July News?

@chad78 actually ioquake that tom is porting to the pandora has mic support (although tom is gonna have to merge it back in since his code is older than the mic support code) read through the end of the quake 3 post in the dev forum

cb88 said:
@chad78 actually ioquake that tom is porting to the pandora has mic support (although tom is gonna have to merge it back in since his code is older than the mic support code) read through the end of the quake 3 post in the dev forum
Beat me to it. :p Thanks!

Also, I'm sure over time that other games will develop voice support through netplay, perhaps even emulators and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking that a headset/mic could be used for VoIP. I don't know how it would, technically, work, but I think it would be very cool to be able to connect to the internet through a Cell Network modem.
Pandora will have a fully-powered USB for a device like that to plug into. I'm unsure if each different modem requires a specific, proprietary, software or if it's at least a standardized whatnot.

Just a thought.

chad78 said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
The reference is to microphone support; microphone support is used for games.
Genuine question... okay, maybe half genuine...

What games do you plan on playing on a handheld that need a microphone? This thing won't play DS games - so whistling for your Nintendog is out, so is blowing out WarioWare's candles. And, unless this TINXL (or whatever it's called) thing actually happens - cussing out the n00bz you just pwned in your FPS is pretty much out, too.
You can't completely dismiss DS games, we don't know what's possible as far as DS emulation yet.

-God Ginrai

You could always use a teamspeak-like app in the background WHILE playing the game to achieve chat in game. As far as I know, more recent versions of ioquake include voice chat anyway.

MWeston said:
No, the headphone jack is the standard 3.5mm and is on the front. It supports tip-ring-ground for normal audio usage and tip-ring-ring-ground for headsets with a built in microphone.

The AV port is now on the back as most have requested. From the back, the button/jack configuration is as follows:

Right shoulder ---- USB OTG ---- AV port ---- USB Host ---- DC jack ---- Left shoulder
This is something I wanted to ask about, and wasn't sure if it was answered elsewhere. I basically know nothing about audio jack standards, so I was curious about whether or not the iphone's click functionality for swtiching songs, answering calls etc. was a proprietary connection, or was in some standard, and if so, if the pandora had this type of jack. I have previously owned an iphone and would enjoy being able to click to skip songs whilst listening to a closed pandora. :D

If you use bluetooth A2DP headphones with AVRCP controls, skipping forward/backward and play/pause would be able to be implemented.

emil10001 said:
If you use bluetooth A2DP headphones with AVRCP controls, skipping forward/backward and play/pause would be able to be implemented.
I'd rather avoid bluetooth if possible. It's another 50+ dollars and another battery to change or re-charge.

God Ginrai said:
chad78 said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

What games do you plan on playing on a handheld that need a microphone? This thing won't play DS games - so whistling for your Nintendog is out, so is blowing out WarioWare's candles. And, unless this TINXL (or whatever it's called) thing actually happens - cussing out the n00bz you just pwned in your FPS is pretty much out, too.
You can't completely dismiss DS games, we don't know what's possible as far as DS emulation yet.

-God Ginrai

Plus there's Seaman on Dreamcast, if that ever gets playable. :lol:

jmetal88 said:
God Ginrai said:
chad78 said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

-God Ginrai

Plus there's Seaman on Dreamcast, if that ever gets playable. :lol:

I never quite understood that game.

-God Ginrai

anexanhume said:
emil10001 said:
I'd rather avoid bluetooth if possible. It's another 50+ dollars and another battery to change or re-charge.

The headphones I have (Moto HT-820) are only around $35, and I've heard the Moto S9's are floating around the same price. I would bet that headphones with controls like you're talking about wouldn't be much less expensive. The battery life on mine is excelent, I only charge them once or twice a week for two hours. They also charge via mini-usb, so you could have one charger for both headphones and pandora, and possibly cellphone. Plus the sound quality of A2DP is *much* better than the quality you get for a phone call with them.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Screw Seamen, Hey You! Pikachu is where it's at! :lol:
Your post could be misinterpreted so inappropriately.... -_-'

-God Ginrai

Back