My Mp Pandora

Sugar_Kane said:
I think the buttons should spell out 'ARSE' and avoid the whole A,B,X,Y minefield
LOL, but you have a point, why not use A, B, C, D and put it like this:

_D_
C_A
_B_

What is Nintendo going to do, say 'You put the A and the B in the exact same place we did!'

EDIT, I can not get my button layout to look as good as everyone else does. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
They might not be final, but they are the first MP Pandoras. The previous ones had been using CNCed or FDMed cases. These are the first one where they've used injection molded cases that came from the actual Pandora case molds.

*GAAAAASP*

Stupid effing sleep!!! I missed to live show!

Anyways, good to see how far this has come. Can't wait to have mine!

darien said:
It's too bad we couldn't just blatantly use the Super Nintendo layout.

Guys... seriously... use a screwdriver, take out the buttons, move them around, and reassemble it. You can use xmodmap to reassign the logical locations of each key or you can just think about the physical locations. Basically if someone writes an SNES emulator, they aren't going to be like "well the button that was called "a" should be "a" in the emulator," they'll say "the bottom button is a so the bottom button on pandora will have that function" even if the button is labeled "b". So just move the physical labels around into the layout you prefer.

rabidpoobear said:
darien said:

Guys... seriously... use a screwdriver, take out the buttons, move them around, and reassemble it. You can use xmodmap to reassign the logical locations of each key or you can just think about the physical locations. Basically if someone writes an SNES emulator, they aren't going to be like "well the button that was called "a" should be "a" in the emulator," they'll say "the bottom button is a so the bottom button on pandora will have that function" even if the button is labeled "b". So just move the physical labels around into the layout you prefer.

Aren't the buttons on a mat?

Bigun said:
rabidpoobear said:
darien said:

phoca_thumb_l_fincase1.jpg

rabidpoobear said:
darien said:

On the GP2X I remember the Game Gear emulator mapped the buttons to A and B, which were across from each other. I don't remember who coded it, but every update I was waiting for him to remap them. You could remap them in the GUI but you had to do it every time you loaded a rom. This is why copying the SNES buttons is best, A is next to B and X is next to Y. Even if you reversed A and B and then X and Y it would be great. I think the only way to make people happy is to have Craig stipulate that to get into the App Store you need to have the buttons mappable, and in the case I put fourth above have the mapping stick between loading and launching.

Remapping the buttons should be no problem at all. When playing FFXII International on emulator where X is swapped with O (as in all Japanese PS# games), I've simply remapped those two so that I press X on my sixaxis when I'm supposed to press O to open doors, talk with people, etc. Just those quickenings where X is X so I have to press O instead, but that's a minor problem, almost a reflex by now.

Vlynndar said:
Bigun said:
rabidpoobear said:
darien said:

phoca_thumb_l_fincase1.jpg

Good, good..... now will we void the warranty by popping the case to change the buttons?

S-r-ex said:
Remapping the buttons should be no problem at all. When playing FFXII International on emulator where X is swapped with O (as in all Japanese PS# games), I've simply remapped those two so that I press X on my sixaxis when I'm supposed to press O to open doors, talk with people, etc. Just those quickenings where X is X so I have to press O instead, but that's a minor problem, almost a reflex by now.
That is if the emulator on the Pandora supports it. If the program doesn't support re-mapping then it's a huge inconvenience. Then, if the programmer maps the buttons to what they are on the Pandora, i.e. A=A B=B Y=Y X=X then the buttons won't be like you remember them when you originally played them.

second exodous said:
S-r-ex said:
That is if the emulator on the Pandora supports it. If the program doesn't support re-mapping then it's a huge inconvenience. Then, if the programmer maps the buttons to what they are on the Pandora, i.e. A=A B=B Y=Y X=X then the buttons won't be like you remember them when you originally played them.

Usually button mapping is up to the emulator, isn't it?

Bigun said:
second exodous said:
S-r-ex said:

My point exactly, if who ever writes the emulator doesn't put that feature in then it's not an option. If someone ports an existing emulator that has it originally but for some reason decides to leave that option out you're without it also.

second exodous said:
Bigun said:
second exodous said:
S-r-ex said:

My point exactly, if who ever writes the emulator doesn't put that feature in then it's not an option. If someone ports an existing emulator that has it originally but for some reason decides to leave that option out you're without it also.

Surely they thought of someone plugging in their own controller.... or better yet, if they ported ZSNES (for example) they would port all the features. I wouldn't have any worries there.

Bigun said:
second exodous said:
S-r-ex said:

It doesn't have to be. It's not difficult to make a bash script that will rewrite your xmodmap to remap your keys anytime you run the emu and then map them back when you exit the app. And that's only if you don't want a permanent layout change, you could have the script different for every emu or app you played so the buttons were automatically configured how you liked them.

Alternatively, you can just have a GUI where you can map your buttons how you want and save the changes to the keymap file. The GUI can be all fancy and pretend like it's not just writing a txt file if it makes you feel better. All button presses are going to come through X (no one's going to be writing below the Linux level) anyway.

Basically it would be more convenient and user-friendly if they let you map it in-emu but it's not as big an inconvenience as everyone's making it out to be because this isn't the GP2X and we have full Linux and we are smart and the workarounds are not extraordinarily complex.

Bigun said:
second exodous said:
Bigun said:
second exodous said:
S-r-ex said:

Surely they thought of someone plugging in their own controller.... or better yet, if they ported ZSNES (for example) they would port all the features. I wouldn't have any worries there.
GP2X had problems with people porting code and cutting things out, it could happen here. I hope every program has mappable buttons, I really do, every modern emulator/game/program has it but when it's a hobby platform like this people don't adhere to standards all the time, like the GP2X.

rabidpoobear said:
It doesn't have to be. It's not difficult to make a bash script that will rewrite your xmodmap to remap your keys anytime you run the emu and then map them back when you exit the app. And that's only if you don't want a permanent layout change, you could have the script different for every emu or app you played so the buttons were automatically configured how you liked them.

Alternatively, you can just have a GUI where you can map your buttons how you want and save the changes to the keymap file. The GUI can be all fancy and pretend like it's not just writing a txt file if it makes you feel better. All button presses are going to come through X (no one's going to be writing below the Linux level) anyway.

I was thinking of doing this, but it's too complicated for most users. Maybe a GUI for this could be written?

rabidpoobear said:
Basically it would be more convenient and user-friendly if they let you map it in-emu but it's not as big an inconvenience as everyone's making it out to be because this isn't the GP2X and we have full Linux and we are smart and the workarounds are not extraordinarily complex.
I wouldn't think so either, but some ports on the GP2X didn't port this or write it into the home brew games.

EDIT: Double post, I don't care, too tired to copy/paste this into my above post and put 'Double Post' in here.

Back