Keep Track Of The Latest Pandora Development!

Good work Trooper. :) I've linked it on Pandorapress once (within a post), and I considered putting a permalink up but something doesn't feel right about it. I think OPT must feel stalked enough, with every post already being aggregated and launched upon by the forum masses. Add another couple of thousand people to the feed, people who don't generally hang around the forums for the full context, and we may end up seeing even less posts from OPT. I don't think I'd like it if all my posts were listed that way.

How about a super secret invisible link in the sidebar? :ph34r:

Gruso said:
Add another couple of thousand people to the feed, people who don't generally hang around the forums for the full context, and we may end up seeing even less posts from OPT. I don't think I'd like it if all my posts were listed that way.

Great point, Gruso -- I hadn't thought about it that way. This sticky should be sufficient, I think. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
I decided to add the super secret invisible link. :) Go to the Links page (More...), it's at the bottom underneath the last.fm link, to the far left. Shhh!

Hahaha, that's pretty great. Took me a minute to find it; doubt anyone will ever find that without actually knowing it's there.

absolofdoom said:
Gruso said:
I decided to add the super secret invisible link. :) Go to the Links page (More...), it's at the bottom underneath the last.fm link, to the far left. Shhh!

Hahaha, that's pretty great. Took me a minute to find it; doubt anyone will ever find that without actually knowing it's there.

That's the point of it, isn't it? If you forget the url, you know where to look ;)

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums,

Didn't get any Pandora news in my rss reader over the past few days so I scraped this scraper and turned it into an RSS feed,

Version 1 here -> *link removed*

Source for version 1 here -> *link removed*

Got some code that includes the publish date for each item as well but working on tweaking it, will release when ready,

*UPDATED*

Version 2 here (includes pubDate) -> *link removed*

Source for version 2 here -> *link removed*

*UPDATE 2*
links removed

benced said:
so I scraped this scraper and turned it into an RSS feed,
Yo dawg, I heard you like feed scrapers...

I figure I should explain the main reason why I chose not include an RSS feed and why I am not really a fan of this...

The main motivation behind making the page is that finding the latest posts by OpenPandora Team on the forums is slow and awkward, so I wrote a this script to put all the results in one page along with the dates. So basically, it was the search page replacement.

After I put it up online, a lot of people asked for an RSS feed. I refused. The main difference between visiting a page and getting updates through RSS is that one is an active approach - actually going to the page to find some information, and the other one is passive - the RSS reader reports every single quip an OpenPandora Team member posted, less than 30 minutes after it was posted. So what I did instead is, I found all the RSS feeds and made my script fetch them, so that everything is in one place.

The reason is I think this kind of... erm... stalking is just a bit too far. If the OPT wants to share information with the world, they post it to tweeter or the official blog. If people want the kind of information that my script aggregates, they should at least actively look for it: of all the people stumbled onto my page, less than 1/10 actually visit it each day.

Gruso pretty much nails the implications on the head:

Gruso said:
I've linked it on Pandorapress once (within a post), and I considered putting a permalink up but something doesn't feel right about it. I think OPT must feel stalked enough, with every post already being aggregated and launched upon by the forum masses. Add another couple of thousand people to the feed, people who don't generally hang around the forums for the full context, and we may end up seeing even less posts from OPT. I don't think I'd like it if all my posts were listed that way.
So I'd really prefer it if my scraper were not scraped.

Alec

Alec  said:
I figure I should explain the main reason why I chose not include an RSS feed and why I am not really a fan of this...

The main motivation behind making the page is that finding the latest posts by OpenPandora Team on the forums is slow and awkward, so I wrote a this script to put all the results in one page along with the dates. So basically, it was the search page replacement.

After I put it up online, a lot of people asked for an RSS feed. I refused. The main difference between visiting a page and getting updates through RSS is that one is an active approach - actually going to the page to find some information, and the other one is passive - the RSS reader reports every single quip an OpenPandora Team member posted, less than 30 minutes after it was posted. So what I did instead is, I found all the RSS feeds and made my script fetch them, so that everything is in one place.

The reason is I think this kind of... erm... stalking is just a bit too far. If the OPT wants to share information with the world, they post it to tweeter or the official blog. If people want the kind of information that my script aggregates, they should at least actively look for it: of all the people stumbled onto my page, less than 1/10 actually visit it each day.

Gruso pretty much nails the implications on the head:

Gruso said:
I've linked it on Pandorapress once (within a post), and I considered putting a permalink up but something doesn't feel right about it. I think OPT must feel stalked enough, with every post already being aggregated and launched upon by the forum masses. Add another couple of thousand people to the feed, people who don't generally hang around the forums for the full context, and we may end up seeing even less posts from OPT. I don't think I'd like it if all my posts were listed that way.
So I'd really prefer it if my scraper were not scraped.

Alec

k, my bad, site nuked...

I thought you might have had some objections bandwidth wise or something...

benced said:
k, my bad, site nuked...

I thought you might have had some objections bandwidth wise or something...

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Sorry to be a party pooper... :(

Seems links to Pandora Press links seem to be broke... there is an extra slash automatically added that seems to break things..

For example.
http://pandorapress.net/2010/05/04/pickup-on-the-7th/ - doesn't work
http://pandorapress.net/2010/05/04/pickup-on-the-7th -works.

Links to PandoraPress haven't been working for awhile, and it has something to do with having Alec's site in the referrer. If you just click the address bar and hit enter after you are on the 403 page, it will load.

Defo said:
Links to PandoraPress haven't been working for awhile, and it has something to do with having Alec's site in the referrer. If you just click the address bar and hit enter after you are on the 403 page, it will load.

odd I figured it was the slash until I clicked on my links..

It's on PandoraPress's side, so I can't really do anything. Atomicthumbs knows about it, but I haven't heard anything from him.

The only two solutions I could think of are to switch to a different domain (which I won't do), or transfer the link through one of those shady redirect sites that strip referrers, which I'm reluctant to use.

If any of you have a better idea, I'd be happy to hear it :)

Back