New Blog Post

shmuck said:
However, I think that ingrin made a very good point - I've seen a awful lot of stuff like this end up as vapor thanks to delays just like this one. Really, the biggest reason that I had hopes for Pandora being different was the near term release. Anyone remember the Indrema? That was pretty kick-ass too. Would have been terrific if it had ever come out.

So let me clarify my position: I do think that it's worth waiting for a September release for better analog if that's really what it'll take. If, however, there's any danger of slipping much past that or if the supply or manufacture of the new nubs is in any way uncertain, just go with whatever you can find. A Pandora with mediocre analog is better than no Pandora at all.

Don't forget the Phantom, or the BlackBox, or even the GamePort. All excellent ideas, all far along in development, but died due to a delay here and there to fix supposed "kinks".

I'd like to say, however, that I don't really see much wrong with the PSP analog sticks. Those complaining about them obviously haven't used a PSP for a while. Sure, the launch pots were horrible at centering and would be thrown off after constant use, but that problem was solved ages ago. And as I stated before, if you find the caps uncomfortable, there's a host of other options out there to put on it.

Craig also made the statement about swapping nubs quite nonchalantly. I don't think it's as big a deal as some people are making it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
BackAssward said:
_VWV_ said:
<renegades statement> if you ask me, I don't need any nubs at all</renegades statement>
This exact quote kind of invalidates your point on the discusion on a gaming device (and reinforces what I said earlier). You clearly want this as a UMPC and "don't need the nubs at all". This is firstly a Game Device (I am told) and a UMPC second. It is clear what the gaming community wants.

I've been trying to make a notion, that at least for some people like Karel Jansens the quality of nubs is less important than another 2 months of visiting this forum and struggling for "you can preoder now" post. All in all the :pandora1: is a beagleboard (which is definitely not a gaming device) without dvi, but with a nice screen, a keyboard and a battery. To my mind it is supposed to be a mind blowing UMPC, an Atom killer, community born David vs industrys Goliath.. :) The idea, that I wanted to propose was that the first batch should come as quick as possible and should be sold for: devs (needless to explain why it's important) and to renegades like me, who don't care about gaming (imagine, there are some :) ). Certainly the :pandora1: is a device with gaming controls (www.openpandora.org) (though not a gaming device, I think there is a difference). An I also think, that it should get the best nubs out there. So devices from the second batch should have those!
My point is that first 3000 batch will be sold out with ease for the devs and non-gamers. And it will be good both for the happy first adopters and for the community. All I ask is if it's possible or not.

I would go for either custom, or psp analogs. I REALLY wanted it to come out in june, but that date has been thrown out the window. I planned on spending a lot of my summer playing with the pandora, but if it is not gonna be out till august anyway, I might as well wait longer. I just hope it can be at my house by September 19th (My birthday).

I'm inclined to agree with what several others have said; Bad nubs would be far worse than a delay, in my view.

I remember the original GP2X thumbstick (that and the screen totally killing my eyeballs were the reasons I sold mine). Granted that was a digital stick, but it was an awful one - and good controls are important.

I am going to have to also say I'd go for "good controls". I mean I've already waited a long time (constantly reading forums, staying up looking for updates) and after all that time for it to come out with bad controls, it would break my heart :( . For all who have said it before, the reason this console is being made is to make an amazing homebrew device to satisfy everyone. If it were to come out with bad controls, it would be a relaps of when I got my first (used) fat ps2. My parents gave me a MADCATZ contoller. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could never play red faction again after the fustration I had over those crappy controls.

I all seriousness we can look at world war 2 as an example (correct me if I am wrong). The united states used guns that were made more for quality than quanitiy and Soviet Russia (Yes I know) did the opposite. The soviets guns were more prone to jam and break. So in other words, "In soviet russia, gun jams you".

-Spadoof :gp2x

You will....................Eventually be mine :pandora1:

Spadoof said:
I all seriousness we can look at world war 2 as an example (correct me if I am wrong). The united states used guns that were made more for quality than quanitiy and Soviet Russia (Yes I know) did the opposite. The soviets guns were more prone to jam and break. So in other words, "In soviet russia, gun jams you".

I think you've been playing a bit to much MGS3 there, buddy... :rolleyes:

I'll go with whatever MWeston / Craig & Co. go with. The specs so far make me drool, I doubt they'll let me down for a couple of joy nubs.

A month delay = a better experience
A month earlier release = a worse experience

No matter how you look at it, thats what it boils down to guys.

I don't doubt most know I'm already hesitant when it comes to the control designs from a gaming perspective. Heck, even from a usability perspective. Having a analog pad with 1mm of travel is like going back to a laptop with the infamous nipple, for mouse actions. Yeah. It works. If you have to use it to save your life. In all honesty, the PSP pad that probably is one of the more common to compare with, already has so little travel it makes for hard minute adjustments.

I have NO doubts. More is better in this case. And clickable? I honestly cant remember any games worthwhile that used the click, and for any other interactions we can just use a button instead of a stick click.
B!

Spadoof said:

I think you've been playing a bit to much MGS3 there, buddy... :rolleyes:
Mgs3 took place during the cold war :rolleyes: *So Smart* :rolleyes:

Mmhmm, so Russian military technology and manufacturing changed itself instantaneously. The Cold War started right after WWII. :lol:

AireTamStorm said:
A month delay = a better experience
A month earlier release = a worse experience

No matter how you look at it, thats what it boils down to guys.
No, that's how your opinion boils down. Besides, I suppose it doesn't matter, as they've already decided to custom build a new nub sans tact switch which won't cause any delays.

CronoTriggerfan said:
No, that's how your opinion boils down. Besides, I suppose it doesn't matter, as they've already decided to custom build a new nub sans tact switch which won't cause any delays.
where is that information at? :eek:

Canguy said:
When did the US fight Russia in WWII?
Also, isn't the ak47 one of the most jam free guns....
ever? And they were durable too.
Especially compared to the first m16s....

CronoTriggerfan said:
Canguy said:
When did the US fight Russia in WWII?
They didn't. :p Churchill wanted us to, though. We shoulda listened.

And a good thing "you" didn't. The Cuban missile crisis was bad enough.

This is veering dangerously close to a Hitlering. Funny how Godwin's Law seems to apply even to discussions about the design of handheld consoles.

icurafu said:
Yes, it's well known that the AK-47 was a very well designed gun, which worked well in all kinds of terrain. Unlike the inferior capitalist technology, such as the M16 machine gun. ;)
I dont think the m16 is inferior, their vastly different guns.
the m16 is more accurate and has a lower recoil, and the ak47 is cheaper and more powerful.
its a rifle vs a machine gun, both do their roles well.
/last derail, i swear

Back