Keep Track Of The Latest Pandora Development!

foxblock said:
Many thanks!

I see you also included twitter, could you add some small icons or a single char indicating where the extracts are from (twitter, forum, etc.)?

Also I really like the new timeline-based layout!

foxblock out

Yep, the old version choked on something and died sometime today, so I switched over to the new version I've been rewriting. No more half-finished pages going up!

As for the RSS feed, I could pretty easily add it now, but I'm not sure I want to ... it completely kills the fun of checking - believe me, I tried ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alec  said:
foxblock said:
Many thanks!

I see you also included twitter, could you add some small icons or a single char indicating where the extracts are from (twitter, forum, etc.)?

Also I really like the new timeline-based layout!

foxblock out

Yep, the old version choked on something and died sometime today, so I switched over to the new version I've been rewriting. No more half-finished pages going up!

As for the RSS feed, I could pretty easily add it now, but I'm not sure I want to ... it completely kills the fun of checking - believe me, I tried ;)

Hey, if you find you have some extra time, maybe allowing a way to filter results by devs? (checkboxes, so you could have multiple devs at a time) That way, you could scrape for more devs, and choose who you are currently wondering about. ;) Obviously this is something that you should implement only if you are looking for something to do, I have no wish to give you more work. ;)

-God Ginrai

Thanks Alec, now i can stalk all the devs from one handy tab B)

ps. You had better do as God Ginrai requests or things could get nasty. God G is a mighty smiter :unsure:

What the hell is this supposed to do?

I click the link it flashes the screen quickly then just displays a blank page with "untitled1" at the top. :blink:

It's supposed to show the latest developer posts/tweets, like this-

rsvuqx.jpg

Not sure why it wouldn't work for you... :huh:

Attachments

• rsvuqx.jpg
    rsvuqx.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 106
DaveC said:

I click the link it flashes the screen quickly then just displays a blank page with "untitled1" at the top. :blink:

Strange... What Browser/OS do you use?

Alec  said:
DaveC said:

Strange... What Browser/OS do you use?

Unless IE's handling of stylesheets is ready to surprise me again, the script must've just glitched for a bit.

But then again, IE tends to surprise me every time I ever work on any stylesheet.

I experienced this same thing on a public computer running IE. It shows nothing, just the untitled header.

<unbearably smug> I'm running LINUX and FIREFOX.......... works fine for me, get yourself a proper OS B) :p

benji_stein said:
I experienced this same thing on a public computer running IE. It shows nothing, just the untitled header.

hobbyman II said:
<unbearably smug> I'm running LINUX and FIREFOX.......... works fine for me, get yourself a proper OS B) :p

Did you misread my statement? (Ephasis added later). My computer at home works just fine, thanks.

ak! real enthusiasts would use a livedisk on a public computer :p

the comment was aimed (in a comedic sense) more at davec and quadomatic, you where just collateral damage :D

it's not my fault MS can't render webpages properly ;)

it's called "humour" (or at least, that's how I intended it) , hence the "unbearably smug" prefix and the smileys, maybe something was lost in translation?, (I KNOW! IE failed to render the smileys :lol: )

seriously, it wasn't a dig at any one, just a "Linux zealot" based humour snippet, it was was meant to amuse, not offend, sorry :(

hobbyman II said:
ak! real enthusiasts would use a livedisk on a public computer :p

the comment was aimed (in a comedic sense) more at davec and quadomatic, you where just collateral damage :D

it's not my fault MS can't render webpages properly ;)

it's called "humour" (or at least, that's how I intended it) , hence the "unbearably smug" prefix and the smileys, maybe something was lost in translation?, (I KNOW! IE failed to render the smileys :lol: )

seriously, it wasn't a dig at any one, just a "Linux zealot" based humour snippet, it was was meant to amuse, not offend, sorry :(

That's fair. No offense taken. I was more throwing in another data point, and that it wasn't a temporary problem.
I agree Linux is great, but some people need to use Windows for various reasons (work, specific programs, whatever).
You're probably right that I should have read it more lightly. Long day.

Alec  said:
benji_stein said:

Wow. Even Lynx can render it properly. Was it IE6 (I hope)?
It was IE 8. It still doesn't work on that as of now.

Everything else on the net works with IE, not sure what kind of funny stuff this is doing.

Alec  said:
Wasn't IE8 supposed to be more standards-compliant? :blink:

Could you check if any of my other pages work? Try this one: http://alec.mooo.com/xcompose.php

Sure enough IE8 seems to have issue with that page.. on first glance it seems like a Javascript quirk, I know IE doesn't always behaves the same as Firefox or any other browser.. However I can't pin point anything that would directly cause it.

The other page you link seems to work fine.

In that case, it probably has something to do with this because it's the only script that's on this page only:

Code:
<h1>Pandora Log <small>- updated on <span id="updated_date">Apr 03 2010 14:00:07 GMT</span><span id="time_ago"/></small></h1>
Code:
window.onload=function(){
  var sec=Math.floor((new Date().getTime() - new Date(document.getElementById('updated_date').innerHTML)) / 1000)
  document.getElementById('time_ago').innerHTML=" ("+
    (sec < 60? sec + " seconds"
    :sec < 3600? Math.floor(sec/60) + " minutes"
    :sec < 86400? Math.floor(sec/3600) + " hours"
    :Math.floor(sec/86400) + " days")
    +" ago)"
}

If anyone has any idea of what I can change to make this work on IE, I'll change it.

Alec  said:
In that case, it probably has something to do with this because it's the only script that's on this page only:

Code:
<h1>Pandora Log <small>- updated on <span id="updated_date">Apr 03 2010 14:00:07 GMT</span><span id="time_ago"/></small></h1>
Code:
  var sec=Math.floor((new Date().getTime() - new Date(document.getElementById('updated_date').innerHTML)) / 1000)
    +" ago)"
}

If anyone has any idea of what I can change to make this work on IE, I'll change it.

on a quick Google search I found it may be the window.onload it doesn't seem to be playing nice with IE8..

Alec  said:

Code:
Code:
    +" ago)"
}

Disclaimer: I don't actually have access to IE at the moment, so these are just suggestions.
  1. Try to expand your "<span/>"s even though they're empty... you never know with IE
  2. It's good that you try to be XHTML compliant and use "/*<[CDATA[*/...", but the way you use it right now might cause problems, because XHTML-compliant browsers will see an unmatched close-comment tag (some don't merge the "/*" text node and the CDATA node). I personally recommend that you do "//<[CDATA[\n..." instead.
  3. The use of "<center>" is deprecated... but probably not in IE
  4. You don't use "getTime()" on the second Date object
  5. You don't use semicolons, but the open-paren before the time "select chain" should save you in this case. But still...

About the IE8 onload issue: the SO post says that it was caused by an IE addon, so it shouldn't be that... "window.onload" is essential to most web pages that I know of so...

Back