Is there really a light at the end of the journey...?

Brick is the best shape :)
fullACK. Brick ist teh only desogn that will survive how I usually stuff my daily backpack. Taht ist honestly the reason why I hate this modern mobile devices design "foodprint A3, but 3mm thin". Would break, when I THINK how I would stuff it mentioned backpack :)

It has been a very very long and deep tunnel, so long and deep I don't remember how many years we are stuck in it. Still I don't see the light at the end, because I don't see the end: we continue in this tunnel at least for half a year or more, even if we want to believe 2-months-TM

I keep reading comments about how the Pyra will be obsolete before it's ready. Now my understanding of obsolete is that it has been replaced by something that does everything it does but better, so if you could point me to the more up to date handheld Linux computer I should be buying instead of the Pyra...

I keep reading comments about how the Pyra will be obsolete before it's ready. Now my understanding of obsolete is that it has been replaced by something that does everything it does but better, so if you could point me to the more up to date handheld Linux computer I should be buying instead of the Pyra...
gpd-win 2 lol

gpd-win 2 lol
Does the GPD-Win 2 have a lot of removable storage? an easy to type on keyboard in a handheld situation? easily removable battery? Upgradabilty path? Support after a year when GPD-Win X comes out? A non-glued in battery that won't swell up and break open the casing?

So far it's not better at everything, just better at running Windows programs for a short period of time.

Last edited:
I definitely looked at the Win2, but every time my finger hovers over the buy now button I learn something disappointing about it and go back to waiting for the Pyra.

The closest device that I have found is the Planet Computers Gemini. No gaming controls. Storage is limited when compared to the Pyra, but compared to most phones -huge- (64GB onboard + microSDXC) (I have 64 + 200 GB in mine). Keyboard is meant for touch typing on a flat surface. Key pitch is about 70% of normal - tight for touch typing. Thumb typing is compromised as well - angles are wrong for flat(ish) keys. Has speakers on both sides, but not in stereo. Linux is officially 'an option', but is community supported. Open bootloader, OS loading software for Win10 and Linux included for free. So, no, it isn't going to make a Pyra irrelevant any day soon.

Does the GPD-Win 2 have a lot of removable storage? an easy to type on keyboard in a handheld situation? easily removable battery? Upgradabilty path? Support after a year when GPD-Win X comes out? A non-glued in battery that won't swell up and break open the casing?

So far it's not better at everything, just better at running Windows programs for a short period of time.

To be fair:

The WIN 2 does have a lot of removable storage including a fast user swappable SSD.

And yes, I find the keyboard easy to thumb type on . A lot of users have reported typing speeds of ~ 40 wpm with a little practice, with a few people(freaks :) ) reporting top speeds of about 60 wpm at the top end

It does not have a user fast swappable battery. Although it can be replaced if it ever fails

No upgrade path, but it does have a SOC that is a lot faster than the Omap5 and also has a proper cooling system to allow you to get a lot out of it

Battery swelling was an issue with some WIN 1's not the WIN 2, in fact the WIN 2 was designed to address that issue

Windows updates continue to come via mircrosoft, and driver updates are regularly available from MS and Intel etc

The battery on the WIN 2 is ~ 10,000mAh. or about 66% larger than that on the PYRA. If you want long battery life you can dial down the TDP to say 3W or maybe lower and still get better peformance than the omap5 while getting very long battery life if you want that.

Last edited:
I definitely looked at the Win2, but every time my finger hovers over the buy now button I learn something disappointing about it and go back to waiting for the Pyra.

I learnt something disappointing about the Win2; the Win1 and the GPD XD.

Back