LCD?

itami

Still Fresh
I recieved my 1Ghz yesterday and the first thing what I noticed was that the LCD was different and when comparing with my other Pandora (256) I saw that the colors were better. The colors from the 256 looks more blue comparing to the 1Ghz LCD or the 1Ghz looks more white comparing to the 256 LCD.

The other thing is, wich is really a bad thing the 1Ghz is not as bright as the 256 LCD. I hardly could see anything when I was outside in the sun, but with the 256 is was still clear.

Is the brightnes a hardware limitation or is this fixable with a software patch?

have the 512 model and no matter the settings i could hardly see anything good thing i almost never use it in the sun

Did you play with the gammasettings? The first thing I do hen reinstalling the firmware is to set the tvgammasetting.

No, I did not touch the gamma settings. It's really the backlight that is not as bright as the one from my older Pandora.

Is there a different LCD in the 1ghz units compared to the rebirth models? I've a 256mb model, sometImes the ghosting on that can be a little distracting(SWOS I'm looking at you for example!), it'd be nice if this was improved for newer models!

The LCD is exactly the same, but as they've been ordered four years later, production might've changed a bit.

Companies change and optimize stuff all the time, that's why huge companies buy all their components at once (not possible for us, of course).

If the colors are better: Great.

Never use full brightness. It's no problem for me then. (When I'll get a GH Pandora)

Did anyone else notice that?

I am having a hard time too in daylight.

Hopefully it can be fixed software wise, otherwise not a big deal, its mostly winter in the Netherlands :)

The LCD is exactly the same, but as they've been ordered four years later, production might've changed a bit.

Companies change and optimize stuff all the time, that's why huge companies buy all their components at once (not possible for us, of course).

Strange they optimised in such a way that things actually become less visible.

But again, not a big deal, but for future pandora's it may be better to inquire if its possible to make the lcd's more like the older pandora;s

Almost everything looks good on the panda, but dark games like Quake 2 are sadly unplayable.

Could it be a software thing?

Maybe the current firmware doesnt push the brightness up to 100%, even tho the OS does claim its at 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try to change the Gamma Settings?

If it's too dark, it can most probably be fixed with the Gamma Editor :)

Did you try to change the Gamma Settings?

If it's too dark, it can most probably be fixed with the Gamma Editor :)

Not yet, any recommendation how i should set it?

Currently installing windows 95, i feel like leaving the panda alone now :)

Cant wait to try those golden oldies on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the ps vita is the same very hard to see whats happening in daylight on the screen.the screen looks good to me on my 1ghz pandy though colours etc

From the videos you can clearly see, that the screen of the ghz unit has more fluid colors and has a warmer colortemperature at default settings. I think that is a nice improvement :)

From the videos you can clearly see, that the screen of the ghz unit has more fluid colors and has a warmer colortemperature at default settings. I think that is a nice improvement :)

The colors are indeed great :)

I rarely use my pandora outdoors so im yet to experiernce this. But just wondering if some people are having an issue viewing the screen because of the glare created by the sun, would buying a small piece of anti-glare film of the internet for pennys and cutting it to fit the pandoras screen and attaching it with some small blobs of blue tack or something of that description which is not permenant to the 2mil groove which runs around the screen and turning up the screen brightness. In theory this should make the screen more visable when outside, will be a cheep solution and wont leave you with a permenantly darkened screen when indoors, and shouldnt leave takky sticky marks on the screen.

I rarely use my pandora outdoors so im yet to experiernce this. But just wondering if some people are having an issue viewing the screen because of the glare created by the sun, would buying a small piece of anti-glare film of the internet for pennys and cutting it to fit the pandoras screen and attaching it with some small blobs of blue tack or something of that description which is not permenant to the 2mil groove which runs around the screen and turning up the screen brightness. In theory this should make the screen more visable when outside, will be a cheep solution and wont leave you with a permenantly darkened screen when indoors, and shouldnt leave takky sticky marks on the screen.

Tnx for the tip, il consider it :)

The colors are indeed great :)

I hope this improvement will last until I have my 1GHz unit.

There's one fact I can't say often enough: Pandora's screen in sunlight is much better than PSP's or 3DS's screen and that's the only comparison I have. It's also much more eye friendly. PSP or 3DS always ends with a headahe :)

I'd welcome a darker screen.

Itami, if you don't like your Pandora I'd take it :p . Else I have to wait until the first 150 are shipped.

The 600mhz pandora has problems in full daylight as well

Not with proper Gamma settings :)

I stole that idea from the N900 which is very visible in bright daylight and created an outdoor gamma setting which I used to play PSX when I was out at the beach.

Worked perfectly :)

I'll include this in the next minor firmware update (coming tonight).

Back