Release New Games Roundup Video From Craig

I wouldn't say that - there's a 30+ day wait for case moulds now, which means they've got 30+ days to tweak nub firmware and do anything else, without it affecting the schedule.

Thanks for the tip Bennyboy, I'll add it to the blog post.

Regarding Quake 3, is the Pandora supposed to be able to run that game 100% smooth on high detail with future driver releases? I believed that the raw horsepower of the Pandora would make it run Quake 3 in full speed without any speed issues.

gagster posted on May 19 2009 at 01:00 PM said:
Regarding Quake 3, is the Pandora supposed to be able to run that game 100% smooth on high detail with future driver releases? I believed that the raw horsepower of the Pandora would make it run Quake 3 in full speed without any speed issues.
Yes, also remember it's running at 800*480, almost four times the PSP res, something I forgot to mention in the video.

If you play with the detail settings (of which there are a lot) you can see what stresses the SGX, if you activate the lightmap which makes quake3 looks like doom3, it's the slowest setting of all (You're looking at 15fpsish in a complex map). If you reduce the texture detail it gives the fastest results (60fps).

So we can see where the bottlenecks might be, also TI have emailed over a few things to avoid on the SGX too.

There is also much more to learn as we have never had an open system with these sorts of things to play with before.

Last edited by a moderator:
General comments from the SA thread:

- General feeling of "Homer Simpson Car"-ism
- "Why not just get a netbook!"
- Will be a commercial failure

etc

No sentiments that you won't have already seen 100 times on Digg, Engadget, etc.

The original poster was quite enthused, though :)

GeneralZod posted on May 19 2009 at 09:30 AM said:
General comments from the SA thread:
My personal favourite: "It'll fail miserably, just like the GP32 and GP2X did."
If the Pandora does half as well as the GP2X did, it will have still made OpenPandora and company a huge amount of money. Assuming my math was right and break even is around 6000 sales.

nice video:) makes me forget about the long time that we need to wait, and makes me happy about the pandora again:)

Have some questions though...

craigx, can you maby put a 30 seconds into your next video where you show off the main menu of the pandora, how you move icons and stuff, and doing copy and paste...that kind of stuff. i want to see how smooth and sexy it looks :p you showed of the menu already(or someone else) but im curious about doing a copy and paste, arranging icons in folders, and that kind of stuff. and maby zoom the camera in so i can see all the small text, to get a idea of the o-so-cool resolution :)

And regarding the video, supertux wasnt running at full speed, or do i need to get some glasses? :p
And in quake 2 i didnt heared any music - and i still listen to the music of quake 2 these days, i love that soundtrack. is it because you shut the music of, or was it not included into the port...or...?

Esn posted on May 19 2009 at 08:50 AM said:
Nice video. It seems that current SNES emulation skips frames every so often, but I don't doubt that this will improve.
In a future video, I'd be interested in seeing how well any of the latter Commander Keen games (4-6) run.

Don't think i saw any SNES emulation on that Video. Thought that Castlevania Bloodlines and Prince of Persia were both running on a Megadrive/Genesis Emulator.

Hmm....Iv'e expected it runs with Lightmaps enabled. At least this is what I think when I read "Can run Q3". Quake 3 without Lightmaps somehow looks just like Q1 or Q2. ^_^
Well, We always can reduce Resolution if things become slow. But I've seen very impressive OMAP SGX Videos that show much more complex Graphic effects than Q3 does in lightmap mode. I thin kthe Pandora can handle Q3 with all details at maximum, except texture-details maybe (memory limitations). :)

Nice video... I was aching to see the analog nubs in action. Well, I guess we'll see that when the firmware is fixed. Also: I love all the hate from the SA boards. Fucking retards. Just because they're making fun of everything on the internet doesn't make them less addicted or nerdy. It means we're getting to them :D

I think Quake 3 is running with NanoGL which translates OpenGL calls into OpenGL ES calls, which might be the bottleneck.
If someone would write a native OpenGL ES implementation there should be a speed boost.

Nice video. Also, the pandoras been mentioned a few times on SA. i wouldn't pay much regard to their dumbass comments though, at this point theve pretty much devolved to the same level as the once-lesser 4ailchanners

I think Quake 3 is running with NanoGL which translates OpenGL calls into OpenGL ES calls, which might be the bottleneck.
If someone would write a native OpenGL ES implementation there should be a speed boost.
I don't think that would change much. NanoGL is basically what you would be doing to replicate the functionality. Its probably bandwidth constrained, so compressed textures are probably the best thing you could do.

atomicthumbs posted on May 19 2009 at 11:07 PM said:
I'm planning on signing up for Metafilter, which seems like an intelligent community. Maybe I'll mention it there.
Metafilter? you mean fark with an ego?

Back