Is There An Order Counter Or Somehting?

WizardStan said:
craigix said:
We're working with a local company to 'borrow' their engineers to help us set up. They would make the moulds, we would load them up and make the parts here.

The more we can put on site the more we can control, the more power we have.
why the need to make new moulds though? I thought these that you've paid for should be good for quite a few presses beyond the initial 10000.

because they're CHINESE!!!! :eek:

(maybe because the case has a few flaws)

Last edited by a moderator:
the only reasons i can see for making new moulds is either because the existing ones wouldn't be compatible with the machines the new company used or because the Chinese company wouldnt sell them the moulds they made.

WizardStan said:
craigix said:
We're working with a local company to 'borrow' their engineers to help us set up. They would make the moulds, we would load them up and make the parts here.

why the need to make new moulds though? I thought these that you've paid for should be good for quite a few presses beyond the initial 10000.

Any future revisions and products (I should point out that none of this will be happening until next year). At least 12,000 Pandoras will ship on the current moulds with no changes.

craigix said:

A very good plan. What's the price of moulding machine itself? If you manage to become that much independent from third parties, you might actually end up being extremely successful after it all gains steam. Don't give up!

kuru said:
AFAIK OPinc already owns the molds.
Not until Craigix has it in his very own hands. A package with mold might mysteriously get lost in postal office, no matter if by a stupid mistake, or intentionally by sabotage. It can happen. This mold is so vital to your success, that it would be better if Fatih went to China, took that mold by hiself, and brought it to UK by himself. The extra cost of plane tickets diminishes if compared to what would happen if the molds were somehow "lost".

Or you could buy an outrageous insurance on that package, when it is sent to UK. Like 2mln pounds. Which is cheaper: plane tickets to China+UK, or insurance for 2mln pounds?

Pleng said:
craigix said:
There isn't a counter but the full 4000 should be shipped by the start of October.

first July, then October.... hmm this is getting freakingly like a mirror of last year. Except this time we're counting down to when the LAST units ship as opposed to the first ones.

I couldn't possibly comment, on the grounds that I'm trolling when I point out things like this. But yeah.

D.

craigix said:
LeChuck87 said:
so craig, you want to make the moulding on your own? do you have qualified employees for moulding? (seems to be a complicated job..)

just asking...

So, do you mean you are making another set of dies? Or are you getting the dies that were made in china sent over and set up at a local injection moulding plant?

Also, after the cost of shipping and given that Chinese currency is stronger as of late and their workers are demanding higher pay, are there any savings to be made from having the parts moulded in China? Especially versus your idea of what the quality of the finished parts should be?

craigix said:
There isn't a counter but the full 4000 should be shipped by the start of October.

Speed will really ramp up in July now we have solved many of the initial teething issues.

*whince* It's nice to hear that the teething troubles are being ironed out. However between not really knowing if the queue numbers are indeed the numbers being followed, or if they are accurate between all three shops, and now this estimate of October I'm a bit distraught. I was really counting on late July for a reasonable estimate of my 2200-2300 order.

Thanks for the honest update though.

craigix said:
Any future revisions and products (I should point out that none of this will be happening until next year). At least 12,000 Pandoras will ship on the current moulds with no changes.

The first thing I'd revise would be the hinge, it's the only aspect of the design of the pandora which is seriously weak IMHO.

To clarify, the hinge should either have an extra locking position for desktop use, or be stiff enough to stay upright in any position.

Used my Pandora for a week and the hinge is getting a lot looser already.

Mr Loon said:
The first thing I'd revise would be the hinge, it's the only aspect of the design of the pandora which is seriously weak IMHO.

To clarify, the hinge should either have an extra locking position for desktop use, or be stiff enough to stay upright in any position.

This isn't something that would be fixed with the mould: it's basically just an additional piece of plastic that goes inside the hinge. As OPT has said on many occasions, the locking mechanism they got was the only one they could get over the counter. To get anything else, it would need to be custom made.

WizardStan said:
Mr Loon said:
This isn't something that would be fixed with the mould: it's basically just an additional piece of plastic that goes inside the hinge. As OPT has said on many occasions, the locking mechanism they got was the only one they could get over the counter. To get anything else, it would need to be custom made.

Interesting, a 2 minute search found me this : replacement nds hinge from Deal extreme.

Might need to change the mould so it would fit.

I'm sure there are plenty of better designs than the current one which would require the mould to be changed. Even a hinge that could be locked into position with a thumbscrew would be an improvement on what we have got now.

The existing hinge comes from the same people that manufacture Nintendo's hinge, if memory serves. They are not allowed to sell them to the team, I gather. I'll make a completely unscientific guess that the DealExtreme hinge might be trouble, for that reason. :p

From here;

DaveC said:
This is the only hinge that we could get off of the shelf. The one with 2 locking positions was custom designed for Nintendo and they wouldn't sell it to us. Believe me, we asked. The only choice we would have had would to have a custom one designed for us but that would mean minimum order, long lead times (delays) and high cost and tooling charges.

Believe me we wanted more than the open and closed detent but couldn't get it in a resonable time frame and cost. The PSP Go and all of those slide keyboard phones don't open at different angles either, just pretend it is like one of those.

craigix said:

OCTOBER!?!?! AUGH! I'm, like #3999 - can't you at least make it before my birthday, early September?

Though, if silly people keep canceling...

Ollonk said:
I will be both disappointed and ecstatic if this thing gets here by early October. I'm near 4000, and my birthday is in early October.

Still, I want it now, but it can't happen.

My B-day is in early October as well. I have just requested a 2 week vacation around that time. Im not optimistic about the proposed date (things happen) :unsure: . If all units are to ship by October, would the TV/out cables and other accessories be ready by then?

haha, make it my birthday wish of september 28th. also, can i have the last one :p

Slightly worried about the hinge now... Dang it this is why I shouldn't be here until mine arrives, I'm getting carried away with negative reports.

Back