Linux Os?

A newbie is a newbie, people ask stupid questions all the time.

Like I said if the guy was a troll he's a really bad one and it wouldn't take much to be a "good" one especially with the last few days we've had around here.

i am very sorry if i have offended any of you i was just another curious on the internet thank you for understanding Alpha2 it really means a lot to me you can join my guild any time you like or i can send some gold your way

i am not a troll this i can assure you of. i swear on my internet gfs life i wouldnt tell a lie especially not to anger such nice folks as yourselves i hope you all have a nice day

Trolling has levels. The least talented ones come in hard and upset people. Better ones engage everyone in conversation, and most of them never realise. The best ones don't drop a bunch of silly hints.

The moar you know.

Gruso said:
Trolling has levels. The least talented ones come in hard and upset people. Better ones engage everyone in conversation, and most of them never realise. The best ones don't drop a bunch of silly hints.

The moar you know.
It does raise an interesting question, though - if a troll is clever enough that no one realizes he is a troll, is s/he still trolling? You could argue both ways - if a troll is defined solely by his (her*) effect on the community, then it's pretty clear that s/he isn't. If you allow intent as a determining factor, then s/he is - but intent is very difficult to pin down, and I'm always hesitant to argue anything from such a nebulous premise (for example, my cousin was once arrested for shoplifting without ever removing any merchandise from the store, simply because the owner had it in for her for some reason - and there was no evidence she could present in her defense).

* I'm inclined to believe, for some reason, that the size of the female troll population is statistically insignificant, but I'm willing to accept evidence to the contrary, if it exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not acknowledging the fact that someone might manage to upset the community without people realizing he/she is doing it on purpose. Put in your terms, it depends on the effect, only that said effect does not depend on people being aware of its intentionality. If anything, a troll that goes unrecognized while still causing turmoil is indeed the most accomplished kind.

differentSmoke said:
You're not acknowledging the fact that someone might manage to upset the community without people realizing he/she is doing it on purpose. Put in your terms, it depends on the effect, only that said effect does not depend on people being aware of its intentionality. If anything, a troll that goes unrecognized while still causing turmoil is indeed the most accomplished kind.
I didn't specifically take this into account, because judging purely by effect on the community leads to false positives - for example, mali and craig created quite a bit of turmoil recently, but it wasn't actually their intent to do so. It was entirely a side effect of their posts (edit: and their posting styles, which don't fit the profile of trolls - the definition of trolling being to stir up discussion and anger for no other purpose than that derived from the generally angry discussion itself). So you'd be incorrect to label them trolls.

Guy for real...

most "normal" people are like this guy. Coming and asking questions without reading a few hours of documentation (because its boring and needs technical knowledge). If the Pandora should be succesfull we have to deal with "non technical experienced" (noob) user, because they can become the biggest customer group. So be nice (and be generally nice ;) ).

This doesnt seem to be a troll (look at geohot ps3 blog for seeing trolls(, he seems to be a noob. So lets help him a bit:

You can play some "normal" games which can be buyed in store on the pandora. Mostly idtech3 games which got a port / are open source.
But you need to make some Adjustments (getting a Linux binary or even compile it) to make them run.

Like:

Working / Work in Progress now:
Hexen
Hexen 2 (nice one)
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3 (nice one)
World of Padman
Tremolous (nice one)
Warzone 2010 (real time stragety)
Heroes of Might and Magic 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Battle for Wesnoth (Turn Around Strategy [nice one])
Caster (Action Adventure, released on iphone too)

Planned:
Savage XR
Spring (Total Anilation like game)
AD 0 (like age of empires)

Maybe (if you convince the company S2 Games):
Savage 2 (when S2 Games releases a port)
Heroes of Newerth (when S2 Games releases a port)
Doom3

With Windows / DOS Emulation:
WarCraf2
WacCraft
Maybe (but very very slow) StarCraft and Diablo I

rohezal said:
most "normal" people are like this guy.
"normal" people don't drop a half dozen 4chan memes in their first thread. He could only have made it more obvious if he'd said "how I mine for Pandora?"

