Icontrolpad Updates!

craigix said:
You are pretty much correct. It took a long time to work out the best way to do it, and I think we are as close to perfect as it could be right now.

I think that's a pretty smart way to do things - the only advantage the "bone" style controller(s) have is they are theoretically still pocketable, though how pocketable is debatable.

Any word (even a guess) on pricing for these? I don't think I've found any anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to get this with clips for my Palm Pre but I'm having trouble imagining how they could work. Might not be a possibility at all, though, as the Pre doesn't have USB host AFAIK.

Might this be a danger to the iControlpad?

Apple-Gaming-Accessory-Patent.jpg

Apple Getting Serious About Gaming With New Gaming Accessory Patent

With all of the buzz around the iPad lately, it looks like another bit of Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) related news nearly flew under the radar. According to recent patents submitted by Apple, it looks like they might be getting into the gaming industry in a big way.

Judging by the patents submitted, Apple wants to house their device (say an iPhone or iPad) into into an external embodiment that will transform it into a dedicated gaming device. The patents show multiple variations of the suggested gaming accessory, some of which look awfully familiar to Sony’s PSP & the Nintendo DS handheld gaming devices. The patents also show alternative variations of the gaming accessory that can include a camera, vibration, microphone, and an accelerometer.

One of the more interesting items for the gaming accessory is using external devices, such as your TV & home audio system, wirelessly via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or another proprietary wireless technology. The device will then be able to either completely transfer both video & audio to the external devices, or become an accessory to those devices by displaying information relevant to the game (i.e. a map). This idea can be rather interesting as not only would you be able to play games on the go, but you’ll also be able to play the same games wirelessly on your home theater, making it a true handheld gaming console.

If you’re the kind of person who enjoys snuggling up a good patent, then by all means, click the link below to get the full patent. There’s way more in there that I could possibly highlight in this post, so by all means, go for it!

From IntoMobile:
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/04/01/apple-getting-serious-about-gaming-with-new-gaming-accessory-patent.html
found via kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/5508047/apple-admits-gaming-is-hard-on-their-devices-patents-solution/gallery/

Attachments

• Apple-Gaming-Accessory-Patent.jpg
    Apple-Gaming-Accessory-Patent.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 152
We have prior art, but I do find it very very sinister. Filed 6 months after we revealed our first design, filed a couple of months after our first video.

Shame for them that we changed the design to work on ANY phone.

craigix said:
We have prior art, but I do find it very very sinister. Filed 6 months after we revealed our first design, filed a couple of months after our first video.

Yeah, it's sounds like they only want to throw a wrench in your project. I can't see Apple actually releasing such a device on their own.

Lafazar said:
craigix said:

Yeah, it's sounds like they only want to throw a wrench in your project. I can't see Apple actually releasing such a device on their own.

Now I will have to spend next week with patent attorneys. But I'll keep everything that happens public. I was really hoping it was an april fools.

Who says it's not an April's fool?
That pictures on the Gizmodo article don't look like a serious patent apply figure... but better check it out, yes.

EvilDragon said:
Who says it's not an April's fool?
That pictures on the Gizmodo article don't look like a serious patent apply figure... but better check it out, yes.

It's reported on many other sites today. A little late for april fools, even with time zones.

The patent (if it's real) says it was filed on September 30, 2008..

If it's an April Fools it just means that the originator never went on to indicate this anywhere.

Just got an email from the guy who runs the apple patents site - it's real.

We need to get this reported as many places as possible, blogs, twitter, websites.

They 'invented' the icontrolpad 6 months after we revealed it to the world.

Mithrildor said:
So your gonna lawsuit Apple, craig? Good luck!

No, I highly suspect they will lawsuit me trying to stop us selling it. I want the world to know their claims are bullshit.

Dead1nside said:
You have prior art though. That'll cripple any claim that they have on the idea. How does a highly paid Apple lawyer talk themselves out of that one?

They will just try to run us in to the ground on costs.

craigix said:
Dead1nside said:
You have prior art though. That'll cripple any claim that they have on the idea. How does a highly paid Apple lawyer talk themselves out of that one?

They will just try to run us in to the ground on costs.

Exactly right. I work at a small shop and our biggest fear is someone trying to use the legal system to run us into the ground. Sadly they don't even have to be *right*, just force you to spend on legal resources you can't afford.

Nice reward for you guys...try to help a company's product become more functional/popular and they position themselves to be able to crush you.

Likely this *isn't* a shot against you guys but an attempt by Apple to try to do everything it can to stop history from repeating itself when they lost the PC market. They're probably trying to use the US legal system to kill any potential competitors.

Hey Craigx, regardless of what happens with the icontrolpad(i'm rooting for you!), will you still go forward with a version for Android phones? Sorry, if this is a little off topic.

Orion4874 said:
Hey Craigx, regardless of what happens with the icontrolpad(i'm rooting for you!), will you still go forward with a version for Android phones? Sorry, if this is a little off topic.

Well yes, we want to.

This is sad news. Hope that everything will work out for you. Apple should have made a deal with you instead of trying to take credit for your idea.

You have 2 months from the date the application is filed with the USPTO to offer observations and comments based on prior art. Find a lawyer (MUST be someone licensed to practice patent law, I can give referrals if asked) to write a letter. If you can prove your prior art claim, you might derail their application entirely, and then they don't sue you, they sue the USPTO.

I posted about this on my blog
http://blog.gizmothegreen.org/?p=33

If i missed any vital info, or got something wrong, throw me a message on here, or comment on the blog

Back