Status
Not open for further replies.
DroneB Dev said:
Dave1234 said:
fusion_power said:
Vitel said:
JackTheKnife said:
Dave1234 said:
Anybody know what the piece above the X button in the first picture is?

LEDs extenders. IMO mini LED indicators will be soldered onto PCB and extended by those pices to let see them as a "regular" LED indicator outisde of the body.
I think Dave was asking about the strange thing on this photo: http://pandorapress.net/files/2009/11/DSC016052.jpg
I guess it's a part of the lid hinge.
No, it's clearly one of the Shoulder Buttons (backside). ;)

Yes, that's the part I was asking about. I think that you're right about it being a shoulder button.

I was thinking that it was part of the hinge, but I couldn't figure out where it would fit. I forgot about the shoulder buttons.

naah, way too small to be a shoulder button, and yup it was strange for me that someone said it was led xtender since it is not transparent.

i still believe it is a part of the hinge(where the spring locks the system in x degrees with snaps),
unless it is some sort of cliping system for the stylus (in/out like ds cartridges)
I think the one piece is part of the stylus and the other part is the power switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took his negative comments as an attempt to advertise the "order cancelling" idea, to begin folks considering it.

I'm not trying to sound mercenary about it, but it seems likely that shopping out the resulting pre-order slot shouldn't be a problem, and I wanted to underscore that. Secondarily, yes, if you don't have it already earmarked, yes, I'd take it as my 2nd unit, I want one to give as a gift to my son.

wolfmanz51 said:
Pleng said:
So why do the purchasers have to be respectful towards Craig when he has shown nothing but disrespect for his customers? That's not the way round business usually works.
"nothing but" i wouldn't say that and its not about disrespect towards Craig its disrespect toward the Pandora and its community in this case. Panorax has been ranting about how he is going to cancel his order like some kind of childish threat. When there is only so many Pandora's available and demand is High I feel Even if Craig wanted to Refuse service to a disrespectful customer he has every right.

Another thread going to heck in a handbasket. I don't recognise the poster Craig was responding to and do not know of their posting history or opinion of the Pandora or (etc. etc.) but as ingracious/irritating/obnoxious as Craig can be, he most certainly has the right not to trade with anyone that he feels disinclined to take money from. And one order here or there is peanuts compared to the whole.

On the other hand - one looks like a power or volume switch to be sure, but the idea that the other is a shoulder button "clicked" with me (I thought 2volume and power button" originally, but since someone mentioned the shoulder buttons I've changed my vote!

Sheesh - even the photos around here are subject to interpretation! LOL

Monk said:
wolfmanz51 said:
Pleng said:
So why do the purchasers have to be respectful towards Craig when he has shown nothing but disrespect for his customers? That's not the way round business usually works.
"nothing but" i wouldn't say that and its not about disrespect towards Craig its disrespect toward the Pandora and its community in this case. Panorax has been ranting about how he is going to cancel his order like some kind of childish threat. When there is only so many Pandora's available and demand is High I feel Even if Craig wanted to Refuse service to a disrespectful customer he has every right.

Another thread going to heck in a handbasket. I don't recognise the poster Craig was responding to and do not know of their posting history or opinion of the Pandora or (etc. etc.) but as ingracious/irritating/obnoxious as Craig can be, he most certainly has the right not to trade with anyone that he feels disinclined to take money from. And one order here or there is peanuts compared to the whole.

On the other hand - one looks like a power or volume switch to be sure, but the idea that the other is a shoulder button "clicked" with me (I thought 2volume and power button" originally, but since someone mentioned the shoulder buttons I've changed my vote!

I'd have to put my vote in with the stylus piece idea. It looks to small to me to be a shoulder button, and also, if it is one, then why wouldn't MWeston have put both in the picture? (Before anyone goes saying that he only needs to take a picture of one if they're basically the same thing, notice that he the second picture shows both sets of lightpipes)

-God Ginrai

ThaDSman said:
The parts and battery cover look absolutely beautiful! I look forward to seeing the full case.These parts even look like they will make the Pandora look even slimmer and of course sleeker.I'm one of those people that just watch and don't post much, but I've been watching this project from the very beginning, and I really like how its going.And I am very happy that preordering has lasted as long as it has.I've always been to broke to order :lol: and now I finally have sufficient funds to buy this beautiful machine.And Thank You MWeston! But I do have one question about the light tubes, are they like the OEM Wiimote's light tubes where there a bit smoked to give a nice light effect or are they like they like the Chinese replacement shells where they are completely clear and you see the LED brightly? (not too pretty BTW)Regardless of the tubes I will still be ordering though.Thanks for the update! :p

So any idea about the tube being smoked or not?

