Just a quick status report video

I don't believe this applies to the Pyra in the first place (portable computers or laptops are not listed for example), but it's also worth noting this part of the proposal

probably excludes the Pyra as it's technically already on the market.

When in the past a requirement like this happened for mobile phones, Apple still kept their port and just sold an external adapter.

I dont think its getting applied yet, also it has to get put in national laws which is also a quite long procedure,
also: There are still a lot of Iphones in stock whit Lightning, they wouldnt put them from the shelf, send them back to China to charge the Charging Ports, as they are allready in produktion i think they can stay Lightning..
Also the Pyra is save as the Main PCB is allready developed whit Micro USB, so even whit a future CPU Board whe dont need to change the Charging Port.. at least i hope so..

Are theyre unusable? most of the Chargers are just Wallplugs who take the 230 V and give 5V through a USBA Port, so you need just a USBA to USBC Cable, and you could use the Charger you got whit your Iphone whit Lightning Port to charge an Iphone whit USBC Port..

I use my Switch Charger also for my True Wireless Headphones and for my Flashlight.. ,

In my Cable Headphone and Charging Cable Case, i have a Apple Watch Charging Cable (Dedicatet), a Micro USB Cable, and an Micro USB to USB C Adapter, as well as a Short Iphone Lightning to USBA Cable.. , and i could charge anything , Pyra, Iphone, Watch, Headphones, Flashlight, only for the GBA SP and the 2DS i would need dedicated Cables..

No need to worry

"It may be a number of years before the proposals come into effect.
The legislative proposal, known as a Directive, will be debated by the European Parliament and national governments.
MEPs and member states may suggest amendments to the proposal. Only once the EC has agreed these amendments, will the directive be enacted.
The EC hopes that will happen in 2022 - after which member states usually have two years to enact the rules into national law, and manufacturers will have 24 months to change their charging ports.
"We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions," Commission Vice President Margrethe Vestager said."

But the Plan for the Pyra was that there is no more need for making a new Mainboard, as this only contains things that dont need to change,
So the Pyra can last a lot of years, just need a new CPU Board but the Ports should be the same , at least when i understand the Conzept Correctly..

Would this law make it needfull that they have to make a USB C Mainboard??

I'm not in the EU, but isn't the law aimed to stop proprietary connectors? If so, I would think barrel and old USB would still be permitted anyway.

Thinking of that, I kinda miss barrel connectors. Unless they were stupid small, they were pretty robust, and I could plug them in any which way. Even USB-C fails at that... I mean, two directions (usually anyway) is nice, but any direction is much better.

No need to worry
Unfortunately it's not really about the time it takes, but the principle. I get what they're trying to do, but the approach is totally wrong imho. Better would be to ban proprietary connectors.
Post automatically merged:

I'm not in the EU, but isn't the law aimed to stop proprietary connectors
That would make more sense.

No need to worry

"It may be a number of years before the proposals come into effect.
The legislative proposal, known as a Directive, will be debated by the European Parliament and national governments.
MEPs and member states may suggest amendments to the proposal. Only once the EC has agreed these amendments, will the directive be enacted.
The EC hopes that will happen in 2022 - after which member states usually have two years to enact the rules into national law, and manufacturers will have 24 months to change their charging ports.
"We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions," Commission Vice President Margrethe Vestager said."
Ah, sorry for the noise. Then it's only a directive proposal by now. I either misread the ArsTechnica article or shouldn't be reading US coverage of EU legislation to begin with. If it's going to have any effect it will be after five years and it can have been twisted a thousand times until then. I take it back.

shouldn't be reading US coverage of EU legislation to begin with
Even EU-level coverage is no guarantee of accuracy; after all the UK used to be a member and look at all the shit they published before they left (and continue to do even afterwards)!

Derail over lol

But the Plan for the Pyra was that there is no more need for making a new Mainboard, as this only contains things that dont need to change,
We need a new main board for the newer universal phone modem chip. I'm not sure if this USB-C directive mandates the need to be able to accept 20VDC, or perhaps the signalling to the charger to only power 5VDC is easy.

Im fine whit my OLD Mobile Ship, one swipe on my IPhone and I have Mobile Accespoint ; and whit my Micro USB Charger..

islander how long it would take to recharge your Tesla whit USB C ^^
There is a lot power going through USB C: last time I used my USB A Powerbank to drive my Switch, and it got quite warm ..

Back