Mame4all For Gp2x V1.2

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
I'm sorry to flood the gp32x.de news, but i have released a new version of my MAME port for the GP2X, to fix the following bugs:
- The random games launching problem has been corrected.
- Random problems with USB joypads should be gone.
- The four players can be controlled with the GP2X joypad.
- The coinage and start buttons of the four players can be controlled with the GP2X joypad (see readme.txt).
- Problem with Namco System 1 games has been solved.
- The vector games visualization is improved using antialias and translucency.
- Fixed screen orientation in Dodonpachi and Dangun Feveron.

Download it on http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to flood the gp32x.de news

No problem, I like this kind of flooding... :)

Nice work!

Regards,
Stephan

Flood for good, for the sake of mame fan, i think that was no problem, franxis.
better than we flood about when the xxxx games are gonna work. :)

Excellent! Updates that make an already great program better are always welcome.

Thanks for all your hard work. :)

I'm loving these releases! Keep flooding! Just one thing though, does anyone else get a crackly buzz interference on some games like Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars? Anyone know if I should be using a different sound setting?

NickLoTurco said:
I'm loving these releases! Keep flooding! Just one thing though, does anyone else get a crackly buzz interference on some games like Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars? Anyone know if I should be using a different sound setting?
Does the game use sound samples? You might need to get another set of samples for that game.

jens.l said:
Here is an arm soundcore for download http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/downloads/sn76496.zip
maybe it could perform your emu.

http://bitbank.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/sn76496-in-arm-asm/

Hope you will make your emu possible also on the Gizmondo.
Sweetlilmre could send you one.

cheers
Jens

The code I released has a few minor issues, but I'm still working on improving it. I've recently added (but haven't released yet) GameGear SN76496 support to that code (which adds stereo+channel selection). I'm also working on an ARM asm AY38910. Please let me know if anyone is interested in these projects and perhaps we could collaborate on improving them further.

Thanks,
Larry B.

I have one question. Will we see either WWF Superstars or WWF Wrestlefest supported in any of the newer builds? Thank you Franxis. Keep up the good work.

bitbank said:
The code I released has a few minor issues, but I'm still working on improving it. I've recently added (but haven't released yet) GameGear SN76496 support to that code (which adds stereo+channel selection). I'm also working on an ARM asm AY38910. Please let me know if anyone is interested in these projects and perhaps we could collaborate on improving them further.

Thanks,
Larry B.
The SN6496 ARM ASM code would be very much appreciated. The AY-3-8910 code would be even more so appreciated. I am working on a port of MAME4ALL on a less capable machine and these would surely help many games. There are over 100 drivers and over 840 games (and clones) which use the AY-3-8910 in MAME4ALL!

Unfortunately I am not an ASM expert however I would be willing to try any code you have.

Is the interface for your code similar to that of MAME?

EDIT: RTFM or in this case RTF source.

Yes, it looks like the SN6496 ARM ASM code could be wedged into MAME. I'm going to give it a go over the easter weekend.

dirtyrat229 said:
I have one question. Will we see either WWF Superstars or WWF Wrestlefest supported in any of the newer builds? Thank you Franxis. Keep up the good work.
Yeah would that ever be possible WWf superstars ? :D

slaanesh said:
bitbank said:

Thanks,
Larry B.
The SN6496 ARM ASM code would be very much appreciated. The AY-3-8910 code would be even more so appreciated. I am working on a port of MAME4ALL on a less capable machine and these would surely help many games. There are over 100 drivers and over 840 games (and clones) which use the AY-3-8910 in MAME4ALL!

Unfortunately I am not an ASM expert however I would be willing to try any code you have.

Is the interface for your code similar to that of MAME?

EDIT: RTFM or in this case RTF source.

Yes, it looks like the SN6496 ARM ASM code could be wedged into MAME. I'm going to give it a go over the easter weekend.

Not sure how MAME does it, but my code needs a sound chip register state and number of samples to generate. I use an event_queue to get sub-frame sound changes.

These are not a priority for me since all of my ARM projects which use these chips are already fast enough on their target devices, but I will move forward with the AY38910 and publish it when I'm finished.

L.B.

Wow this is great, Thanks Franxis.

The vector games work much better now. They look nice too thanks.

There are some vector games that don't work at all however. I don't think it is a bug in 1.2 version, I think it was always like that. I am running plain, no overclock, no ASM cores.

Some problem vector games:

Armor Attack - black screen, freezes emu

Star castle - The game loads, and if you press start the Game sounds work but the screen is blank.

Star Hawk - Works but no sound

Solar Quest - The game loads, and if you press start the Game sounds work but the screen is blank.

Other suggestion: Could there be a way to set the default volume when the emu first starts? On an F200 the sound blasts out full blast loudly before you can turn it down. I would suggest starting out less, like around 30-40% volume when it starts. You can always turn up after.

Thanks again for everything :)

bitbank said:
Not sure how MAME does it, but my code needs a sound chip register state and number of samples to generate. I use an event_queue to get sub-frame sound changes.

These are not a priority for me since all of my ARM projects which use these chips are already fast enough on their target devices, but I will move forward with the AY38910 and publish it when I'm finished.
MAME uses "streams" for it's sound. Basically MAME registers a sound chip with associated variables (ie. sample rate) and a callback function (to update the sound buffer) and returns an allocated a sound handle.

At the end of each video frame, streams updates the sound channel and uses the callback function to fill the sound buffer. If a write to one of the sound chip's registers occurs sub-frame, streams uses the callback function to write a portion (scaled on % of CPU work completed for the frame) of the buffer.

So there are two approaches, use MAME's method of updating the sound buffer on each change to the sound chip's registers (possible not as efficient) or queue the events like you do and write them all out.

Some questions:

Does the function SN76496GenSamples() scale what it writes to the buffer relative to the number of samples to generate?

Also does SN76496GenSamples() create 16-bit or 8-bit samples? The .C code comment says 8-bit but the last line of the code...

CODE
pBuf = (c << 7);

...seems to be shifting it up to be a 16-bit sample :)

Interesting code, thanks.

I downloaded it from your site, but you mention a later version? Would be very interested in this.

Back