N64 Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karel Jansens said:
craigix said:
I know we are going off topic a bit but we are going to see several ARM netbooks and laptops this year and it's the battery life which will help them sell.

It will be 4-5 years before we see serious ARM desktops again.
This made me wonder: Can we have an Archimedes RISC OS emulator on the Pandora?

I don't see why not, especially for the lower-end models. A good ARM to ARM recompiler should handle even the fastest ones. Actually, would be a good test bed for improving ARM recompilation, since it's probably a lot simpler than Nintendo DS or even GBA (not complex video hardware, straightforward sound, other peripherals are fairly slow or unimportant for emulating). The memory model is probably also simpler.

There'd probably be a better chance of virtualizing this than GBA/DS if not for the way the PC/flags are handled in older ARM.

Last edited by a moderator:
kingchar12 said:
Wait some of you think the wii as a n4 emu? We have talked about this at gbatemp.net. While all the orther systems have an emu for each system (ninteno, sega g ect), each and every single game for the n64 on the wii has there own small costume emu.
Yes, I know. That's why I said the N64 emulator was by no means perfect, because you couldn't emulate other games well by injecting them in the emu.

scottm said:
God Ginrai said:
He did think about it. He's just too busy with psx4pandora and his iphone stuff right now. Give him some time and he might find the time to start working on a port.

-God Ginrai
Is most (if not all) of the work not finished on psx4pandora - I thought it was fully working already? Although, I know from experience you usually need a break from coding the same sort of thing after finishing a large project.

I really don't know his progress on psx4pandora, you could be right. However, he is juggling at least 4 different iphone projects. (probably more) Which I believe is the real reason he doesn't have the time.

-God Ginrai

haptagud said:
Archimedes emulator would be great, Virus and the best version of Elite!
Wasn't "Virus" the PC name/version of "Zarch" which in turn was the full-fledged game of the "Lander" demo included with early Arcs?

For what's worth, psx4pandora is working, but nowhere near polished at the moment, so zodttd has some stuff to work on it still. not to mention, as someone said, other projects, life, etc.

Personally I think he's right. He has enough on his hands already to get worried upon yet another complex emulator project.

Some.. one else MIGHT be doing that instead though, but I won't say any more than that because it might also not happen. I'll just say it's not me and not zodttd :) (dunno if that will get you folks less or more excited... heh)

Exophase said:
Karel Jansens said:
craigix said:
I know we are going off topic a bit but we are going to see several ARM netbooks and laptops this year and it's the battery life which will help them sell.

It will be 4-5 years before we see serious ARM desktops again.
This made me wonder: Can we have an Archimedes RISC OS emulator on the Pandora?

I don't see why not, especially for the lower-end models. A good ARM to ARM recompiler should handle even the fastest ones. Actually, would be a good test bed for improving ARM recompilation, since it's probably a lot simpler than Nintendo DS or even GBA (not complex video hardware, straightforward sound, other peripherals are fairly slow or unimportant for emulating). The memory model is probably also simpler.

There'd probably be a better chance of virtualizing this than GBA/DS if not for the way the PC/flags are handled in older ARM.

ahh... you've just put my (last post) hints for a cold shower! :p

psp shines with ps1, xbox and it's dosbox, gp32 even got a grip on gp advance... cmom now, you know what I mean ;)

Tinnus said:
Some.. one else MIGHT be doing that instead though, but I won't say any more than that because it might also not happen. I'll just say it's not me and not zodttd :) (dunno if that will get you folks less or more excited... heh)

definitely more excited ... ;)

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
psp shines with ps1, xbox and it's dosbox, gp32 even got a grip on gp advance... cmom now, you know what I mean ;)
Xbox emulation on PSP? ... Yeeeaaah. :rolleyes: Pics or it didn't happen.

Hate to start speculation, but gotta say this

strmnnrmn made the daedalus n64 emulator, and ported and optimized it on the psp
He isn't working on it anymore, in his blog (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com) he says that "I'm currently working on a new port of Daedalus. I'm going to keep the target platform secret for now, but I think it's very exciting".

Pretty unlikely it'll be the Pandora though.

Does anyone know if he was involved in the gp2x or gp32 scene at all?

This was mentioned at least three times in this same topic

Okay I think I've been a little confused. I thought everyone was saying take the Deadulus n64 psp emulator and port it to Pandora, but in reality you guys were thinking take Deadulus and port it to Pandora right?

Personally my favorite emu for N64 was 1964 since I could run it with 1GB RAM and a 700mhz Processor and a 256mb graphics card... or atleast a 64mb graphics card. I played the whole OT game like that. But I'm sure there's reasons why it can't be ported right? It is open source though...

The only available source is 0.8.5 version and its for x86...Also is it Windows only?

Phawx said:
This was mentioned at least three times in this same topic
QFT.

HackModford said:
Okay I think I've been a little confused. I thought everyone was saying take the Deadulus n64 psp emulator and port it to Pandora, but in reality you guys were thinking take Deadulus and port it to Pandora right?
No, we're talking about porting the Daedalus N64 emulator for the PSP.

-God Ginrai

For the sake of being thorough (what a strange looking word), how much of the original of any existing emulator would be left after porting?

My thoughts are that no dynarec exists for R4300 or RSP to ARM/THUMB/NEON or C64x DSP, so a lot of intimate knowledge of instruction sets and processors will be needed to support a dynarec. Then graphics are not written for OpenGL/ES. I also think the GUI and controls would also need considerable work. What I really want to know, though, is if any of the remaining bits (emulator engine, HLE audio, ...) have, first, any potential for porting with minimal effort, and second, do they any exceptional features such that it would be best to copy them?

Again, I'm not expressing an opinion of disdain for any of the emulators, as I think they all represent serious works of programming. I just want to hear if anyone else thinks any of them are anywhere close to ready for working on the Pandora (or are closer than any of the others).

Happy said:
For the sake of being thorough (what a strange looking word), how much of the original of any existing emulator would be left after porting?
Very little. Strmnnrmn's Daedalus is heavily optimized for the PSP. He spent a huge amount of time on it, it's about as optimized as it can get, it's still only marginally playable with two or three games, and that's without sound.

Considering the vast amount of software that can easily be ported to the Pandora, the thousands of open source games and applications that will run flawlessly within weeks of launch, it's a little silly to dwell so much on one emulator that may or may not ever happen to a useful extent, and certainly won't happen soon.

Chip...
2793515731_ffae442a7d.jpg

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Chip said:
Happy said:
Very little. Strmnnrmn's Daedalus is heavily optimized for the PSP. He spent a huge amount of time on it, it's about as optimized as it can get, it's still only marginally playable with two or three games, and that's without sound.
Doesn't Daedalus X64 also run on x86, though? That should mean it's pretty cleanly separated in portable and non-portable parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back