (scala, python, ghci...). Should have my needs covered; at least for programming...

With that lower-case "s", I had a horrible feeling that this thread would be about some sort of terrible breakfast cereal!

dflemstr said:
lulzfish said:
WizardStan said:
skeezix said:
Pfft All you need is emacs withsawfiah ported to it. Emacs as a window manager, editor, calendar, email client and browser. At 5hz and only placing your pandora on a doily.
"Emacs is a great OS. If it had a text editor it'd be perfect"
-- paraphrased from something I heard a long, long time ago :D
somebody should port nano or Kate to emacs
Should be easy; I've heard that Qt runs in emacs already... Seems to work fine, but there have been a few complaints about how QGraphicsView introduces aliasing effects when it's being displayed as ASCII...

Myself, I swear by ViM... But most of the time, I do meta programming by firing up e.g. a python or scala interpreter, opening a file in that interpreter and starting to write stuff to the file by means of various commands.

So, ideal low-fi Pandora OS for me: kernel, udev, ttys, cron, bash, vim, curl, elinks, all of the unix text tools + riddiculous amounts of compilers (gcc, clang, llvm-c++, javac, scalac, ghc, ...) and interpreters (scala, python, ghci...). Should have my needs covered; at least for programming...

Followed the links in your sig. Scala seems pretty interesting. I'll have to add that to my list of stuff to learn when I find some free time.

Prmetheus .. Overriding pnd icons is as easy as dropping a .png file in the same place with the same base filename

can create a .Ovr file as well which overrides category and display name and adds notes and such too

and because davec is hardcore, you can override preview pic as well (in minimenu). Most of this is at pnd layer so works for all pnd launchers (and things using .desktops like xfce, e17 etc)

jeffPhone

@skeezix - Aha! So that feature was implemented, then? :D Wonderful - and thanks very much for the response.

Are there many touch enabled optimizations in the vanilla OS? I keep feeling like the whole stylus thing will be a huge PItA and would like to have huge icons with some nice drag scrolling, or combo key/screen commands.

I just want mine to look like a combination of this and this.
And I might want my OS to have Pandora fonts, might anyone know how to go about acquiring it? or what IT even is?

For everyday use I don't think I'll change much, but I'd like to have a car mode for when it's docked. All touchscreen control, nice big buttons to switch between satnav & media, that sort of thing. I have put absolutley no thought into how I'll achieve this.

Gruso said:
For everyday use I don't think I'll change much, but I'd like to have a car mode for when it's docked. All touchscreen control, nice big buttons to switch between satnav & media, that sort of thing. I have put absolutley no thought into how I'll achieve this.

Maybe you could just use Skeezix' Mini Menu and maybe add the satnav and such into PND applications (symbolic links/shortcuts) to make it easier? Similar to iPhone style. Click an icon - Away she goes?

Skeezix said his menu should be pretty open to modification....

I want to set it up so that I can use the dual nubs as mouse controls instead of the touch screen. Left nub for the actual directional movement, right nub for mouse wheel/scrolling, left and right shoulders for mouse buttons. That's probably number one on my priority list.

I'll be booting into a minimal application launcher most of the time, I imagine, although it will be really nice to have the option to boot into the full distro occasionally.

Back