Beta Nail''''''''s Adventure Wip

'Butterman' said:
Vista x64 with SP2 is a bitchin OS. Fastest I've ever used.
Off Topic: I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean it was slow, I meant that *a lot* of stuff that worked on XP do not in Vista 64 SP2. Especially HW drivers and driver based programs. Enforced security on these things that Vista doesn't let you override (hey, it's only my machine, why should I get to chose what gets installed?).

Peer Guardian 2 is sorely missed.

/end side topic.

Yes, I do realize the jumping was mentioned, which is why I tried to describe exactly what I think was wonky about it other than a vague sentiment about it being messed up.

Good concept and good start. Let me know if you want any more play testing done.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the feedback!
About the progress, i think that by the weekend I'll have fixed the jumping thing and implemented most if not all of gonzo's wish list as it is pretty straightforward, as well as added different enemies; who maybe must be shot twice in order to die, or maybe have different guns... don't know.

The only thing annoying me is the harpoon gun; not only because it is hard to code, it is also the gameplay; should nail be able to shoot anywhere to climb or just special places(as in metroid)? should I implement true rope physics or just cheat them? What do you think?

'jsmtux' said:
Thank you all for the feedback!
About the progress, i think that by the weekend I'll have fixed the jumping thing and implemented most if not all of gonzo's wish list as it is pretty straightforward, as well as added different enemies; who maybe must be shot twice in order to die, or maybe have different guns... don't know.

The only thing annoying me is the harpoon gun; not only because it is hard to code, it is also the gameplay; should nail be able to shoot anywhere to climb or just special places(as in metroid)? should I implement true rope physics or just cheat them? What do you think?
In a shooter of this style, I don't know that rope physics (e.g. life like projectile trajectory) is required. I'm sure we don't all expect life like jumping (e.g. changing direction or slowing down after jump isn't life like, but almost a requirement for side scrollers/platformers). So for the grapple, if you do use it to climb, I think a straight shot should be fine. Such as Bionic Commando or almost every game of this type that has such a mechanism.

IMHO.

As for: if you should actually use a grapple to climb, that may be more of a nice to have at first. It would add a lot to gameplay but as you said, hard to implement (plus then there's swing physics to account for and dynamic collisions all over the place on possibly *any* surface). Maybe get the basics down first, then look at further grapple enhancements?

If you do implement a pulling/swinging grapple, I think Bionic Commando has a good take on it. You may want to check out the re-release (even if just for fun, I believe there might be a free demo).

'BackAssward' said:
Peer Guardian 2

1orlo5.jpg

^^ Hurp durp.

BackAssward, I wasn't trying to say what you said wasn't true, I was just expressing my love for this OS. I love, how it never crashes, how it always runs fast. Etc etc.

/offtopic

jsmtux: Rope physics aren't really that hard at all, you can emulate them at a basic level with simple mechanics. You shouldn't need to take them very far at all for a sidescroller. You don't need a physics engine, those are for numpties, just implement gravity as a force acting downwards, then use sine and cosine to work out which direction the tension in the rope is acting in and apply that force to the downwards gravity. If you do everything correctly, it should just work. The angle of the rope relative to the character should be constantly changing, then when you pull forces off that, you will get a really cool swinging effect.

I've got code for it somewhere, I was doing a spider man style thing.

Gameplay wise, you should be allowed to do whatever the hell you want with the harpoon gun, it's real fun being able to jump across the level with a harpoon gun, or get really high then do a huge suicide jump. Allow nail to climb up the rope once it's been placed.

Yeah, keep in mind we have dual analog sticks so aiming could be radial instead of 8way

'Username' said:
Would it use a fire button or would it be assumed when the analog stick was moved?
I assume that it would be a weapon, just like the others. AFAIK, it has two firing modes - one that just shoots harpoons (no rope), and one that shoots them with the rope attached. It would fire like any other primary/secondary gun - probably one trigger for each firing mode.

'PoisonedV' said:
Peer Guardian 2

1orlo5.jpg
Not sure what you are trying to say, unless you are just trying to get a rise out of me. Either way, it clearly was not any attempt to add value to the thread, just some sort of self-gratification post, `masturbatory` you might say. That or you are indicating you like little girls and they need some peer to guard themselves from you.

Either way: ignore mode on.

yes; right now i have nearly fixed jumping; implemented a health bar(zelda-like hearts, really), added enemies who, when shot once only loose their helmet and when shot twice are dead; fixed some issues with bullets as well as letting them go in different directions, made enemies ones slower and got to draw a line between the gun and the harpoon; but i still have to let the harpoon be attached to a wall and use it to climb; as well as rotating the guns when nail shoots in different directions; as it looks quite weird right now when bullets go up and the gun is still horizontal; maybe i'll have something released before the weekend, don't know
thanks for your interest! :D

'jsmtux' said:
... added enemies who, when shot once only loose their helmet and when shot twice are dead...
I could imagine a BOSS who looses arms first, then legs and not stopping insulting you...Monty Python style you know? :lol:

'fusion_power' said:
I could imagine a BOSS who looses arms first, then legs and not stopping insulting you...Monty Python style you know? :lol:
wooooooo!!! Next thing in my to-do list right after the blood!!

Nice man. Can't wait to play some more.

You know, you've got a simple little map format there, how do you edit that? By hand? In-game?

By hand, actually; I planned to make a little level editor; but my to-do list is huge :D

I could put one together for you, I really need to re-introduce myself to proper GUI programming.

This would be a perfect opportunity to do so!

'BackAssward' said:
'PoisonedV' said:
Peer Guardian 2

1orlo5.jpg
Not sure what you are trying to say, unless you are just trying to get a rise out of me. Either way, it clearly was not any attempt to add value to the thread, just some sort of self-gratification post, `masturbatory` you might say. That or you are indicating you like little girls and they need some peer to guard themselves from you.

Either way: ignore mode on.

Dear lord, that was clever. Calling me a pedophile because I posted an image of a little kid laughing at your false sense of security. And now you're ignoring me. How will I go on.
(i know you're reading this post. you wont pass up on clicking that 'view this post' button)

*Mr.Gonzo look at this thread from his lair and rubs his hands...
Already 2 programmers working for him without knowing it,
His plans to build a gaming empire are falling into place nicely*

:D

Good stuff so far.

If you want QA work, additional project ideas, or what ever... let me know.

Nice start. I`d like to see where it goes.

Cheers, BackAssward.

P.s.to all, you can use ` instead of '... given the forum issues... then no duplication happens.
Also, when quoting posts, a simple *find and replace* (in notepad) of all duplicate ' to a single ' will fix all posts up.

Back