My Pandora in a case...

keyz35

Still Fresh
Hello to the community!

I like to put my Pandora in a Case Logic case which has the right size. But I'd like to know : can I let my Pandora switched on in it? Any risk of heat and console damage? Same question in "low frequency mode"...

Thanks! :)

Hello to the community!

I like to put my Pandora in a Case Logic case which has the right size. But I'd like to know : can I let my Pandora switched on in it? Any risk of heat and console damage? Same question in "low frequency mode"...

Thanks! :)
I often leave my Pandy switched on building Firefox in the normal case. It gets nice and warm but has been ok so far...

Last edited by a moderator:
You pandora will generate very little heat when idle or suspended.

It will get warm if compiling, playing video or the like but that should'nt be a problem.

If it stays hot in the very long term (weeks or months in its case at 100% CPU) the processor's lifetime will be reduced.

The official cases available from ED's shop are good insulators but don't cause problems

In the unlikely event that it does start producing a lot of heat, the battery itself will cut out to prevent damage.

The only scenario where it may start to overheat is if the screen somehow turns itself on while closed. The screen produces way more heat than any other component. A small number of people have reported this happening long long ago, but I believe everything was sorted out in production so that it doesn't anymore.

Can you clarify what you believe no longer happens?

I ask because I do know that my screen sometimes gets turned on while the unit is closed.  I don't know what triggers it.

- Neelix

Black rebirth editions both of them,   though 1 of them now has a replacement LCD in a Silver lid....  I reckon the screen going on while the unit is closed is a software issue though.

- Neelix

There's nothing in the software to cause it, I thought the hypothesis was that it was something slightly skewed with the case, the magnetometer not quite lining up with the speaker or something and it would just spontaneously stop detecting it. I haven't heard any complaints with silver cases, though I guess I haven't really been paying attention lately so my anecdote is moot.

The software is capable of overriding the magnet sensor though (note, the Pandora does not contain a magnetometer ;) ) - if I power up from low power, or plug the charging cable in with the lid closed, the screen will turn on despite still being closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The software is capable of overriding the magnet sensor though
It isn't overriding, the entire thing IS software. The magnet sensor is effectively just a switch that calls a script when it senses a change, it's not like some hard-wired "closed=off, open=on" control. Plugging it in or flipping it from low power calls a different script. The only way for it to not turn the screen on would be for this op_power.sh script to check the status of the sensor before turning on and then call the op_lid.sh script accordingly. Could probably file that as a bug report, it should be fixed.
(note, the Pandora does not contain a magnetometer ;) )
Fine, proximity sensor; minor detail that doesn't change the situation :p

Back