July Videos And News

Kloplop321 said:
well I guess then: we need NEW renders :p
I'd like to see some evidence that there is a real live Pandora nearing completion. (Edited to make TaG happy).

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
(the nubs have moved down slightly).
Oh no it's sagging with age. :(

:lol:

As for what i'd like to to see, the finshed console + the GUI would be nice. :)

chad78 said:
Screw renders - we need f'ing VIDEOS of the REAL THING. Heck a few snapshots would be nice....

I would like to see less rage and more luuuurve... :p
Although I suspect what Chad really means is 'I'd like to see some evidence that there is a real live Pandora nearing completion'. As I said before, I only want devs to spend time taking pictures and videos if there is no development tasks to be done. So if they could wrap it all up by the end of the weekend and videos on Monday, pre-orders on Tuesday..... :lol:

(if devs read this - only joking, you do what you gotta do to get it right, you can have til next weekend ;) )

craigix said:
Sorry for it being a slow month, we are working on the nubs issue (yeah it has caused a delay) and might post a very slightly redesigned pandora soon (the nubs have moved down slightly).

We have also decided on a final AV port which has line output AND input.
Is this a design decision promted by the construction of the nubs or something else? I think ergonomically it would be a good idea to move them down anyway. Because wouldn't your thumbs naturally move down lower when you move them inwards to reach the nubs?

Great to hear about the AV port btw. Line input is great! :)

As for news...I'm really eager to see some pictures of the final case design... Pandora prawn!

Cool that the kinks are being worked out, but I hope these delays don't go past August/early September. I literally won't wait that long; Pandora kicks ass, but not that much ass. :lol: Maybe I'll just wait for the second production round.

This nub issue has shown that taking our time is the best approach - if we had had the moulds made up and then found out about the discontinued part we would have lost 10s of thousands of dollars.

There are already photos of the rapid prototype cases on here. You don't get the final cases until the very end of the process.

craigix said:
Sorry for it being a slow month, we are working on the nubs issue (yeah it has caused a delay) and might post a very slightly redesigned pandora soon (the nubs have moved down slightly).

We have also decided on a final AV port which has line output AND input.
Can you please clarify what you mean by the AV port output and input? As a budding audiophile, does this mean the Pandora will have true audio line out?

Or are you talking about recording features as someone else mentioned?

craigix said:
This nub issue has shown that taking our time is the best approach - if we had had the moulds made up and then found out about the discontinued part we would have lost 10s of thousands of dollars.

There are already photos of the rapid prototype cases on here. You don't get the final cases until the very end of the process.
Bah. Logic has no meaning here! I want the final cases before they're finalized! :D

PolloLoco said:
Can you please clarify what you mean by the AV port output and input? As a budding audiophile, does this mean the Pandora will have true audio line out?

I think he means that it will be able to record and output audio through the AV port at line levels (without using the headphone port's amplifier, for the uninitiated).

atomicthumbs said:
craigix said:

Bah. Logic has no meaning here! I want the final cases before they're finalized! :D

PolloLoco said:

I think he means that it will be able to record and output audio through the AV port at line levels (without using the headphone port's amplifier, for the uninitiated).

I HOPE that's what he meant, but wanted him to clarify. That, imo, would make this the ultimate media player. It would then hit all of the features I've been shopping for in a new dap. So this would kill more than a few birds with one stone for me.

I wouldn't mind seeing a port of Secret Maryo Chronicles running on it (if someone's on it?). The clean graphics would look nice IMO and the touch screen should be fun in the editor.

Anything with good graphics and fast game play would be nice, just to judge what's possible on the system itself.
Nexuiz would be good for that. My laptops got crappy graphics and it chokes on that game, so seeing what's possible with the Pandora's hardware would be pretty interesting :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a port of Secret Maryo Chronicles running on it (if someone's on it?). The clean graphics would look nice IMO and the touch screen should be fun in the editor.

Anything with good graphics and fast game play would be nice, just to judge what's possible on the system itself.
Nexuiz would be good for that. My laptops got crappy graphics and it chokes on that game, so seeing what's possible with the Pandora's hardware would be pretty interesting :)
As far as games that no one has claimed they will port yet are concerned, I would like to see Crayon Physics Deluxe and Fez! ;) I think that if we could talk the devs for those two projects into porting them to the Pandora, they would fit the system perfectly. ^_^ (not to mention they would be smash hits)

-God Ginrai

Craig-- You decided to move the nubs down like in the comparison video someone posted of the replacement analog nub options. Does that mean that you decided to go with the nubs with less travel?

I was sort of alarmed that you guys didn't tell us what the tenative nub decision was when you made it. I think the community overwhelmingly voted in favor of more travel over the click sticks. Can you please elaborate?

Giskard1708 said:
Craig-- You decided to move the nubs down like in the comparison video someone posted of the replacement analog nub options. Does that mean that you decided to go with the nubs with less travel?

I was sort of alarmed that you guys didn't tell us what the tenative nub decision was when you made it. I think the community overwhelmingly voted in favor of more travel over the click sticks. Can you please elaborate?

Both of the options voted on had less travel than the original nub. IIRC, the original had 2.5mm, and the two choices were 2mm and 1mm.

We went with having a custom nub made, it has good travel, very similar to the original nub actually but no metal this time.

craigix said:
We went with having a custom nub made, it has good travel, very similar to the original nub actually but no metal this time.
Hah! You just made my day. What's the travel on that if you don't mind me asking?

That certainly seems to be good news. When it was first posted that the original nub was not going to be produced, I thought it was said that a custom nub would take an extra 5 or 6 months. If the nub is the reason perorders have been pushed back to August, it's really only a very minor inconvenience. Along with the addition of line out, this removes my only grievance with the Pandora, which was a minor one anyway.

I would, however, like to know if the new nub has click functionality. Also, assuming the custom nub has already been made or there are prototypes available, could usage of the nub perhaps be featured in one of the July videos? (Oh, hey, we're back to the original topic :p).

So after all they *didn't* go with the 2mm travel, non-click nubs?

Personally, I'm glad those metal rings are gone, if only temporarily;
I'd constantly be wiping smudges off of them. :(

craigix said:
I love it. Half one in the morning and you just quietly slip that one in....
Nice to hear though, and I look forward to a few more details. Does that mean it might also be clickable?

Back