New Icontrolpad Pictures

Really nice, but I'm disappointed there'll be a wire hanging about. I understand if that was the only way you could go with that design, but would there have been no way of being able to thread it through a clip, or have a small trench where the wire could sit (like in the back of a wired keyboard)?

Last edited by a moderator:
hum, what about apple patent troll attempt?
got some news?

Nice vid.
The thumb returns.
captureaq.png

Edit: Some videos of the iCP in action (SNES, etc) would be good :) .

quote said:
benji_stein said:
Or do you buy the control and clips separately?
Craig's twitter has the answer to your questions.
We haven't been told about price yet.

Edit: Someone tip Engadget about this?

Considering the fact that I despise twitter, and we're discussing the ICP here, I think it's not unreasonable to ask for that clarification here. Because it still isn't 100% clear to me.

I'd also be interested in hearing more about this preorder process. If the Pandora production was so expensive, and needed the initial capital from the pre-orders, where'd the money for the ICP mould come from, if it was just as expensive? Will these be ICP "preorders" (e.g. wait some indeterminate amount of time before receiving? Or getting them shipped immediately?

benji_stein said:
quote said:
benji_stein said:
Or do you buy the control and clips separately?
Craig's twitter has the answer to your questions.
We haven't been told about price yet.

Edit: Someone tip Engadget about this?

Considering the fact that I despise twitter, and we're discussing the ICP here, I think it's not unreasonable to ask for that clarification here. Because it still isn't 100% clear to me.

I'd also be interested in hearing more about this preorder process. If the Pandora production was so expensive, and needed the initial capital from the pre-orders, where'd the money for the ICP mould come from, if it was just as expensive? Will these be ICP "preorders" (e.g. wait some indeterminate amount of time before receiving? Or getting them shipped immediately?

The ICP has not been as expensive or as complex, it was more just about getting the design right and working, the internals are quite simple.

The most expensive part has been the moulding, which we had done in the UK, but we got a deal where we can pay for it over a year rather than all at once.

If this was asked and answered before I apologize. Would an iPad sized version be possible? If so, any plans for something like that? Also, if your phone has a slide out keyboard would it still work since the phone is thicker?

This design is awesome !
And I'm sure it's possible to made an iKeyboard, with the same design, with the same Pandora keyboard's key !!

It would be awesome *_*

Orion4874 said:
If this was asked and answered before I apologize. Would an iPad sized version be possible? If so, any plans for something like that? Also, if your phone has a slide out keyboard would it still work since the phone is thicker?

If we made gigantic clips yes.

craigix said:

Would you really be able to use that? Wouldn't the controls be way in the middle and too far in for anyone's thumbs to reach?

Exophase said:
craigix said:

Would you really be able to use that? Wouldn't the controls be way in the middle and too far in for anyone's thumbs to reach?

It would depend on the design of the clip, I can imagine a way of doing it. It would be pretty weird though and I'm not sure if the ipad would be too heavy to use it in any kind of sensible way.

Is it plausible to release a bluetooth module that the ICP cord plugs into? The wiimote is a decent NES controller for NESoid on my Nexus One over BT, and jailbroken iPads support this scheme as well. All that's lacking are the proper controls of the Insane Clown Posse ICP.

Have you considered making a standard USB controller around this? Seems like it would be just a matter of simple side-rails to cover the hooks, and an extension cord.

--Zero

In the Video you can see the Shoulder Buttons onto the back side. Is it just me or do they look a little bit low placed for reaching with the index fingers? Or are these buttons supposed to work in another way?

I'd say they're placed for the middle fingers. Might take some getting used to.
Edit: Craig, you should send a unit to this guy. iPhone MAME developer.

Orion4874 said:
Would an iPad sized version be possible? If so, any plans for something like that? Also, if your phone has a slide out keyboard would it still work since the phone is thicker?
I really don't see how an iPad version would be possible based on anything we've done right now. It would have to be a new design with two parts that go around the sides to provide one half of the game controls on each side. If they were joined at the back by one long case, you could sure fit a huge spare battery in there though! :)

A phone with a slide out keyboard would most likely have to be closed to go into the iCP clamps. The clamps are designed to encompass all of the phone for safety since no one wants the phone falling out by accident.

fusion_power said:
In the Video you can see the Shoulder Buttons onto the back side. Is it just me or do they look a little bit low placed for reaching with the index fingers? Or are these buttons supposed to work in another way?
I think they work best with the middle fingers. You can also hold the controller a bit lower in your hand and use your index fingers but it depends on how you feel the weight of the iPhone at the top is on your wrists with slightly more leverage towards tilting back. The whole thing isn't very big so it's not a huge difference in finger position one way or the other.

We didn't want the shoulder buttons higher because then they get behind the dpad and ABXY buttons. If they were there, when you are mashing on the buttons in a good game, you will push the whole thing back on your fingers and squeeze the triggers by accident all of the time. There's less chance of that with where they are now. Using your index fingers to support the iCP from the back and your middle fingers curled down over the triggers gives a pretty solid feel I think.

MWeston said:
Orion4874 said:
Would an iPad sized version be possible? If so, any plans for something like that? Also, if your phone has a slide out keyboard would it still work since the phone is thicker?
I really don't see how an iPad version would be possible based on anything we've done right now. It would have to be a new design with two parts that go around the sides to provide one half of the game controls on each side. If they were joined at the back by one long case, you could sure fit a huge spare battery in there though! :)

A phone with a slide out keyboard would most likely have to be closed to go into the iCP clamps. The clamps are designed to encompass all of the phone for safety since no one wants the phone falling out by accident.

Oh, I didn't mean with the existing design. You'd need two huge [ ] shaped brackets and like craigix said it would be very top heavy. I was actually thinking the exact same thing that you described. Picture a silicon skin type design with a half of a psx controller on each side, maybe a third of the way up to offset the weight of the unit. This design would also allow the shoulder buttons to be were everyone is used to them being. It's all neither hear nor there though. Maybe something for the future?

Regarding phones with keyboards, I was wondering if you could use a clamp on half of the phone when it's closed? For example, I have a Moto Cliq and there is a small gap in between the upper and lower halves of the phone where it slides open. Would that give it enough room instead of you guys having to design wider clamps?

thingie1234 said:
UNLESS you don't ship a d*n one of those ICPs until after you've shipped the whole first batch of Pandoras, you're stealing them from OUR two year old orders to make new things - things that haven't been already paid for for the last two years.

Yeah, and we've actually been stealing tested nubs from the iControlPad to put them onto the Pandoras, as they had quality issues...

No worries here, the company spits out about 14000 nubs within a few days once they start mass production.

So the new nubs will be produced at the same time for the Pandora AND the iControlPad.

Last edited:
Actually looks brilliant. I look forward to seeing which Android devices work well with it...though I'm guessing one of the tricky bits about the Android is the variety of phones...

question, what emulators does zodtdd have for the ipod touch? also, what device has the most and best emulators that would possibly be compatible with the icontrolpad?

Back