Beta Nail''''''''s Adventure Wip

jsmtux

Still Fresh
Here is an alpha testing of Nail's adventure.

Linux version:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=362

The needed libraries are SDL and SDL_Image

Windows version:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=365

Remember it`s an early alpha and has some bugs but i`ll soon post and update

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great :)

Nails jumps weirdly, but it looks really good and playable :)

Crappy video by.. me :

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OGS8zzkzQQ

Thank you very much for the reply

I know jumping is not really ok; but i's now being fixed

Great video, really funny; but, haven't you tried shooting? ;)
you can choose weapons with 2 and 3 and shoot with the spacebar

Looking very good.

Some things Id like to see (don't know if youve already thought of it)
- Enemies should be able to shoot while jumping/falling down
- You should use a health system like in zelda (with hearts) , its an easy to look at system and you can easily see after a lvl up how much your life has increased.
-Death animation
-Better jumping.

I know its a early wip , but Id just wanted to tell ya Id like to see such things next alpha.

Btw , looking very nice atm.

@hells dark: don't know why he can't shoot... it's weird; i check it in more computers

@Mithrildor: Thanks for the feedback!! Yes i'll have to implement all of it; but I am right now working on a harpoon gun

About the game it's not only developed by me; I did all de coding, but the artwork and the idea is from mr. gonzo, and it is discussed in this thread:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...5440&st=225

'jsmtux' said:
@hells dark: don't know why he can't shoot... it's weird; i check it in more computers

@Mithrildor: Thanks for the feedback!! Yes i'll have to implement all of it; but I am right now working on a harpoon gun

About the game it's not only developed by me; I did all de coding, but the artwork and the idea is from mr. gonzo, and it is discussed in this thread:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...5440&st=225

I don't know.. i just tried it on my laptop, same issue.

2 or 3 do nothing..

(i use linux)

'Mr.Gonzo' said:
I can't even test it ! MEH.
When's the windows version coming out ? ahah :p
Compiling should be fairly easy with MinGW. Although it might seem daunting to someone who hasn't done it before, though :)

actually it might be easiest with devc++ which is minggw + an ide that you can just use drop in library development pakckages

you can get the portable USB key version too pretty handy

'cb88' said:
actually it might be easiest with devc++ which is minggw + an ide that you can just use drop in library development pakckages

you can get the portable USB key version too pretty handy
Yes, but this is not using a Dev-C++ project file, it's using a makefile.

ah... I forgot about that.. heh.. just install debian in virtualbox

then run as root or using sudo

aptitude install libsdl1.2 libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev build-essential

and you should be able to simply build it by opening a terminal in the source directly and merely typing the word make and pressing enter

then typing ./main to run the game

if you go the debian route make sure you have the virtual enternet device enabled before installing

Ok!
I got acces to a computer with windows (my mom's :D ) and i ported the game

Not the version in development, just the old one

for compiling it under devCpp, apart from installing the libraries I had to do some tweaks to the code; like replacing 2uint" with "unsigned int" and "main()" with "main(int argc, char *argv[])"; but apart from that it compiles smoothly

Please, tell me if it works and what you think of it

I tried the windows version (on my Vista 64 box) which worked fine. Oddly, since so much fails to work on Vista 64 (not my choice on this box, so don't say it).

The jumping does need some tweeking, it is too static in up/down speed, no hang time. Not sure the formula most side scrollers use, but just needs a bit more Super Mario feel, sorry to be so vague.

Also, after you kill everyone, there seems to be random bullets coming from off screen.

That aside, looks like a good start. The graphics are nice. The concept seems sound. A good Proof of Concept so far.

Are you looking for feedback? You need momentum and the jump needs to be gradual instead of reaching such an obvious peak. other than that its pretty standard fare for a tech demo

Vista x64 with SP2 is a bitchin OS. Fastest I've ever used.

For the jumping, you just need to use a multiplier for your Y velocity that slowly depletes the higher you get, until you get too high and it's a -multiplier, giving you -velocity.

ahaha he repeated many times that it was going to be tweaked. That he wanted to concentrate on harder things for now. ahah.

Tested it , Nail should be able to jump higher too , Could get speed gain when running for longer a bit like mario.

Bullets of the enemy could be a little slower compared to the heros. think of metal slug.

A spread for the shotgun would be welcome too!

Health bar

Enemy resistance too.

Anyway , its a good alpha !

just posting me wish list hehe.

'PoisonedV' said:
Are you looking for feedback? You need momentum and the jump needs to be gradual instead of reaching such an obvious peak. other than that its pretty standard fare for a tech demo
Yeah, the jumping was a bit annoying.

Back