Tom` said:
I didn't specifically take this into account, because judging purely by effect on the community leads to false positives

But that's the whole point, it's like passing the turing test. If you can't tell trolling from innocent annoying behavior, you've been pwn3d by the troll.

Tom` said:
- for example, mali and craig created quite a bit of turmoil recently, but it wasn't actually their intent to do so.

Oh you seem so sure of that. ;)

differentSmoke said:
Tom` said:
I didn't specifically take this into account, because judging purely by effect on the community leads to false positives

But that's the whole point, it's like passing the turing test. If you can't tell trolling from innocent annoying behavior, you've been pwn3d by the troll.
The problem is, only the original poster knows for sure whether this is the case - only he knows whether his behavior is innocent or not. So in order to judge whether the poster is in fact a troll, you have to know what the troll is thinking - something that's impossible to know for sure. :)

differentSmoke said:
Tom` said:
- for example, mali and craig created quite a bit of turmoil recently, but it wasn't actually their intent to do so.

Oh you seem so sure of that. ;)

Well, yeah - craig is not really a subtle guy (at least in my experience of the last few years) - he tends to say what he thinks, regardless of the possible response. (So judging purely by effect on the community may not in fact differentiate Craig from the common troll, but in his case we do have some proof of intent, since we know a bit about his history and participation in the Pandora project). And mali, of course, has long been a supporter of the project and the community (notwithstanding his differences with specific people on the German boards). So I think we can rule out simple trolling on the part of either one. :p

Non-technical huh...

It could function as a labtop (more or less... w/o adequate flash as of yet) and you can play PS1 and before consoles (except a few). Games are made mby independent ppl (like iDevice games, but w/o the major companies). Umm... it's shiny and glossy.

Btw, you're avatar scared me and I can't stop thinking abt it. It's also nighttime over here :(

Btw: http://en.wikipedia...._%28Internet%29

He most likely isn't trying to get anyone to produce an emotional response to it, so he's technically not a troll

Tom` said:
The problem is, only the original poster knows for sure whether this is the case - only he knows whether his behavior is innocent or not. So in order to judge whether the poster is in fact a troll, you have to know what the troll is thinking - something that's impossible to know for sure. :)
Again, that's the whole point. The troll does not care about the clarity of his intent, just the turmoil he can cause.

differentSmoke said:
Tom` said:
Again, that's the whole point. The troll does not care about the clarity of his intent, just the turmoil he can cause.
To the degree that I actually have a point, what I'm saying is basically that in some cases, it's impossible to determine whether someone is a troll or not without having information beyond that provided by the poster himself in the instance that is being judged. I don't care what the potential troll thinks; that is indeterminate and irrelevant to the process of deciding whether s/he is in fact a troll.

If the purpose of a troll is to cause turmoil, then the only turmoil I actually see is people upset because they think he's a troll. If people kept treating him like he's just an average clueless Windows user who's never even touched another OS (lets face it it's not like that's impossible) then it gets boring real quick. In the end if he were a troll the ones calling him out on it are in fact the ones feeding the troll while the rest of the world rolls on unaware without a care.

If someone wants to laugh at a community that actually makes an effort to educate someone, that says more about the sad pathetic state of the one doing that laughing than the ones actually trying to help.

Q: What's 4chan
A: who gives a fuck?

Mithrildor said:
This topic has changed how I think about WoW players.

Really? What new information has this thread provided you about all of the people who play WoW? What is the common denominator you have discovered?

Disclaimer: I'm not a WoW player and I'm not trying be offensive or sarcastic. I'm just interested to know how this thread provides enough information about everyone who plays WoW to make a statement like that.

Thread:
nerdthumbs.gif

Wow this thread was what we all needed to bring a smile back to our faces after the turmoil of the past couple of days.

We should have a poll on the best comment of the thread. My vote goes for:

Harold Hutchins said:
so games like bejeweled then? i can live with that i guess. i want my lady friends to marvel at the power of my OPEN PANDORA when i get it, so i guess that could impress them.

Back