Ipad: What Do People Here Think Of It?

HACKS!
http://twitpic.com/1d794y
The iPad has been hacked for root access.

Crunchwrap said:
Long story short, tablets are only useful for rolling blunts.

Huh? rolling blunts? And $300 is a bit much for a tablet. Apparently the joojoo is a half kilo or more heavier than the ipad. x86 just doesn't work well for a tablets today.

Last edited by a moderator:
bnolsen said:
Crunchwrap said:

Huh? rolling blunts? And $300 is a bit much for a tablet. Apparently the joojoo is a half kilo or more heavier than the ipad. x86 just doesn't work well for a tablets today.

Does if you're rolling a blunt.

bnolsen said:
Crunchwrap said:
Huh? blunts?
I think it's a cigarette made with marijuana and hand-rolled.
Edit: Yeah, you could probably smoke all kinds of things just by sticking them near the heatsink of an x86.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/editorial-ipad-prices-are-out-of-control-and-will-kill-us-all/

The hype that anything apple gets is disgusting... I'm not supporting any closed prodcutitivy tool.

hosant said:
The hype that anything apple gets is disgusting... I'm not supporting any closed prodcutitivy tool.
Even when they make something bad, it gets this much negative hype.
Damn.

Negative, seriously? Seems like the response has been overwhelmingly favorable for Apple. Even Engadget's AppStore complaint is more directed at third parties and in favor of the iPad platform itself..

I've been reading this and that and I think they have come up with a really good idea. The only negative aspect about it is that it is so locked down that you can't do what you want and have to do what Apple wants. A lot of devices are like this, one's not from apple, and this is fixed by rooting devices which has been done.

The cost is Apple, don't like high prices don't consider Apple products.

It is still way to early to tell if this is going to be a device anyone will want. I wouldn't even consider getting one until the second revision comes out so most of these reviews are going in one ear and out the other. This early on the only people saying the love or hate it are zealots anyway and shouldn't be listened to. The thing hasn't even been out for a week has it? People need to remember to breath every now and then. Now that it's out I'll develop a full opinion when it matures a little bit, maybe this will take as long as when the second revision comes out.

I was shocked at how insanely positive all the early reviews were then it made sense considering they only let very few sources have review units. Still, while stuff like ipad is good for people who don't care about price or value its definitely not for geeks that don't care for overly simplified interfaces and a closed system.

Ok, more negativity, the USB port exceeds the specifications and some laptops refuse to charge the pad. Wifi reception is said to be rather weak.
http://www.netbooknews.de/15088/erste-ipad-probleme-schwaches-wifi-und-stoerrische-usb-akkuaufladung/

fettouhi said:
mali said:
^ It'll have to have a huge and heavy battery to get 5h out of an N270 +ION. I really doubt it.

We'll find out next week. They supposedly start shipping next week.

Regards

André

Well, 2.5h it is. What a disappointment :( The engineers are clearly idiots.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/fusion-garage-joojoo-review/

I like apple stuff in all honesty, I'm not a fanboy, I don't own a mac, and refuse to one unless the price gets cut in 1/3... might get lucky on ebay at some point.. who knows.

Anyway, I went to my local apple store to check out one of these iPads.... they had 5, sold 2, was thinking about picking one up, but decided against it. Here's the deal... it's a big ipod touch. If you wish the iPod was bigger, bout the same as a netbook without the keyboard, then this is for you. If you like your gadgets pocket-able, obviously this isn't. I fall into the second category. I like pocket-able gadgets, and that's that.

I pride myself in my unbiased opinions, I don't hold allegiance to any genre, manufacturer or OS so I really think people respect my opinions, they may not agree, but they respect them.

Hardware wise the iPad was very sturdy, little bit heavier than I would have wanted. Scratch resistant glass screen was beautiful and crisp. Really nice resolution, very sharp images and vivid colors. Take your ipod and times it by like 5. I could just tell by holding it however that if I dropped it, it would crack or break... somewhere... I'll throw my god damn ipod across the room without fear... There I just did it. ;) Nada scratch. I'd be scared to take that ipad out and about with me without a bag or something.

The size is about right for a "laptop" you can type right on the screen sitting on your lap about the same as a netbook. Not quite as spacious as a normal keyboard but 100x better than on screen keyboards I've used in the past. As you might have guessed, everything "just worked" in the display model I used. They had some racing game I tested and the graphics are really nice.

It's fun, it's gimmicky... brag to your friends about it, but here's the problem, it's just not practical. I'm not going to wear a man purse just for a gadget. If I am going to wear a backpack, I'm going to go biking or camping, and no need for a portable. If I have a briefcase, I'm going to work, and my briefcase has my laptop. I don't think I'm the niche that this product is looking for. I'm curious as to what niche it is actually trying to target. I could see this as a nice coffee table computer. It's stylish like that and more hip than a netbook. Netbooks are more functional than the iPad and I don't see it doing any one thing better than anything else I own. If I didn't own a netbook, I'd probally get one to fill the need for something that small and portable around the house.

The 1ups I see is the touch screen and the "stupid user" environment. I love this for my home theater pc, it only does what the menu lets you do. And that is fine as long as that menu has everything I want it to have. iPad has this dumbed down experience. Internet, music, movies, apps, basic settings and controls, if less is more for you, then this is a great expereince. I can see the niche this fits in, but I don't know if that's what they are targeting, it looks like they're going after the mid 20's or the late 40's... and they want it to be a coffee shop type of computer, and a out and about computer... regardless it just is not for me.

hope you enjoyed my unbiased as possible iPad review. I don't own it and it was just my impression after 10-15 min of use, so take from it what you will. See ya.

-Grant

Good review. I'd like to see, now, how the Apple iPad compares to the Joojoo, AKA Crunchpad.

Jourdy288 said:
Good review. I'd like to see, now, how the Apple iPad compares to the Joojoo, AKA Crunchpad.
ask and thee shall receive
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/ipad-vs-joojoo-fight/

Oh yeah, the crunchpad, is that ever coming out in any form or are the lawyers still duking it out? I fear that even though it should have been first to market everyone will still say it's a iPad rip off with worse battery life.

second exodous said:
Oh yeah, the crunchpad, is that ever coming out in any form or are the lawyers still duking it out? I fear that even though it should have been first to market everyone will still say it's a iPad rip off with worse battery life.
It came out under the company that "stole" the idea with the name JooJoo.

Crunchwrap said:
second exodous said:
It came out under the company that "stole" the idea with the name JooJoo.
What a terrible name.

Sphinxter said:
It's the perfect solution to a problem no one had.
Do you need to be able to access the web on a big high resolution screen while snorting a line of coke off of a cheap hooker's asscrack? Now you can!

Back