Release KAMI RETRO [update/fix] commercial release

First of all, wow I am very happy with all the positive feedback everyone has given. We anticipated maybe getting a single sale in the first day or two, maybe getting up to 10-20 over the following weeks, but it has actually done that overnight!

A deserved success! With any luck the Pandora user-base will grow enough to really make such commercial endeavours viable.

Thanks Steve. Yes it indeed seems to run great thanks again!.

@Evildragon, I can't say I've noticed any issue with the control. Other than I am not very good at it yet when the game gets busier.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Evildragon, I can't say I've noticed any issue with the control. Other than I am not very good at it yet when the game gets busier.

Then that's probably my issue as well :D

Just was wondering why even the tutorial failed to let the little guy jump :)

Will take a video when I find the time :)

I just bought the game. I like the simplicity of the Pandora repo. No DRM and no bullshit.

I am wandering how many sale you will managed to get. Obviously the Pandora is a small market. I saw there are 22 download but that seem to include people who downloaded multiple times.

@pmprog we are not actively recruiting, although if you are based in the North West you should check out GameDevNorth (Google for it) we help run/promote a lot of the sessions

@Farox it sounds like the_marshal has managed to purchase via PayPal, so hopefully it was a temporary glitch which is now resolved

@the_marshal 1. We considered using DRM (requiring users to send an ID from their Pandora or SD card), however I just felt like DRM just ends up hurting the legitimate users, the very same users that are kind enough to spend their hard earned money on our software. 2. I believe we have had 20 purchases confirm from PayPal, so about £40. I am not expecting the sales to come close to helping pay for the development costs of KAMI RETRO, however there is a chance it may one day pay for the porting costs to the Pandora (say it took 1-2 weeks to port, say 70 hours, that is £425.60 at minimum wage, which is 214 sales on Pandora - quite a large number, but not completely impossible!)

@pmprog we are not actively recruiting, although if you are based in the North West you should check out GameDevNorth (Google for it) we help run/promote a lot of the sessions
Worth a shot :)

Thanks for the heads up on GDN. Something on in October, hmmmm... Nephew's birthday that day. We'll see. It'll be good to meet up with some game devs though.

another tentative ...but same result...paypal site is not accessible (at least from my pc) i didn't reach to access my account on Paypal....

I think it's not a problem with the repo...is Paypal...

I'll retry tomorrow .

however there is a chance it may one day pay for the porting costs to the Pandora (say it took 1-2 weeks to port, say 70 hours, that is £425.60 at minimum wage, which is 214 sales on Pandora - quite a large number, but not completely impossible!)

Yeah, you never know about the "long tail". Currently your game is insured a very visible place in the "best rated" apps on the right, with a first place so that will maximize exposure at least for a while!

I will get your game because:

- you care about users who hate DRMs, and that makes you a good person in my book

- you tried to support the Pandora even though you may not make your money back, so I want to support that as well so that we can hope for more commercial software in the future. We need to send a signal that we are interested in paid software.

- it seems to be a very decent game altogether :)

The game is gesture driven, in other words you use the stylus to swipe the screen. You tap on the green entrance to release the KAMI soldiers, then swipe them up (to jump) or left/right (to change direction) with the goal of getting them to the red exit. There are various components to help you on your way (fans, springs, bounce pads, levers, etc.) but also various components that will need to be avoided! I know it seems a shame not to use the excellent controls offered by the Pandora, but as you progress through this game, you end up having to control multiple KAMI soldiers at once and it isn't a system which lends itself well to nubs, DPAD or keyboard.

I know it's a port from other touch-screen systems, but this prevents me from buying it - touchscreen use on the pandora is an abortion due to the clamshell shape. Sorry, but I for one will not buy a game that requires a touchscreen. Fingerprints and usability really turns me off.

Best of luck with your efforts though.

D.

Just Purchased this game :) ,

i have now 3 komerzial native games on the Pandora:

Kami Retro,

Auroa Rift,

and Payback as GP2X Version running whit Ginge..

I know it's a port from other touch-screen systems, but this prevents me from buying it - touchscreen use on the pandora is an abortion due to the clamshell shape. Sorry, but I for one will not buy a game that requires a touchscreen. Fingerprints and usability really turns me off.

Well, it would be neat to be able to use the DPad and buttons to play the game... press UP to jump, LEFT or RIGHT to move.

As you can have multiple characters on screen sometimes, maybe use the Buttons to select the character to control, so A + UP = First Character Jumps, X + LEFT = Second Character to Left, etc.

That would be a neat addition to the Pandora port, shouldn't be too hard to be implemented as well...as I'm also not a fan of touchbased controls :)

I'd agree with the addition of proper HW game controls - On Pandora we have excellent gaming buttons,and it's a shame not to use them!

Also I try to support the commerical release for Pandora(When they don't cripple it with DRM) so good call on the no DRM descision. I will be making a purchase in due course! ;)

Now, that i downloadet it succesfull, i playd a bit, and its a realy cool game, it reminds me a bit on Mario vs Donkey Kong on the DS, or Lemmings, and has a cool design :)

Im Happy to bought it :)

I also Bought Aurora Rift, i hope it isnt that bad as everyone says..

Back