Monk said:

Well it's gives us something to do until more parts arrive, and it's better that arguing about cancelled orders. :)

Pleng said:
keaft said:
I mean really people. Patience. If you wont be respectful, go make your own portable system.

Excuse me, but this "business" is anything but "usual". :)

Paradox said:
what does respect have to do with ANYTHING here?
Maybe it has something to do with Craigx (and the rest of Open Pandora team) being a human being, and quite deserving of respect for taking on this project.

Now that doesn't mean you can't decide to keep your pre-order or not. Your free to decide either way, but it's better if you do it politely.

I guess we're used to being disrespectful to whoever is we buy stuff/services from. And businesses have evolved around that, forcing their employees to take it "like a man" and respond polite anyway (and if they don't they lose their jobs). Of course this is not the case here.

It's not the first time I've seen this. Several times I've seen the typical customer attitude irritating the few "leaders" of different projects that take the time to talk with their userbase. It's ironical that this attitude works against projects being more open and comunicating with their users.

ThaDSman said:
ThaDSman said:
The parts and battery cover look absolutely beautiful! I look forward to seeing the full case.These parts even look like they will make the Pandora look even slimmer and of course sleeker.I'm one of those people that just watch and don't post much, but I've been watching this project from the very beginning, and I really like how its going.And I am very happy that preordering has lasted as long as it has.I've always been to broke to order :lol: and now I finally have sufficient funds to buy this beautiful machine.And Thank You MWeston! But I do have one question about the light tubes, are they like the OEM Wiimote's light tubes where there a bit smoked to give a nice light effect or are they like they like the Chinese replacement shells where they are completely clear and you see the LED brightly? (not too pretty BTW)Regardless of the tubes I will still be ordering though.Thanks for the update! :p

Quiet, people are busy being immature idiots about how craig acts in his off time.

In all seriousness, even if the tube isn't smoked I'm more than willing to bet that the tube will defuse the LED light enough to not make it glare.

Gary13579 said:
ThaDSman said:
ThaDSman said:

Quiet, people are busy being immature idiots about how craig acts in his off time.

In all seriousness, even if the tube isn't smoked I'm more than willing to bet that the tube will defuse the LED light enough to not make it glare.

I hope so, because those Chinese tubes look horrible IMO

or a spot of black marker/sharpie on the lens, tones it down nice, I did that with my mains alarm clock, damn thing was so bright when you turned out the light at night it made no difference to the light level in the room, who the hell makes a clock for the bedroom that`s as bright as the main light?, if I had wanted a lamp I would have bought a lamp :p

Yoyobuae said:
Excuse me, but this "business" is anything but "usual". :)

Even more reason to show some respect to your customers.

Maybe it has something to do with Craigx (and the rest of Open Pandora team) being a human being, and quite deserving of respect for taking on this project.

Many of us gave Craig that respect in the beginning. He lost that respect, in my eyes at least, by firstly making unrealistic estimates as to when he device would be ready, and secondly (and more seriously) being abusive and apparently ungrateful to customers; people who have put money up front so that this project could even exist. Not to mention being offensive to an entire social group (99.9% of which have never even heard of the Pandora and therefore aren't able to defend themselves)! He lost even more respect when he failed to apologise for his unacceptable behaviour. So, no, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the customers to 'respect' the company. Rather, the business should follow basic sales & customer service principles and RESPECT their clients.

Note I am not condoning Paradox's behaviour here. His response does tend to be somewhat melodramatic. I'm simply arguing against the notion that the developers of the system deserve respect 'just coz'

Paradox has every right IMO to vent his anger (if that's what it is), without fear of losing his order. But it has to be in the right place, not unrelated threads.

Maybe we should set up a thread for Paradox, where he can be free to rant without fear of retribution :unsure:

Cmon guys, that much should be obvious! If you RESPECT open pandora, it means that you will let them do whatever they want to do no matter what with no criticism at all! Seems obvious to me! It's because open pandora is not a USUAL business.

Maybe its just me. I just don't see the benefits from doing this kind of things.

Then again people are free to post what they want.

Pleng said:
...being abusive and apparently ungrateful to customers; people who have put money up front so that this project could even exist.
He was ungrateful to one guy who paid at the last minute, and then a few days later wanted his money back.

That piece above the X has to be a shoulder button. I can't imagine where else it would fit.

Also those LED extenders don't look like they're smoked. I think I'd prefer if they didn't have 4 LEDs sharing a single bar like that, but I'll withhold judgment until I see it all assembled.

Sitwon said:
That piece above the X has to be a shoulder button. I can't imagine where else it would fit.

Also those LED extenders don't look like they're smoked. I think I'd prefer if they didn't have 4 LEDs sharing a single bar like that, but I'll withhold judgment until I see it all assembled.

Look at the shoulder button on the FDM prototype and compare it to the piece above the X. Do those look the same size to you?

-God Ginrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back