Icontrolpad Updates!

1adam12 said:
You have 2 months from the date the application is filed with the USPTO to offer observations and comments based on prior art. Find a lawyer (MUST be someone licensed to practice patent law, I can give referrals if asked) to write a letter. If you can prove your prior art claim, you might derail their application entirely, and then they don't sue you, they sue the USPTO.

Well let's try that, can you recommend someone?

Last edited by a moderator:
flaming hell Craig!, between the Pandora and the Icontroler I'm beginning to think you p***ed off the Illuminati or something :ph34r:

maybe you should change your name, call yourself Vivian Kneetremble and change the store to Trendomatic.com, that should throw em off the track ;)

maybe you would like to buy some lucky heather? ever since the local travellers found out I go for that sort of thing I've wound up with crates of the stuff, I'll even pay shipping :D

edit, big worry type thought just hit me, if they have you on their radar then they are probably aware of your other projects....they haven't got a patent-pending on a clamshell games system with dual nubs and D pad have they? maybe all the delays are due to Apples covert "anti-competitor group"? (forget what it's called), it's enough to encourage anyone's latent paranoia :unsure:

The funny thing is Apple won't stop the ICP, if they did shut us down a Chinese company will just clone it and flood the market.

Things should get interesting this month though Pandora building AND ICP building AND Apple trying to stop the ICP.

Why can't we ever get a quiet month?

One thing you may want to be aware of is something called "swearing behind" a patent date. Essentially means they can claim that they invented it a year before they filed it, and that trumps art published in the intervening time. What's the earliest you guys published disclosed your concept?
(not a patent agent/laywer, but I get paid looking for patent infringement)

Dan.

Lingman said:
One thing you may want to be aware of is something called "swearing behind" a patent date. Essentially means they can claim that they invented it a year before they filed it, and that trumps art published in the intervening time. What's the earliest you guys published disclosed your concept?

Dan.

The problem here is the difference between UK and USA law. This is why I need to speak to people this week and lay out a plan of action. (But I intend to keep everything that happens public).

I asked someone who works at Apple about this. Basically Apple employees get a bonus (at least $1000) for each patent they propose. Apple has full-time patent attorneys to write these things up. They will file patents on just about anything.

In my opinion, the Icontrolpad is the best thing ever conceived for iPod touches/iPhones. I hope you can find a way to stop Apple from stealing your idea.

Just want to say: maybe they didn't know about your thing. A good solution it seems to me is for them to buy the rights to the design (particularly since it seems you have the world's best nubs).

Certainly worth exploring an amicable settlement before you get all lawyered up.

craigix said:
Lingman said:

Dan.

The problem here is the difference between UK and USA law. This is why I need to speak to people this week and lay out a plan of action. (But I intend to keep everything that happens public).

Can they really do something for you in UK from USA? :(
I dont know how USA laws work for suing people from foreign countries.
There is some kind of international agreement for these situations?

Craig, why on earth didn't you patent the device when you came up with the design? It was new, it was original - why did you not try to protect that?

I know that it's easy to look back in hind-sight and say that's obvious now, but having not done so is looking likely to cause you severe difficulties. :(

better get the Pandora patented before Apple tries to "re-create" that too :p

About the patent: In Germany, Apple never gets his patent through, because the german law says, that an idea, that was already published, cannot be patented anymore.
That might be a good news in Germany, but Craig should prove, if in UK there are the same legislation.

Craig, I know you intend to keep the process open, both to expose Apple and to keep us updated, but it might be a mistake strategically to share things like your arguments for court (If it gets that far). Lawyers could read everything you are going to say, and form their counterarguments plenty ahead of time. You would be walking straight into a bloodbath. Your best bet is to let everyone know AFTER each day in court.

iprice said:
Craig, why on earth didn't you patent the device when you came up with the design? It was new, it was original - why did you not try to protect that?

I know that it's easy to look back in hind-sight and say that's obvious now, but having not done so is looking likely to cause you severe difficulties. :(

better get the Pandora patented before Apple tries to "re-create" that too :p

We do have the IP for it, but you can get clip on joypads for PDAs and there was even one for the ZX spectrum back in the 80's - people have posted various photos to the slashdot article.

The issue here isn't that we don't have a patent, it is that Apple filed a patent for something we created.

Back