I've Canceled

Lunatic said:
sryidc said:
i do find it funny that these people who waited over two years are giving up because of a two month wait. how did they make it the two years?

Do you really believe it will be only two more months before the first batch is finished?
2 - 3 months yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Bosbeetle said:
Hello apple, yes this is one of your customers, I was wondering how is assembly of the iPhone 4 going, did you receive all the components and are there any problems in the production?

What you wont tell us, i will never by a product of you again! :angry:

:)

And I bet they have more than 4000 preorders.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/20100616/tc_ytech_wguy/ytech_wguy_tc2639

only 596000 more

People created unrealistic expectations based on overly positive and biased reviews. Now that real people have begun to receive theirs and have reviewed EVERY aspect (including all the little negatives), people are beginning to feel it doesn't live up to their expectations.

fraseyboy said:
People created unrealistic expectations based on overly positive and biased reviews. Now that real people have begun to receive theirs and have reviewed EVERY aspect (including all the little negatives), people are beginning to feel it doesn't live up to their expectations.

This was my second reason for cancelling - the software looks fantastic, and the concept of gaming controls and keyboard are what caused me to fall in love with the device in the first place. Conceptually the pandora is strong. My concern was the points raised in a few reviews I read, and from what evil dragon said, these problems are being identified and improved upon prior to assembly. I just feel that I'd rather get one when a few batches have gone through, so I know most fit and finish issues are resolved.

What I mean by this is the left and right triggers. I've read and heard a few reports where these have only pushed down correctly when pushed dead centre. That honestly was a deal breaker for me. Again, this is something I would expect to improve with time. I was expecting big company levels of aesthetic quality and I realise now that this was unrealistic for the first batch. For some that may be part of the appeal, not so much for me.

I mentioned in my third comment that I use an iPhone, a iMac and a Macbook Pro as my primary devices, and that I saw the pandora (for me) as being a convergence device with some heavy lifting emulation capabilities. This seemed to incite a lot of the usual anti-apple, and apple fan boy remarks which surprised me because this is honestly not the point I was driving at. Let's look at it from another point of view. I use a smart phone, a Desktop, and a laptop as my primary devices, and I saw the pandora as the perfect convergence device with emulation capabilities.

I still do, in regards to the gaming controls, and agree with evil dragon that in this capacity the pandora does not have any competition. For Internet use however there is definitely some crossover, and the device I chose to replace my pandora with is doing its job very nicely. I'm just disappointed I can't load up pandora panic on it, but I'm happy at least that I have a device capable of doing most of the jobs I bought the pandora for TWO YEARS ago.

This neatly brings me to my last point, and the reason why I canceled when I did so close to actually receiving mine. The experience of following a project for two years and tolerating long periods of silence, followed by ambiguity and guesswork is only fun when the product you receive at the end means more to you than the negative things you have to go through in order to get it. For me this balance shifted after the first few units shipped out and then supply issues once again raised their ugly heads. At that point it was irrelevant for me weather the wait was two years, two months or two week, I just simply wasn't enjoying the experience anymore. I was annoyed by it, worried by it and obsessing over it. At this point it was clear to me that I need to do this on my own terms.

My own terms are to pull out, relax, then buy when availability is abundant and quality is improved.

Some may view this post as overly emotional and dramatic. others might actually identify with the experiences I'm sharing.

sryidc said:
i do find it funny that these people who waited over two years are giving up because of a two month wait. how did they make it the two years?

Same as everyone else, "two months", at a time. Been two years and shipping is almost here but hey, it doesn't look exactly like the render, controls are less than perfect, that 3ds looks amazing, odroid S does 1GHz and has the same gpu, apple sucks but many find their toys attractive, we all have our limits but until you hit it don't know what that limit is exactly and maybe some just have happened to find their limit at around the two year mark. Probably a very good feeling not wondering, stressing or caring about it anymore.

Sphinxter said:
sryidc said:

Same as everyone else, "two months", at a time. Been two years and shipping is almost here but hey, it doesn't look exactly like the render, controls are less than perfect, that 3ds looks amazing, odroid S does 1GHz and has the same gpu, apple sucks but many find their toys attractive, we all have our limits but until you hit it don't know what that limit is exactly and maybe some just have happened to find their limit at around the two year mark. Probably a very good feeling not wondering, stressing or caring about it anymore.

But the stress and the worry goes away once you get your Pandora... and you have the bonus of... having a Pandora!

But no, I still respect anyone who decides to pull out. The Pandora wasn't what I imagined it would be, and it's not perfect... but it's still remarkable, special and inexplicable. You grow very attached to it. It's hard to explain really, but it's more fun that any handheld I can remember.

I just spent the entire day glued to Battle of Wesnoth on the iPad. Best way to play, ever. And the iPad port is truly brilliant. Anyone who doesn't want an iPad, simply hasn't yet come to terms with the fact that they do want one.

I dare say that cancelling my Pandora pre-order has crossed my mind with the iPhone 4 looming, but thus far I have remained strong. If only because I don't want my rectum repeatedly violated by the knobbly diseased phalluses of our spectacularly evil and greedy mobile phone networks.

Back