My Mp Pandora

Just use xmodmap, it's not that hard. I'm sure there'll be a guide somewhere on how to re-map keys if you change the layout of the buttons to the SNES layout (or any other layout). It's the only real solution that works when the program doesn't have an option for re-mapping. Also, anything that uses SDL won't be an issue, as they said (IIRC) that the SDL key codes are by button location, not by button name (as the hardware has no idea what button is named what).

In fact, if I'm thinking about this right, all software should work by button location...

The button layout debate must be the most insignificant of them all (same league with silkscreens for sure). I'm mostly going to play SNES games on this thing, so of course I'm going to swap the buttons. Maybe I'll even make a video of myself doing it blindfolded as well as playing obscure games in which they tell me to "press button X" and you BEHOLD and stand in AWE as I magically know to press the "B" instead, just to give this whole issue the ridicule it deserves.

I'd pay a few extra bucks so that all the buttons had pandora logos. That would be kinds intimidating when showing off the device I would think haha

richandcreamy said:
I'd pay a few extra bucks so that all the buttons had pandora logos. That would be kinds intimidating when showing off the device I would think haha

I'm sorry but I trademarked the pandora logo on a button so you can't do that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point I wouldn't care if the buttons were all upside down drawing pins, I just want it in my hands.

Lets not let this turn into a button thread. It was my bad, got people off topic, I did that on another thread today and got people upset.

I think the button debate is pointless because there is no possible way to make everyone happy.

neogramps said:
If you need to look down at the buttons as you play, you must be a bit "special" - your thumbs will be obscuring the letters no matter which letters are printed on them.
Agreed, but as Edy points out, it's not just about labels - it affects software design.

Edy said:
In GP2X, some devs assigned "A" as main button because it's "A", despite it's in a "less logical" position. Others, assigned "B" or "X" because they are in a more logical position to the be main action buttons.
We already know for example, that PandoraPanic uses A as the primary action button. If A ends up being on the left like the GP2X, it'll be annoying.

Not that I want to encourage the debate; we definitely don't need another thread full of this. If I don't like the way they do it, I'll rearrange and remap. If anyone doesn't like that solution, too bad, because that's your option. :p

Now, I refer y'all to the post before me. ;)

Holy crap, another thread hijacked by the button arrangement debate. I have a suggestion for OpenPandora, make a set of buttons with every letter and symbol conceivable and sell each one at £2.50. That way these button zealots can customize their Pandoras like those Italian charm people customize their bracelets.

Back on topic, congrats Craigix. I patiently await news of the Chinese plastic company's further cock-ups.

My favorite comment on the YouTube page is "I should never have doubted you guys. F*** I want a Pandora."

A little faith goes a long way. Craigix, congrats to you and kudos to your girlfriend for not bailing out on you over the past year or two! She must have had a preorder in there too! I know I had to lock myself in my studio for about 4 months while I worked on an audio project for a museum and I could feel I was getting closer to the sofa every night.

Bigun said:
I'll ask again: will opening the case to change the buttons void any warranties?
No. It's been made clear from the begining that opening the case does not void anything. If you want to switch the buttons around or solder in some LEDs or whatever else you can think of, the warranty against manufacturing defects still applies. It doesn't matter if you cut a huge hole in the side to mod in an extra USB port - if something fails that is unrelated to your mod, then it's covered.

However, if you break something while opening the case, that's all on you. If you strip out the screw holes or dribble globs of solder across the board or mod in something that burns out the power circuitry, then don't expect a replacement.

Someone needs to add a poll to every thread, with 'Is this a button layout thread', probably best to add a few choices, like 'Yes', 'Mainly', 'I think so', 'No, but we should use ABXZ'...

Chip said:
If you strip out the screw holes or dribble globs of solder across the board or mod in something that burns out the power circuitry, then don't expect a replacement.
I have no idea, but when I read the 'dribble globs of solder' I laughed out loud. Just now it did just remind me of this:
215154885_Sevgt-L-2.jpg

Gruso said:
We already know for example, that PandoraPanic uses A as the primary action button. If A ends up being on the left like the GP2X, it'll be annoying.
The vast majority of SNES-games used Y and B as primary action-buttons. On platformers and run 'n gun-games it was usually B to jump and Y to fire.
So Y (the button to the left) was the primary action-button and thus I don't feel having A on the left side as the main fire-button for many games would be annoying at all. Quite the contrary.

Gruso said:
Edy said:
In GP2X, some devs assigned "A" as main button because it's "A", despite it's in a "less logical" position. Others, assigned "B" or "X" because they are in a more logical position to the be main action buttons.
Exactly this... I just wish default layout was decided upon ages ago. I don't care what the buttons are called I just care what button is what in code. It's been most frustrating have to rearrange my "in code" button layout because the button map is different again in another photo. I want to be able to say "Press B" in the game and know that the physical B button will do the same thing on any standard Pandora. In very early builds of PandoraPanic! the B button was used as the primary action since that made sense from the button layout in photos of the Pandora at the time.

Chip said:
Bigun said:
I'll ask again: will opening the case to change the buttons void any warranties?
No. It's been made clear from the begining that opening the case does not void anything. If you want to switch the buttons around or solder in some LEDs or whatever else you can think of, the warranty against manufacturing defects still applies. It doesn't matter if you cut a huge hole in the side to mod in an extra USB port - if something fails that is unrelated to your mod, then it's covered.

However, if you break something while opening the case, that's all on you. If you strip out the screw holes or dribble globs of solder across the board or mod in something that burns out the power circuitry, then don't expect a replacement.

Very, VERY sweet. I don't plan on modding, but I will probably be one of the ones to move the buttons where I want them.

craigix said:
Frustratingly I've ran out of sockets next to the Pandora.

I have something in every socket in this room. I was just laughing to myself when plugging in the Camera battery.

I've got my mac, the pc, the pandora, the router, the lamp and the battery.

Does anyone really want to come and see the Pandora(s)? They are so cool you are welcome to come and see them.

Hi Craig,

just live 2-3 mins down the road from you if the offer is still open to see the Pandora sometime!

Would be great to see it and pass on my views to the rest of the boys 'n girls :)

x68000 said:
craigix said:
Frustratingly I've ran out of sockets next to the Pandora.

I have something in every socket in this room. I was just laughing to myself when plugging in the Camera battery.

I've got my mac, the pc, the pandora, the router, the lamp and the battery.

Does anyone really want to come and see the Pandora(s)? They are so cool you are welcome to come and see them.

Hi Craig,

just live 2-3 mins down the road from you if the offer is still open to see the Pandora sometime!

Would be great to see it and pass on my views to the rest of the boys 'n girls :)

Yes you can come and see them, where abouts are you?

Back