Ipad: What Do People Here Think Of It?

lulzfish said:
/copydir said:
borgqueenx said:
i am a fan of all products apple made, until this one.
The ipad looks like a big pictureframe, or a stretched iphone.

People will chose the macbook air, instead of this. anyways i would.

Seriously, this device is just a large picture frame.
WHY would anyone want a $1400 crapbook air with a low mhz dual core processor? when i could get a faster quad core laptop at bestbuy for $800?
Because it's thin and everybody knows thin computers are better.
ohhhh i get it now!
It's like the Hot Skinny girl. Great to look at, costs lots of money to keep around. But as bright as a two watt light bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
/copydir said:
lulzfish said:
/copydir said:
borgqueenx said:

WHY would anyone want a $1400 crapbook air with a low mhz dual core processor? when i could get a faster quad core laptop at bestbuy for $800?
ohhhh i get it now!
It's like the Hot Skinny girl. Great to look at, costs lots of money to keep around. But as bright as a two watt light bulb.
And not as good in bed as she appears to be, but hey, all your friends are jealous.

lulzfish said:
/copydir said:
lulzfish said:
/copydir said:
borgqueenx said:

ohhhh i get it now!
And not as good in bed as she appears to be, but hey, all your friends are jealous.
If only this pyramid weren't so big... you'd all be SIG'D! :D

large_image.jpg

I think oversized cellphones would get over them, I still can download 0$ books in a plain text format.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/02/meet-the-a4-the-ipads-brain.ars

As I watched the videos and read the reports of the iPad in action at the launch event, I was thoroughly convinced that the device was built on the out-of-order Cortex A9, possibly even a dual-core version. But it turns out that the the A4 is a 1GHz custom SoC with a single Cortex A8 core and a PowerVR SGX GPU. The fact that A4 uses a single A8 core hasn't been made public, but I've heard from multiple sources who are certain for different reasons that this is indeed the case. (I wish I could be more specific, but I can't.)

In all, the A4 is quite comparable to the other Cortex A8-based SoCs that are coming onto the market, except that the A4 has even less hardware. The iPad doesn't have much in the way of I/O, so the A4 itself can do away with the I/O that it doesn't need. In contrast, the typical Cortex A8-based SoC has more I/O hardware than a mobile phone can use, because you never know what customers will need which interface types.

i dont think it's supposed to be a real tablet or much of an ipod/itouch. i've just come to the opinion that it's designed to kill the amazon kindle. amazon may have to fight back, or they'll lose their #1 sale position on their own website! just a sweet kindle with many more functions (both do have 3g capabilites though, if you buy the more expensive ipad that is). unfortunately this device is not what i thought it was gonna be. worse thing since the apple tv...

^ I think we shouldn't think too much about hardware sales. These days content gets more important. Dell will cooperate with Amazon and access Amazon's content through their 5" "Streak" device. Amazon is more a content provider than hardware seller and can offer their service on any device if they want to.

mali said:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/02/meet-the-a4-the-ipads-brain.ars

As I watched the videos and read the reports of the iPad in action at the launch event, I was thoroughly convinced that the device was built on the out-of-order Cortex A9, possibly even a dual-core version. But it turns out that the the A4 is a 1GHz custom SoC with a single Cortex A8 core and a PowerVR SGX GPU. The fact that A4 uses a single A8 core hasn't been made public, but I've heard from multiple sources who are certain for different reasons that this is indeed the case. (I wish I could be more specific, but I can't.)

In all, the A4 is quite comparable to the other Cortex A8-based SoCs that are coming onto the market, except that the A4 has even less hardware. The iPad doesn't have much in the way of I/O, so the A4 itself can do away with the I/O that it doesn't need. In contrast, the typical Cortex A8-based SoC has more I/O hardware than a mobile phone can use, because you never know what customers will need which interface types.

I don't understand why people were under the impression that the ipad A4 chip was a dual-core Cortex A9. The minute that Jobs said that the ipad would run all ipod application without any change I knew that this was nothing more than a large clocked iphone...

But if I'm to get one of these new tablets I'm gonna go for JooJoo :D.

https://thejoojoo.com/

^ If 2h of battery life is enough, just do it :p

Btw, if it's got to be x86, why not something with more up to date tech, like CULV?

mali said:
^ If 2h of battery life is enough, just do it :p

Btw, if it's got to be x86, why not something with more up to date tech, like CULV?

Well it is supposed to have 5 hours of battery life ;). Plus it has the NVIDIA Ion :D.

^ It'll have to have a huge and heavy battery to get 5h out of an N270 +ION. I really doubt it.

mali said:
^ It'll have to have a huge and heavy battery to get 5h out of an N270 +ION. I really doubt it.

We'll find out next week. They supposedly start shipping next week.

Regards

André

fettouhi said:
mali said:

We'll find out next week. They supposedly start shipping next week.

Regards

André

I'll believe it when I see it. I've gained some interest in these types of devices. I came to the conclusion that Spring Design's Alex is one of the best of the ones coming out, but is ridiculously expensive. If I was to get one, I'd probably go for the iPad, because it's really cheap. I just wish it had multitasking and flash.

iPad is really cheap? Man, how did that happen. These things should be costing $300, not $500+.

Exophase said:
iPad is really cheap? Man, how did that happen. These things should be costing $300, not $500+.

I meant cheap considering the competition.

Nova said:

I know you did, and the whole thing is a little crazy. You can't compete with Apple by selling at Apple prices.

Multitasking should come once it's jailbroken. There's a Cydia app for it on the iPhone.

Exophase said:
Nova said:

I know you did, and the whole thing is a little crazy. You can't compete with Apple by selling at Apple prices.

True story. It can't cost that much more to manufacture a netbook with capacitive touch, so why so much for a tablet?

Nova said:
Exophase said:
Nova said:

True story. It can't cost that much more to manufacture a netbook with capacitive touch, so why so much for a tablet?
Because they can charge shitloads more and people won't know any better than to buy them. Long story short, tablets are only useful for rolling blunts.

Back