My Pandora review

My only only comment is that you can partially correct the ghosting issue by using the "TV" gamma correction in the settings.

My only only comment is that you can partially correct the ghosting issue by using the "TV" gamma correction in the settings.

You know, I encountered the ghosting when I first got my Pandora. But after a couple weeks of regular use, I'm not really noticing it there. Is it possible the screen just needs to be "broken in" a bit?

Or maybe I just don't notice it any more.

Great review thanks! It's only a little thing, but you reminded me that the Pandora will be the first portable device I own with function keys! Awesome! Like a proper computer.

It's also nice to see how much better Pandoras look now than they used to - no more wonky hinges and the likes. Only a wonky battery cover on one out of three of your Pandoras. Now we just have to get to the point where we don't all need to take them apart to fix buttons.

Also good to see the dreaded ghosting. Looks fairly typical for a non-overdriven screen to me, and something I could live with but it definitely is noticeable in a game like Super Metroid.

You know, I encountered the ghosting when I first got my Pandora. But after a couple weeks of regular use, I'm not really noticing it there. Is it possible the screen just needs to be "broken in" a bit?

In every review the are describing the screen vary wildly. I'm thinking it needs to be broken in like you say, users get used to it, or some screens are better than others. I'm really interested to find out what my screen will be like when I get mine.

Excellent review. I'm really happy to see that the d-pad works great for games like Street Fighter 2. As a huge fighting game, that was one of my worries. But it seems it'll be easy to pull of the dragon punches and fireballs on the pandora d-pad. Thanks for sharing the video. :)

In every review the are describing the screen vary wildly. I'm thinking it needs to be broken in like you say, users get used to it, or some screens are better than others. I'm really interested to find out what my screen will be like when I get mine.

I might just be hyper sensitive to it. I've been using (super)AMOLED devices for the past two years (Samsung i8910 and Galaxy S) so, any quick moving high contrast images seem very pronounced to me now. Having said that, it's still not bad and the resolution/size is still pretty high up there (on par with the Evo 4G). So if you consider everything and overclocking with OPP5, the Pandora is still a pretty damn good deal for $350. It easily competes with all current gen devices (sans the gpu). But really, other than iOS devices, most GPU's are going to waste. Like my Epic 4G has the SGX540 which trounces the SGX530 but the most taxing 3D game I can play on Android is Quake 3. And THEN if you compare iOS and Android against the Pandora, the Pandora is the *ONLY* handheld to properly play most games. Full keyboard for old text based games and real game hardware (dpad, analog nubs) are the only way to play games. Maybe I'm just getting old, but when I see people playing games like Infinity Blade on the iPhone, it's all flair. The controls are boring and mostly it feels like iOS games are designed to pass the time in between doing other stuff. The only Android/iOS game that I actively played was Game Dev Story.

I'm loving my Pandora. I seriously can not wait for the rest of you guys to get your Panda's. This is a bad ass community and I'm glad I invested in OP.

one thing, your review seems to imply that dualshock3 works wirelessly. if it does work, i was not aware until now :p . could you please clarify?

one thing, your review seems to imply that dualshock3 works wirelessly. if it does work, i was not aware until now :p . could you please clarify?
I actually thought the same thing when I read the review, it would be nice to know for sure. I might go out and buy one if that was the case. Then again I might wait for my TV-out cable to arrive before I got one.

I agree, it's a great review, so thanks even though I really hate it. It makes waiting for my pandora just that bit harder.

Back