Beta Lugaru Beta Port

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Its coming and will let you get your inner kung-foo on.

Update: and the mystery is solved by Prometheus Its working for the most part, i still have a bug with some of the rabbit rendering at times. It can run ok so far with many of the settings at the lowest.I should have something testable by the weekend.

Update 2:test version up, get the Data folder and copy to /pandora/appdata/lugaru

http://repo.openpand...p=lugaru.pickle

patch here:
http://pickle.gp2x.d...ugaru_gles.diff

video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDRaKVwhxHI

Inner kung-fu? It's not a port of Lugaru, is it? :p (Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? :lol: )

Prometheus said:
Inner kung-fu? It's not a port of Lugaru, is it? :p (Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? :lol: )

ding ding ding, we have a winner! although you dont win anything :)

Its working for the most part, i have a bug with some of the rabbit rendering at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Custom Processing Unlimite said:
can the Pandora even handle Lugaru?
The Graphics are pretty simple actualy (low poly 'n stuff), the Pandora with its SGX Power should handle this easily. As long as Lugaru isn't coded in Java of course. :D (Minecraft syndrome)

This is pretty crazy. I didn't even think the Pandora was anywhere near capable of running something like this. Strange thing, though, is that even when I clocked to 1GHz, it was still fairly choppy. Is it just because the code is unoptimized so far, or is the CPU not the bottleneck here?

Pickle said:
Prometheus said:

ding ding ding, we have a winner! although you dont win anything :)

Its working for the most part, i have a bug with some of the rabbit rendering at times.
Yay, I won! :lol:

Anyway, wow, I just watched the video, and it's looking great (I haven't bought the game yet so I can't try it on my own Pandora right away - I must get around to that!). I've kind of been hoping for this one to turn up, so many thanks to you. :)

(Also, I'm curious, does that rendering bug only occur when in proximity to other rabbits? :blink: )

EDIT: You know, Pickle, the front-page of Wolfire's site currently has a brief mention of the PSP port of Aquarius, in an article relating to the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle. Have you considered letting them know about the Pandora Lugaru port?

Prometheus said:
Yay, I won! :lol:

Anyway, wow, I just watched the video, and it's looking great (I haven't bought the game yet so I can't try it on my own Pandora right away - I must get around to that!). I've kind of been hoping for this one to turn up, so many thanks to you. :)

(Also, I'm curious, does that rendering bug only occur when in proximity to other rabbits? :blink: )

EDIT: You know, Pickle, the front-page of Wolfire's site currently has a brief mention of the PSP port of Aquarius, in an article relating to the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle. Have you considered letting them know about the Pandora Lugaru port?

The data files from the demo work just fine for me, though maybe my choppiness is being caused by those demo files... Anyways it works okay, aside from the choppiness and the wonky controller settings.

dsleaf67 said:
Hey Pickle this is awesome. Gish works well for me and now this one.

What's the patch in the first post?

the changes i made to the source to make it run on pandora.

to all ive updated the pnd, used a VBO for models and fixed the rendering issues on top of it. So it should be faster.

Pickle said:
dsleaf67 said:

to all ive updated the pnd, used a VBO for models and fixed the rendering issues on top of it. So it should be faster.
So we really don't need this patch or do we? and if we do where does it get placed?

#1 GameMaster said:
Pickle said:
dsleaf67 said:

So we really don't need this patch or do we? and if we do where does it get placed?

correct if your not developer then you shouldnt care

I finally bought the game and got to try this out. It runs amazingly well for something so recently ported.

I need to clock to 850MHz for this one, and I edited config.txt to set the resolution to 640x480 (instead of 800x480), which sped it up quite a bit and made it run considerably more smoothly. I also changed the controls to something that works better for me, and they now use only the left nub and the gaming buttons for the most commonly-used actions (I did have to set a few commands to some keyboard keys as well, though) - if anyone wants me to share what I set them to, I'll list what I changed. :p

The only problem I came up against, after doing the above tweaks, is that every once in a while, usually when in proximity to other characters, the game will freeze up for several moments, which gets to be a bit of a pain during combat. It seems to happen in the same fashion as the rendering bug from the earlier video, which seems odd to me.

Anyhow, that aside, I'm very impressed. Thanks muchly for this one, Pickle! :)

Prometheus said:
I finally bought the game and got to try this out. It runs amazingly well for something so recently ported.

I need to clock to 850MHz for this one, and I edited config.txt to set the resolution to 640x480 (instead of 800x480), which sped it up quite a bit and made it run considerably more smoothly. I also changed the controls to something that works better for me, and they now use only the left nub and the gaming buttons for the most commonly-used actions (I did have to set a few commands to some keyboard keys as well, though) - if anyone wants me to share what I set them to, I'll list what I changed. :p

The only problem I came up against, after doing the above tweaks, is that every once in a while, usually when in proximity to other characters, the game will freeze up for several moments, which gets to be a bit of a pain during combat. It seems to happen in the same fashion as the rendering bug from the earlier video, which seems odd to me.

Anyhow, that aside, I'm very impressed. Thanks muchly for this one, Pickle! :)

Thanks!
Im not sure what causes the pauses, thinking it might be physics related. It will also happen during landings after jumping around.
If you get a chance in the appdata/.lugaru/config file theres a debug option. Turn it on and see what fps you get at 850 with 640x480. It will show up as a line in the bottom of the screen.
At 500 mhz and 800x480 the village is at about 10 fps.

Pickle said:
Im not sure what causes the pauses, thinking it might be physics related. It will also happen during landings after jumping around.
If you get a chance in the appdata/.lugaru/config file theres a debug option. Turn it on and see what fps you get at 850 with 640x480. It will show up as a line in the bottom of the screen.
Would it be faster to set the game resolution to 400x240 and just HW scale up to fullscreen? I can imagine the game still would look good onto the small screen with that low res.

fusion_power said:
Pickle said:
Would it be faster to set the game resolution to 400x240 and just HW scale up to fullscreen? I can imagine the game still would look good onto the small screen with that low res.

I suspect going below 640x480 could look bad at least in the menus where things are designed for 640x480

Pickle said:
I don't have my Pandora to hand right now, but I will absolutely do this tomorrow when I've got a moment and then post back. :)

fusion_power said:
I tried to set it to 400x240, but it just ended up tiny (I didn't test how it ran like that, as I exited as soon as I realised it wasn't fitting the screen). I guess that something else needs to be done to take advantage of the pixel-doubling feature that the Pandora's supposed to have for things like that? I always figured that it would be automatic, as I once had a laptop that did that, but I guess not. :p

I tried it with the Lugaru HD data from the humble bundle, and it runs pretty well: thanks! One thing I noticed:
in the first level (only one I tried) the grass has some texture corruption that "jumps around". I think it is similar to this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58775-gles-driver-bug/page__p__940374 . Other textures are fine..

Prometheus: please share your controls setup! I do not have enough hands for the default controls :)

Back