Let there be light!

Good job. Next challenge: Brightening/dimming the LCD backlight and setting up various bit-depths (16, 32 bpp)

Yaay! That's what I call a milestone. Can we use the donate button to offer you both a beer?

Reactions: szr
For my not-so-glorious return to the boards, I'd like to give everyone my sincere gratitude for keeping the Pandora project going! Without members like (I realize the capitalization is wrong, before you mention it) WB, Ptitseb, Canseco, Ekianjo, Michael "EvilDragon" and others, our community would have fizzled long ago. I extend my arms to hug all of you, and wish you the best of success as we make the Pyra even better! 

Ekianjo: Your Pandora Live website is a tremendous asset to the project, and I've learned a lot from it. Thank you for creating the website after Pandora Press fell off the wayside!

Michael: I must say that you are a very swell guy! You've taken the bull by its horns and tamed it, keeping us together in times of volcanos, exploding vans, shady car salesmen, purple haze, and another board member who we all know, but who I'm not going to mention. You have donated countless hours and euros ensuring that production goes smoothly, as well as rapidly responding to inquiries. Dragons really are powerful beings; and I commend you for juggling a day job, the Dragon Box shop, and the Open Pandora project.

Paul Cinquevalli would be proud of your juggling :)

The coders and porters: Thank you for shattering all expectations and making tremendous strides showing off the Pandora's capabilities (and for keeping the original Port Requests thread going, :p ) I have some events and songs in the works, a monthly magazine to produce, and a series of children's educational projects, so I don't have much time to game. I'm still impressed! We have Cataclysm Roguelike, Free Space, Jedi Knight, Smokin' Guns, Open Arena, World of Pad Man, Libre Office, GIMP, Blender, Code Blocks, Firefox, and others to show it off! We also have PPSPP, REICAST, Mupen64 2.0, and DraStic which is marvellous! I don't use the emulators, but you have proven that anything is possible with coding trickery and some optimisation!

Thanks again for everything, and here's a toast to everyone here!

Cheers!

-Mike

PS: I'd just like to say that I read the boards nearly every day, but haven't posted in what seems to be forever!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed, does this screen already have the resistive touch layer on it?

If not, then you might want to get your hands on a sample screen that does come with the resistive layer, to see what the image quality will be like. It could well be that the image quality will suffer, so you might want to check if it does, and by how much.

Ed, does this screen already have the resistive touch layer on it?

If not, then you might want to get your hands on a sample screen that does come with the resistive layer, to see what the image quality will be like. It could well be that the image quality will suffer, so you might want to check if it does, and by how much.
No, the touchscreen will be produced according to our own wishes, we'll probably get samples in a few weeks.

Why shall there be a resistive touchscreen?

A capacitive one would be easier to use (and yes, there are even styluses for capacitive touchscreens).

Why shall there be a resistive touchscreen? A capacitive one would be easier to use (and yes, there are even styluses for capacitive touchscreens).

Here we go again..

There is a big misunderstanding that capacitive is superior.. For one Capacitive is less accurate, phone and tablet gui's are designed to work around this, we're using a native Linux desktop which isn't geared for finger use. The Capacitive styluses that are passive are still huge and just as accurate as a finger, the active styluses that are accurate with capacitive screens use watcom technology which would cost a fortune to license.

Why shall there be a resistive touchscreen?

A capacitive one would be easier to use (and yes, there are even styluses for capacitive touchscreens).
Not again!

We already discussed this topic to death:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/6714-capacitive-or-resistive-touch-for-the-next-gen-pandora/

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15590-needs-better-touchscreen/

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15278-pyra-screen-options/

Summary: Resistive is more accurate and has less latency. The multi-touch needed for gestures like pinch-to-zoom can be "faked". We don't need "real" multi-touch since we already have physical controls. All in all there are no real advantages to capacitive for our purposes, only disadvantages. There is a reason why gaming handhelds like the DS and 3DS use resistive touch. Also, if we want to use a normal desktop GUI, we really need the accuracy.

Apparently, it was probably PLANNED to be the screen used to be in the Nexus 5... we recently got a Nexus 5 in our hands and it uses a different screen.

Maybe this one wasn't finished in time...?
GZ!  ^_^   Looks shiny! I hope it will be a non-glare screen at the end (I know the touchscreen layer is still missing at the pics). Oh, and out of curiousity, how would have been the chances to have this screen alive without these missing documents? Was this complex, weird stuff that nobody would be able to figure out or just some small missing hints?

For one Capacitive is less accurate
Anyone who uses a Pre3 would be able to prove this with PDK applications that weren't updated for the higher resolution screen that the Pre3 has. They take up only the top-left corner of the screen, and you have to be very careful to be able to actually get your button presses right. It sometimes takes me a couple of tries to mark the right spot with a flag in MineHX.

-God Ginrai

Nicholaus and ED, you are truly amazing people, thank you.  Just wanted to take the opportunity to say you are very appreciated.
Very much agreed. I am so glad I discovered all this (Pandora, Pyra, and this community.) Watching the development makes me feel like a child eagerly awaiting Christmas morning.  :)

Back