Ipad: What Do People Here Think Of It?

DaveC said:
rsuryase said:
Microsoft is worse than Apple. Hopefully Google won't turn out like them. SONY is bad too.
No I think Apple has passed Microsoft in the asshattery race to the bottom.

Prime example:

I bought an album through iTunes (don't do it any more) Their crappy software bugged out while downloading (I use Windows, Apple saw fit to punish me for it). Of course the part that charges my bank account worked perfectly. Now I don't have the album or my money. I called them and waited the 1/2 hour after tricking their automated "piss off don't bother us" phone menu into talking with a real human. They said they refunded me, they didn't.

Microsoft on the other hand has their Xbox live DL service set up so that if you buy a download you can re-download the same thing to your unit as many times as you want. I think their Zune service may be similar (not sure) So if your download bugs out your HDd needs re-formatting or something you can just re-download the app. Not so with Apple, you would have to either navigate the Apple phonemaze of death and beg for a credit or pay for the download again.

Don't know what happened there for you, but on iTunes if you download an album or song, you can redownload it to a new laptop or whatever. I know because I buy a large portion of my music on iTunes and have it on three pcs.

Last edited by a moderator:
SONY said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Q9NP-AeKX40[/youtube]
Ah, so that is what the iPad is for, to entertain cats. A cat toy if you will. That means the iPad is even more over priced than originally suspected, cats only use toys for a few weeks at most before growing bored.

DaveC said:
rsuryase said:
Microsoft is worse than Apple. Hopefully Google won't turn out like them. SONY is bad too.

Prime example:

If you think that's bad, Apple are locking out First Gen users from Iphone OS 4. All those people now own expensive paperweights!

The devices have only been out for 2 1/2 years. Nice one Apple!

ashdjones said:
If you think that's bad, Apple are locking out First Gen users from Iphone OS 4. All those people now own expensive paperweights!

people still use 1st gen iphones? 2 years in mobile technology is like 20 in desktop years. (iphone came out 29 June 2007 so almost 3 years) Can't you get a 3gs for $200? I mean come on, if you're dumping $100/mo on phone service, I'm sure you can afford the that kinda upgrade for a generally faster and sleeker phone. (i'm cheap, I go with sprint and their *excellent* phones :rollseyes:)
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pda-phones-smartphones.jsp

Read that while I go call microsoft and ask them why I can't (officially) install windows xp on my 486.
UPDATE: microsoft officially quit supporting xp! WTF lol

And just because it can't get the latest and greatest OS doesn't mean it's a paperweight, 3.x will still be supported, you just don't get all the fancy. They're not going to go around and OTA brick people's phone.... (on second thought, they are pretty evil)

What I am upset about, is that they are cutting 2nd gen ipod touches out of multi-tasking, "not powerful enough" that's what I'm mad about. I run true multi-tasking on my jailbroken 2nd gen ipod touch (not that api-multitask-look-alike) and it runs absolutely fine and with IMO a better GUI (palm pre clone), internet radio, browsing, gaming, instant message, no problem at all. 2nd gen ipods and iphone 3g is where they're screwing people. I've only had mine for little over a year now. And watch them charge for the gimped upgrade too like they did with 3.x. *anger*

EDIT: oh... btw I gave my sister my acer one netbook and I did end up getting that iPad after all... ya know... gadget addict :lol: , opinion still hasn't changed much, makes a good living room computer.

Do most people hand over phones they don't want to carriers for recycle or just dump it in the trash?

rsuryase said:
Do most people hand over phones they don't want to carriers for recycle or just dump it in the trash?
I still have all my phones, I mean to take them back but never do. I always get the freebies that are easy to switch the chip so sometimes when the one I use breaks I use one of my old ones again, that is kinda recycling isn't it?

rsuryase said:
sprint offers a recycle program if your phone is relatively new, got $100 credit when I did the palm pre to hero upgrade. And I got $50 for my htc mogul. But before that I would throw them in my box of misc gadgets if they're still worth hacking into. I still got my first LG dumbphone floating around here somewhere.

I've been using my mobile (crappy Sharp TM100) for the last 7 years and see no need to change it. It does what it does - e.g. talk and txt - Iphones, Ipads, Iwhatevers seem to be all the rage - but for all the e-waste it produces from continually upgrading just so people can be on your arsebook doesn't seem worth it.

Every time I move it seems I have to switch from Verizon to AT&T or back again because reception works better in my house for whatever one I don't have. Well, you get the picture. When I change to one I always tell them I already have one of their phones but they insist I get a new phone from them, drives me nuts. Here in the US a phone from the cell company is mandatory but when I lived in Brazil they give you a chip and you either buy a phone from them or go buy one somewhere else, I wish it was like that everywhere.

second exodous said:
Every time I move it seems I have to switch from Verizon to AT&T or back again because reception works better in my house for whatever one I don't have. Well, you get the picture. When I change to one I always tell them I already have one of their phones but they insist I get a new phone from them, drives me nuts. Here in the US a phone from the cell company is mandatory but when I lived in Brazil they give you a chip and you either buy a phone from them or go buy one somewhere else, I wish it was like that everywhere.

If reception in your house is the biggest decider, AT&T and Sprint offer femtocells in certain locations

ashdjones said:
DaveC said:
rsuryase said:

Prime example:

Don't be silly, those people will still get the exact same functionality as they previously had. They just won't be entitled to upgrade.

And rightfully so, which cellphone manufacturer still releases updates for their 3 year old phones? It makes perfect sense to not make the new firmware for the older phones, because if they did, there would be no progress; whatever they chose to do with the firmware would be restricted to the hardware requirements of a phone that is now out of date in the tech world.

Also, anyone who owns a iPhone 2G would be entitled to a free upgrade by now anyway.

I can't believe we gonna have PS3 quality graphics on a handheld/smartphone in 5 years. Amazing.

stupid.gif

4.0 looks awesome, I'm looking forward to multitasking :).

I can do almost all of what it offers with jailbreaking anyway. But hey, this makes it more official and of course it looks better.

Here's another really nice tablet, the Notion Ink Adam. The only flaw I could find with it was it has capacitive multi-touch, resistive multi-touch would have been better. Other than that it's pretty much a perfect tablet device IMO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQvefuCHZds

Still don't see much need for tablets though, I'm waiting for eBook readers to reduce in price instead (eInk FTW).

Got my iPad 3G today. Luv <3 the iPad :) BUT watching video over 3G is very pixelated, like a 56Kbps vid. And the restrictions on file management and codec support is not cool. Other than that it's awesome. I'm gonna sell my Kindle DX.

Back