New Pandora Website!

Looks great! Much more useful and informative than the old site!

As soon as the first batch is released, you can preorder the second one at www.gbax.com or shop.gp2x.de (or even more stores, you'll find them all here).
And, I found this particular tidbit easy to digest. :)

And as some guy asked at the boards how we handle the situation... well, I can only speak for myself, but I have really mixed feelings.
On the one hand, I'm happy that we have a community like you, following our progress and waiting sooooo patiently. On the other hand, I feel bad because we had so many delays and have your money... then again, I see that the only tiny thing missing is the case, which should also be finished soon, which makes me happy, as it means there's a light at the end of the tunnel!
For me, it's a real rollercoaster ride. And while I'm eagerly awaiting putting this project behind me, I think I'll also miss something when we delivered it. Really weird feelings.
Aand this part reminded me of why I'm SO glad you're a part of the team, ED!

fischju2000 said:
It looks good, except "the most powerful gaming handheld there is at the time being." - this doesn't sit right with me. Who says something like that?

I agree. It's not good English. It could say, "Currently the most powerful gaming handheld there is"

But other than that, I really, really like the new website. It's looks great and more appealing than the old site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly it seems like there are a number of small changes (mostly to text) that are likely to be made, but so far I'm loving the website so much I've been linking friends to it.

Very nice... Although there seems to be a bit of an inconsistency regarding ordering. On the "where to buy" page it says to email gp2xorders@gmail.com or shop@gp2x.de. However, on the "About->Q&A" page openpandorasales@gmail.com is listed as the address to email. Also a few typos/grammatical errors, but they are minor.

the new website is really nice

in the photo section, someone who's new to Pandora and doesn't know that its a rough prototype case might think its the real thing.

seeing this thinking its the real Pandora casing would definitely scare me from buying one:

phoca_thumb_l_All%20connectors%20fit%20well.jpg

a big bold "<--- PROTOTYPE CASING" overlay text might be needed unless the picture will be replaced soon.
just my 2 cents.

the keymat looks great btw.

Several of the links on the Community Links page are broken (URLs start with "/", missing "http:/"):
  • forum.gp2x.de
  • today.openpandora.org
  • pandorasource.de
  • pandora-blog.de
  • openpandora.es
  • openpandora.info
  • openpandora.pl
  • openpandora.icedice.org
  • progettopandora.it

Very nice, good work- Nice too be able to read about the developers and what they are doing.

btw, someone should make a new render. The font on the keymat is really bugging me :S

Overall I like the new website. For me it's a clear improvement over the old one: more organized and more flexible
Still there are quite a lot of things that could be improved in my opinion:

-I like the small text icon to change font size but they are badly positioned IMO. I am sure most visitor will miss them (grey on a grey-ish background)

-I imagine the blank part on the bottom of pages (after the newsletter) will be filled with something (openpandora (c) ?)

-I personally would just have put "available soon" instead of "available really soon" to keep it simple and considering there is no defined release date I believe this to be more accurate.

I largely prefer the new home page... the old website had too much information on the first page IMO. It should just contain some photos/renders and information on the product.
For now just putting the technical specification might be good enough as the product is not yet released and mostly aimed at early adopter. Still it would be more relevant to point out what you can achieve with the product instead of just the technical spec IMO.

You could have very small paragraph with for exemple "Extensive connectivity", "Ergonomic gaming control", "Open Source OS", "Active community", "Easy software installation" (...)
Just one sentence for each with maybe small illustration / logo if necessary and a "more info" link which will open a page with more information on the subject. Try to keep a good ratio between text and picture/illustration/graphics on those pages.
It's just one idea of course, I am sure there are many other out there. My point is that once the Pandora starts shipping you should really have something that tries to attract more casual user on the home page. Just the technical spec won't do it IMO.

My other recommendation would be to get a native English speaker take a good look at your text. I am not a native speaker but I believe some part could be improved (mistakes...) and be written in a more simple and concise way.

http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=10&lang=en

>What the heck is the Pandora? It looks like a normal netbook! And what big company is behind this?

I'll try to avoid question like unless it is in the Q&A part.

>We'll try to answer all questions here.

You can skip that bit IMO.

>Believe it or not, this thing will fit in your pocket

Believe it or not, it will fit in your pocket.

http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122&Itemid=30&lang=en

>"Squidge is very firm when it comes to hardware" (...)

Does this make sense to native speakers ?

>"Skeezix is also one of those guys who has been in the scene for quite a long time, he is best known for his Atari ST Emulator Outcast / Castaway in the GP32 / gp2x-Community"

I personally would refrain from using the word "guys". The sentence could be simpler too "Skeezix as been in the scene for quite a long time and is best know for his (...)"

Sorry for the long post. Hope my remarks were somewhat constructive. Like I said I like the overall look and feel of the new website. You could just improve it a bit more.

Stephane Hockenhull said:
in the photo section, someone who's new to Pandora and doesn't know that its a rough prototype case might think its the real thing.

seeing this thinking its the real Pandora casing would definitely scare me from buying one

They explicitly state that they currently do not want "casual" buyers. I'm sure they will polish the facade when the second batch goes in the making.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the feedback!

I already did most of the changes you suggested here, thanks a bunch!
And thanks to Kramy, as he offered to spellcheck the complete site, so the english version should definately become better during the next days.

Okay, here are some more informations what my plans are:
During the next weeks, I'll add more content which will also tell the "normal" user, what he can use the Pandora for. Of course, adding some pictures and videos here and there.
When the Pandora is out, I'll include the file archive (latest files with links to the archive) on the site.

Any other suggestions are welcome :)

Oh, and regarding the About Us area:
If one of the devs involved in the Pandora wants to PM me an "about me" text (including weblinks, etc.), I'll be happy to include that.
Also, if I forgot some devs (I don't know exactly who got boards, etc.), simply PM me.
Thaaaanks!

gene_kultpower said:
Well, nice site, but why the hell does the link in the video-section to my Pandora Video Vault say "Pandora Video fault" ?

Strange typo :D

:D Damn, you should not rush sites when it's nighttime and you're tired :D
But that was a good one :D

Last edited:
I agree much better than the old one. However, I would change the front page graphics, namely the dimensions and the Tux mascot. The dimensions are for a start in different font when compared to the rest of the site. I think they would look better on the right under the specs.
Another small change also would be "Available soon..."

As for Tux I'd simply remove it (personal opinion) or move it down to the bottom of the page. Kind of like an "Intel inside" sticker.

Just my two cents.

And the current status page, GREAT.

nice look.. love the change. a few typos but nothing major.
no doubt you will be nagged to death about them over the next few days.
love reading about the devs though
just hope the current status keeps updated ;)

Woohoo!
Great work. Really like the new style.

And thanks to all the people proof-reading the page.
As non native english speaker it´s sometimes quite hard not to make the typical mistakes.
Therefore i´m feeling with ED :)

Greetings from germany

shodan

I like the new site; definately 'runs smoothers' too.

I was going ot make the one suggestion but I hit Refresh and there it is:

"currently the most powerful gaming handheld there is."

_yeay baby_

Don't cut yourselves short, go right for the gutt :)

jeff

The only thing missing now would be to give the File Archive a refresh too...

(And I don't mean to push the PND Manager here because it is kind of broken anyways - I just mean that the File Archive is kinda oldish by now)

Just a minor typo, but ED's about us page:
http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=16&lang=en

has
Living in Ingolstadt in Bavaria, Gemany, he's responsible

otherwise great update :)

Back