Linux Gp

i fully agree to don's opinion.

many ppl just don't see the work behind something and make it bad, which is very disappointing for a developer and also made the one or other already leaving the developer scene. first someone should do something for the gp32 scene then you are allowed to whine like a baby (alpha2, for example).

Max posted on May 25 2004 at 04:39 AM said:
Just curious, will KDE ever run on LinuxGP?
Not with 8 MB RAM. But there are many more window managers that will. You might possibly get KDE running with the 32 MB RAM upgrade. You have to remember you have multiple layers here, Kernel, X, Window Manager, Application, etc... and for a visual OS, 8 MB RAM is not that much. There are window managers designed specifically for linux PDA's and low spec hardware, these are possiblities (Like Opie), KDE, for the most part, isnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max posted on May 25 2004 at 11:39 AM said:
Just curious, will KDE ever run on LinuxGP?
No. It'll probably run Gnome well though.

(That was sarcasm :p )

I guess there's no reason why GUI stuff couldn't be developed, but things like X, KDE, Gnome etc are far beyond what I think is the scope of this project and the capability of the GP32. GPlinux has lots of potential for other things, some of which were covered well in the recent interview about it.

As other people have said, it's a proof of concept at the moment. If you're not interested in it, then don't worry about it.

barnesy posted on May 25 2004 at 05:01 AM said:
but things like X, KDE, Gnome etc are far beyond what I think is the scope of this project and the capability of the GP32.
How is X beyond the scope of this project? There are many versions of X that will run fine on the GP32, SmallX will run in under 4 MB (including the kernel and other layers). There isnt any reason X wont run on this once it gets to an operatable state.

SmallX: http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/tinyX01.html

Now imagine if you threw the 32 MB RAM upgrade in.

Anyone who is a product of the early 80s, can remember the times when PCs were way below the specs that GP32 is today, and we still managed to run dos (or windows), and many great games and software applications, all under 8 MB ram with under 100mhz system.

lizard808uk posted on May 25 2004 at 12:04 PM said:
I heard Robotics mentioned somewhere. I think its time to break out the lego! :)
I have vague memories of a sort of programmable lego technic. An interface between GP32 and lego would be the coolest thing ever! I realise that this is completely implausable and probably has some very obvious flaws, but I'm bored atm at it sounds like a wonderful toy!

The rest is NOT aimed at lizard808uk:

RE the linux debate: It's fair enough to ask what benefits GP32 users might gain from the project - a matter of simple curiosity. We're all excited that it might bring new fun things. That said, I agree that it's wrong to describe ANY project for the GP32 as a waste of time - at the most basic level, if it keeps the author happy then at least it has entertained one person! I am terrible at programming (learning C++), but still love churning out little games / projects just for the intellectual challenge. The guys working on GPlinux are on a completely different plane to me, obviously, but I imagine the principle is much the same. Plus the whole learning experiance, attracting coders etc etc.

So: even if it's useless to you (I'm not going to argue this point either way), don't knock someone's project and spoil their fun!

Yeah, point taken re: X. I was attempting to lessen the level of expectations for that sort of thing.

edit - That was to Akuma no Houkon. I forgot to use the quote button.

And Melville - that's Lego Mindstorms. I really need to spend more time with mine. Too much to do!

My first use of linux was on an 8mb 386SX-40.... running X and twm/fvwm. So it's perfectly feasible to have X running on it. But even easier would be SDL/DirectFB... no overhead of the X Window subsystem and a complete Unix dev environment. Brilliant.

If a native GP32/Linux SDL library was available, there would be a huge range of unix apps, demos and games that would port over with the simple...

configure;
make;
make install

...sequence. The amount of possible applications and games would dwarf everything that is currently available for the GP32.

It is most certainly *not* a useless endeavour.

papapopalung posted on May 25 2004 at 07:14 AM said:
so this project has great potential then, and isn't just another 'oh, look, i can get linux running on my toaster' :D

cool. :)
It could have great potential, but might not amount to anything. The point being, who cares if it really amounts to much? Its fun to do it.

I cant believe the attitude of some people.

porting Linux is an amazing thing to do and be able to do. It is not a waste of time, but even if it was, whose time would it be a waste of??

not yours, but I am sure you waste enough of your own time by coming on here and complaining that authors are not doing what you want them to do. The day you pay them a living wage is the day you can come on here and say that what they are doing is
a waste of time.

declaration posted on May 25 2004 at 03:39 PM said:

porting Linux is an amazing thing to do and be able to do. It is not a waste of time, but even if it was, whose time would it be a waste of??

not yours, but I am sure you waste enough of your own time by coming on here and complaining that authors are not doing what you want them to do. The day you pay them a living wage is the day you can come on here and say that what they are doing is
a waste of time.
:p

declaration posted on May 25 2004 at 03:39 PM said:

a waste of time.
That's the way. :)

Don - If you read my post a little closer you'd see that I'm simply speaking from the point of view of anaverage user who cant code. I've been nothing but supportive of every coder here from Akuma to Pirotic. When people go "oooh linux yay!" people want to better understand what the fuss is about. Maybe my post was a bit inflamitory but I said it to get some resopnse other than the "it pushes the GP32" response sure it does but until it does it's kinda like saying you got windows to run on it. If it's going to make the GP better I'm all for it, I just want to know how.

Rattboi - Who cares how many posts I have? THAT imature behavior is why the mods removed the post count to begin with, so that people wouldnt go around trying to look big because of their status. If you must know I come here to discuss GP32 related topics and suggestions and take part in conversations, I own a GP32, I use it constantly. Is that not enough to be concidered part of the community in your tiny little mind? But, feel free to read every one of my 700 odd posts if you want to be anal, don't do a half assed job of it.

alpha2 : I 1st thought you were dumb, asking why when everyone was so 'happy'...but after reading rattboi post...I think some are more dumb than you...
who cares about 1k post or just 10...?

see you :lol:

btw : after reading your explanation you dont seem dumb now :)
just an average GP32 user as I am...

thanks for the support Washo.

So anyway The one question I have at this point is how functional is the GP32linux, by which I mean if you hook a chat board to it can you actually input code directly into the GP32 or is it just the linux environment without the GUI?

thanks for the support Washo.
It is (theorically) normal to help others on a forum :)

now there is no CHA01 nor GUI...
the next release (wich should be available as soon as he get a keyboard) will support CHA01 so you will be able to use linux in a shell...(like a DOS prompt)
after we can hope to see a tinyX or something like that...

see you :lol:

Back