Beta Nail''''''''s Adventure Wip

We need someway to target up and down , we should be able to attack more than the guys in the front of us and so is the same for the enemies.

Ive thought about the controls on the Pandora and this what came up to my mind
Left analogue/dpad - Movement
Right analogue - Aiming
R button - SHOOT!
Up and down on dpad/left analogue - Switching weapons

In this setup the player can choose between: Dpad for movement and left analogue for switching weapons OR Left analogue for movement and dpad for switching weapons.

'Mithrildor' said:
We need someway to target up and down , we should be able to attack more than the guys in the front of us and so is the same for the enemies.

Ive thought about the controls on the Pandora and this what came up to my mind
Left analogue/dpad - Movement
Right analogue - Aiming
R button - SHOOT!
Up and down on dpad/left analogue - Switching weapons

In this setup the player can choose between: Dpad for movement and left analogue for switching weapons OR Left analogue for movement and dpad for switching weapons.
What about the 4 game buttons for switching weapons? Or the number keys on the top row? There are tons of possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that the 4 action buttons are also possible , but I think it is the best to leave the number keys out.

There will be much action in the game and its the best to have all buttons close and not have to think about on which number the assault rifle was.

Also we need a Bazooka as a weapon

Sometimes it's faster to press a number key instead of having to press a game button multiple times to cycle through the weapons.

@Butterman: Oh, if you did so it would be really cool; as you see the format is pretty simle and i`ll eventually change it but if you did the gui-related things it would be enough. What toolkit are you going to use? Win32 Gtk qt...
A map editor is something this game really needs!
I have never programmed a gui; so it`ll be a good time to learn for me!!
Thank you very much!!

@gonzo: you put subliminal messages in your artwork, don`t you? either that or yout work is really wonderfull(which is, BTW :D)

@BackAssward: as you know any new idea will be welcome!! Thanks for your support!

@Mithrildor: Thanks for the ideas for the controls; i really had no clue about how to implement them and that looks like a good scheme; but it`ll take me some time; as I don`t know yet how to map the controls using SDL :unsure:

It is wonderful to see so much interest!!! I hope i can upload something new soon!! :D

i thought of a pretty similar control layout , but then there's the jumping button... L1 ? so where would we put the alternate fire button? or grenade button?
I will probably know when i'll hold the pandora in my hands , but if everything fails: Contra / Metal slugs control could do... it would just be less precise.

'Mr.Gonzo' said:
i thought of a pretty similar control layout , but then there's the jumping button... L1 ? so where would we put the alternate fire button? or grenade button?
I will probably know when i'll hold the pandora in my hands , but if everything fails: Contra / Metal slugs control could do... it would just be less precise.
We can just use the dpad for jumping.

I am not a fan of dpad jumping. It always seems to get in the way of playing, and should only be used as a last-last resort.

I don't know what we're talking about here, but d-pad jumping doesn't work well. Like in Smash Brother Melee. Well, that was analog. Same concept, though.

'lulzfish' said:
I don't know what we're talking about here, but d-pad jumping doesn't work well. Like in Smash Brother Melee. Well, that was analog. Same concept, though.
That's why you use the X or Y buttons?

I hated jumping with the analog stick - turned it off in Brawl so I didn't do it accidentally.

'Mr.Gonzo' said:
but then aiming and jumping would be a hard thing to do at the same time!
The shoulder buttons are also available. Maybe d-pad move, analog aim, l-shoulder jump, r-shoulder shoot. Then we still have to worry about switch weapons.

Anyway, regardless of how it`s done, don`t forget the shoulder buttons are available too.

yes that's what i tought but then , alternate fire ?
Maybe a single press of one of the directionnal button could trigger that.

'Mr.Gonzo' said:
yes that's what i tought but then , alternate fire ?
Maybe a single press of one of the directionnal button could trigger that.
Damn, didn`t notice you had alternate fire. Ok, how about: anything you can`t fit onto the shoulders could have two places to trigger them (one on the left and one on the right). So like:

Alternate fire is both: X game key and Number 1 key.
Weapon back is both: a game key and Number 2 key.
Weapon Forward is both b game key and Number 3 key.

Basically, which ever functions that are `secondary` can have a location on both sides, so depending the situation your character is in, you can choose to let go of either the dpad (movement) or Analog (aim) to get at the secondary functions. The choice of those buttons of course depend entirely of the ergonomics of the device. Hard to decide without having one to play test on.

So, in the short term, maybe just make sure you can map all functions to multiple buttons if desired?

Alternately. If you don`t need to run forward and shoot backwards, you can also just used Left Analog for movement and aim. then the game and shoulder buttons for w/e. Another option is have a `look mode` button, so the left analog is movement/aim, and just aim if you hold the look mode button.

Back