Korea & Its Big-Ass Smartphones

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
I just returned from a quick trip to South Korea, and I noticed that the Smartphone market is actually quite different there. 

--> Continue Reading

promokorea.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh can't get to PandoraLive now to read this article.  It says the site is not available.

I loved your article, thank you for writing it :) . I like the blog and the even the non pandora stuff is very interessting :) .

Off topic:  Sad to see N. Koreans are living in deep shit while S. Koreans are living a dream life.  Amazing how Kim Jung Ill & Son have managed to destroy North Korea so bad :(

Sad to see N. Koreans are living in deep shit while S. Koreans are living a dream life.
Yeah, very sad. But at this stage, I'm not even sure North Koreans even know what they are missing. They are so isolated, with no way of knowing what's happening outside of their country. That's how you can keep the regime going.

I loved your article, thank you for writing it :) . I like the blog and the even the non pandora stuff is very interessting :) .
Thanks, more stuff like that coming from time to time :) Too bad the server has hiccups today...

Sad to see N. Koreans are living in deep shit while S. Koreans are living a dream life.
Yeah, very sad. But at this stage, I'm not even sure North Koreans even know what they are missing. They are so isolated, with no way of knowing what's happening outside of their country. That's how you can keep the regime going.
10 years ago, yes. Nowadays, a lot of them, especially those in the north and in bigger cities (esp. in Pyongyang) receive outside information via smuggled in radios, DVDs, phones. I recommend watching Frontlines North Korea documentary , you can find it easily on the most popular torrent website there is (or stream legally in the US, just google it). Why is there no uprising? Because denunciators are everywhere, and if you're caught with any subversive activity (such as watching a South Korean soap in your home or owning a cracked phone), you and your entire family will be sent to a labour / extermination / concentration camp - if you cant bribe your way out, that is.

I understand the border between N Korea and China is relatively porous, at least where the river is crossable, and there's a lot of stuff that crosses the border. Half the traders along the border have phones on the Chinese networks, so they can place orders.

I understand the border between N Korea and China is relatively porous, at least where the river is crossable, and there's a lot of stuff that crosses the border. Half the traders along the border have phones on the Chinese networks, so they can place orders.
Between North Korea and China, yes... that's where usually the northern korean escape. 

Between the two Koreas, it's a very different thing: the DMZ is heavily guarded on both sides (there are 2 million North korean soldiers on the northern side, on the border line) so I don't think you can cross easily from north to south. At some point the NK army has been digging tunnels to make it easier to go through the defenses, until they were discovered. People who try to cross the border without authorization are shot on sight. The border between the two countries is full of landmines. One would be crazy to try to walk and cross by themselves. 

S. Korea is also rich enough to afford their own army. Why the US insists on stationing their own troops there?

S. Korea is also rich enough to afford their own army. Why the US insists on stationing their own troops there?
Erm... if there's a war between S.Korea and N.Korea, you know what;s going to happen right ? China will jump in. And if China jumps in, you need a counter power to prevent the total invasion of S.Korea. So yeah, you need US troops on the ground.  

Heh, wasn't this the same thing the US did during the war between north and south Vietnam?  They afraid the Viet Cong would take over the South and China and Communism  would spead through Vietnam and then perhaps the rest of Asia just to find out it was a mistake and pulled US troops out, but the damage had already been done - many many American troops die for nothing.  Anyway, any war is not good and if US presence there can prevent that then it's worthy for them to be there I guess.

What is that spherical lumpy glass looking building in the last pic?

I love 'fun architecture'; really, architects are artists, but at least in the West, they'r subjugated into non-eistance.. builders just want to knock out more of the same, minimize cost, maximize output, and take no joy in their work; it seems we had 30 years of shit buildings.. but theres a slight change the lat few years.. some pride.

I've been crying for 15 years.. where are the gargoyles? By which I mean.. where is the pride in both workmanship and design, that was evident in centuries past?

But sure looks like some crazy awesome stuff in the East...

jeff

What is that spherical lumpy glass looking building in the last pic?
Subway entrance, it is :)

They are not all like that in Seoul, just in Gangnam, which is a hipster town/quarter for rich people. You see only BMW and big Hyundai sports cars there. Hence the now famous "Gangnam style"... :)

It looks a little bit like a toilet on the end of the Strand.

Well, I'm not sure it looked like that when it was a toilet, but now it's a cocktail bar, so...

Back