New Sega Console This Summer

Looking at information on the naomi boards that powered a lot of Sega's arcade games and later the Dreamcast, yes, most of their parts were off the shelf, but it still takes engineering smarts to get it to all work together well. Beyond that though Sega blew a lot of money back in the day which is why they quit hardware development for an all software existence and even THAT didnt help them because they eventually had to be bought out by Sammy. At this point I dont think they're as big as they used to be. For them to try and jump back into console waters with sharks like MS, Sony, and even Nintendo would be fool hearty and risks destroying what's left of them completely unless they manage some sort of massive partnership with someone else, they're better off just staying a Software house at this point.

craigix said:
I don't know why Sega don't use their name to make a new console. These days they would not have to develop all their own chips/hardware. But I guess when you are as big as they are it's impossible to do anything on the cheap.

Imagine Sega buying and licensing the Pandora. Craig and the gang would be immeasurably rich!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova said:
Imagine Sega buying and licensing the Pandora. Craig and the gang would be immeasurably rich!

That would be awesome, indeed .. truly I hope this happens! :)

Maybe Sega jumping back in with Microsoft and Nintendo wouldn't be so dumb, imagine if they decide to make an open source home console? They could use the resources at their disposal and combine it with a good Open Source community... The result has pretty big potential.

EvilDragon said:
Arrrgh! It looks like a Wii crossed with an XBox360 and the controller looks like a Wiimote crossed with a Philips CDi controller... ouch!
What's even worse about the controller is that the d-pad doesn't have a pivot, so the idea of playing Street Fighter on this is pretty laughable...

Just tried one of these and can confirm that it IS a Zone 40 rebadged, same 40 shit games (and i mean SHIT), plus a glitchy Medadrive emulator with romz.

Buld quality is horrible, finish looks cheap, plastics are nasty and the controllers feel like they will fall apart in your hand. Even the video signal is strewn with interference using the supplied composite cable.

What the hell are Sega thinking? :blink:

Maybe they just want some of the money the other Chinese companies are making from these devices. Are these things mainly sold in China? Where did you get yours? :)

Well, I just bought a Dreamcast :lol:
I suppose I'm safe now.

D.C. said:
Maybe they just want some of the money the other Chinese companies are making from these devices. Are these things mainly sold in China? Where did you get yours? :)
I deal with Sega Amusement Division and got one from them a couple of weeks back. It was manufactured originally for Zone40 who IRC are based in the UK themselves and Sega are branding it and adding Megadrive games under license.

I was offered Zone40's a few weeks back at just under a fiver per unit - So they appear fated, God knows what these will do to Sega's already heavily damaged reputation?

x68000 said:
D.C. said:
I deal with Sega Amusement Division and got one from them a couple of weeks back. It was manufactured originally for Zone40 who IRC are based in the UK themselves and Sega are branding it and adding Megadrive games under license.

I was offered Zone40's a few weeks back at just under a fiver per unit - So they appear fated, God knows what these will do to Sega's already heavily damaged reputation?
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
This is a real thing?
I thought it was just some dick putting Sega's label on a piece of shit, but this is actually Sega putting their label on a piece of shit?

Wow. I used to think that other people thought they were cool. (having never played a Sega console myself)

lulzfish said:
x68000 said:
D.C. said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
This is a real thing?
I thought it was just some dick putting Sega's label on a piece of shit, but this is actually Sega putting their label on a piece of shit?

Wow. I used to think that other people thought they were cool. (having never played a Sega console myself)

This guy probably thinks they still are :) .

Sega is no longer a credible company in most old Sega Fans eyes.

They are still a huge player in software sales, despite not making any decent games themselves!

lulzfish said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
This is a real thing?

It's not quite the successor we hoped for to the Dreamcast

Hmm...

A good TV gaming console that could be affordable:

quad core cortex-A9 with the newest mali or other new video part.
As long as it has AA support for 720p and is at least 4x faster than a Wii, and is decked out as a media center.

I suspect what matters most these days is having the library and support to write games for a console, not so much the hardware itself.

I don't know, to me it seems that they may be testing the waters a little to see if a future console to compete with the big 3 would be viable. Of course i'm probably wrong but that's the vibe I got from this. I mean, first the Mega Drive, now this, and the comment of adding more games to an as of yet unnamed console down the road? Maybe they're trying to turn things around? It's possible, look at Nintendo!

Orion4874 said:
I don't know, to me it seems that they may be testing the waters a little to see if a future console to compete with the big 3 would be viable. Of course i'm probably wrong but that's the vibe I got from this. I mean, first the Mega Drive, now this, and the comment of adding more games to an as of yet unnamed console down the road? Maybe they're trying to turn things around? It's possible, look at Nintendo!
I don't think you understand what a POS this is.

Nintendo where never in the financial situation Sega were, Gameboy Advance more than tided them through the Gamecube Era.

Sega is undoubtedly finished in the hardware market when it comes to competing with the Big 3. They ran their business at a loss for best part of a decade, but now that they are predominantly a software developer/publisher, all is well again.

The Dreamcast almost put Sega under so why would they risk that again?

x68000 said:
Orion4874 said:
I don't think you understand what a POS this is.

Nintendo where never in the financial situation Sega were, Gameboy Advance more than tided them through the Gamecube Era.

Sega is undoubtedly finished in the hardware market when it comes to competing with the Big 3. They ran their business at a loss for best part of a decade, but now that they are predominantly a software developer/publisher, all is well again.

The Dreamcast almost put Sega under so why would they risk that again?

Well, imagine the execs at Sega sitting back and looking at how well Nintendo has done with the Wii. The company that they were in direct competition with for years. All it takes is one unique idea and "Boom" you're making billions. I think it would be tempting for a company with Sega's history to try and do. It's like saying, "if they can do it, why can't we"?

But, you are right, this thing is a total POS. They sell it for $40usd at CVS pharmacies. Not sure how Sega's name came to be on it though?

Well, it's neither here nor there, since it's more than likely that this will never happen as one more big screw up would mean the end of Sega!

This comes as no surprise to me. Sega has been developing mostly shovelware for the past 5 years, this shovelware console makes perfect sense.

Sega is dead to me :(

Back